Edna Molewa Biography
Edna Molewa (Bomo Edith Edna Molewa) was born on 23rd March 1957 in Bela- Bela, South Africa. She is a South African politician and the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs.
- He has a B. Com from the University of South Africa.
- He did a Leadership Course at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- He has a Certificate of Economic Leadership Development Programme from Wharton Business School.
Edna Molewa Political Career
From 1976 to 1990 she was involved in South Africa’s liberation movement. During that time she was a member of various activist and regional economic development organizations.
In 1984 he served as a chairperson of the South African Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers Union and eventually became its deputy president.
In 1994 she became the first female Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry. In 1996 he served as a member of the Executive Council on Tourism, Environment and Conservation.
1998 to 2000 he served as the member of the Executive Council on Economic Development and Tourism.
2000 – 2004 he was a member of the Executive Council on Agriculture, Conservation and Environment Affairs.
On 30 April 2004 she became the first woman Premier of the North West Provincial Government, a post she held until 2009.
She was appointed Minister of Social Development and in 2010 she became the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs after a cabinet reshuffle.
In May 2014 the department was split and Edna Molewa became minister of the new Department of Environmental Affairs. She is also the Head of Communications of the African National Congress Women’s League and has been a member of the organization’s National Executive Council since 2003.
Edna Molewa Membership
- Member of Federation of Transvaal Women.
- 1996 – Present: Board Member of Khululekani Institute for Democracy.
- 1998 – Present: Board Member of Sikelela Umcolo Board.
- 1998 – Present: Board Member of Saccawu Investment Holdings.
- 1992 – 1994: Member of National Labour Economic Institute.
Edna Molewa Awards
- 2003: Best MEC for Agriculture in the country, National Emergent Red-Meat Producers Organization.
- 2003: Department award for Best performance in the Province, North West Province.
Edna Molewa Husband
She was married to Francis Sethema until he died and they had four children. She later got married to Richard Molewa, a business consultant who has two kids from his previous marriage.