Busisiwe Mkhwebane Biography
Busisiwe Mkhwebane was born in Bethal, South Africa. She is a South African advocate and was appointed to serve as the Public Protector of South Africa from 19 October 2016.
Busisiwe Mkhwebane Education Background
She matriculated from Mkephula Secondary school in 1992. She graduated with a BProc followed by an LLB from the University of the North (now the University of Limpopo).
She later obtained a diploma in corporate law and a higher diploma in tax from the Rand Afrikaans University (now the University of Johannesburg).
In 2010 she completed a Masters in Business Leadership at the University of South Africa.
Busisiwe Mkhwebane Career
In 1994 she joined the Department of Justice as a Legal Administrative Officer in the International Affairs Directorate where she served as a prosecutor on criminal and maintenance cases.
In 1998 she joined the South African Human Rights Commission as a senior researcher. In 1999 she joined the Public Protector’s office as senior investigator and acting provincial representative.
In 2005 she joined the Department of Home Affairs as the director for refugee affairs, becoming chief director in asylum seekers management in 2008.
From 2010 to 2014 she worked in South Africa’s embassy in China before becoming a director on country information and corporate management at the Department of Home Affairs. Mkhwebane then worked as an analyst for the State Security Agency before she was appointed Public Protector in October 2016.
Busisiwe Mkhwebane Professional Positions
- October 2016- Present: Public Prosector
- July 2014 – September 2016: Director of Country Information and Cooperation Management
- April 2010- July 2014: Counsellor, Immigration and Civic Services
- October 2009 – March 2010: Acting Chief Director, Asylum Seekers Management.
- June 2005 – September 2009: Director of Refugee Affairs.
- May 1999 – May 2005: Senior Investigator and Acting Provincial Representative (Director)
- September 1998 – April 1999: Senior Researcher, South African Human Rights Commission.
- July 1996 – August 1998: Legal Administration Officer, International Affairs Directorate.
- December 1994 – June 1996: Legal Administration Office, International Affairs Directorate
Busisiwe Mkhwebane Membership
- She is a board member for the Refugee Fund.
- She serves as the Director of Business Development at Iyanilla Bricks.