Malusi Gigaba Biography
Malusi Gigaba was born on 30th August 1971 in Eshowe South Africa.He is a South African politician and the Minister of Finance. He is the former President of the African National Congress Youth League and a Member of the African National Congress’ NEC.
Malusi Gigaba Education Background
- 1994: Graduated from the University of Durban- Westville with a masters degree of Arts- Social Policy.
- 1990: Graduated from the University of Durban- Westville with a bachelors Degree in Pedagogics – Education.
- 1988: Student at Vryheid State High School .
- 1983: Student at Mathonsi Primary School, Mandeni, South Africa.
Malusi Gigaba Career
His political career began when he became involved with multiple student organizations including the South African Youth Congress (SAYCO), Young Christian Students (YCS), Congress of South African Students (COSAS), and South African Student Congress (SASCO).
He was elected as president of the ANC Youth League multiple times and is presently the longest serving president of the African National Congress Youth League.
He was first elected to the National Assembly of South Africa in 1999 but he resigned in 2001.He was reelected in 2004.
He became the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs in 2004.During that time he became involved with a new visa system that permitted easier migration between Zimbabwe and South Africa.
He later became the South Africa’s Minister of Public Enterprises. During this time he instituted some of the country’s infrastructure investment programme.
In May 2014 he was appointed by the President – Jacob Zuma – as the Minister of Home Affairs.
Malusi Gigaba Political Positions
- 1993: Assistant at Public Affairs Department at the University of Durban-Westville.
- 1994: Regional Chairman(Southern Kwa-Zulu Natal) African National Congress Youth League.
- 1994 – 1996: Convenor, Provincial Education Forum.
- 1994 – 1996: Executive-Officio Member of Provincial Executive Committee.
- 1994 – 1996: Provincial Secretary(Government, Public Administration and Defence) Public Affairs Department, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
- 1997: Consultant at Macsteel Service Centres South Africa.
- 1999- 2001: Member of Parliament (African National Congress) National Assembly
- 2004 – October 2010: He was re elected to parliament and became Deputy Minister of Home Affairs.
- 1st November 2010 – 25th May 2014 : He became the Minister of Public Enterprises
- 2014- 2017: Minister of Home Affairs.
- 31st March 2017- Present; Minister of Finance.
Malusi Gigaba Membership
- Chairman of Political Committee and National Economic Development Committee.
- Member of Trade and Industry Portfolio Committee
- Alternate Member of Agriculture and Land Affairs Portfolio Committee.
- Member of National Working Committee.
Malusi Gigaba Awards
Jose Antonio Echeverrias Medal for Youth Leadership, The Cuban National University Students’ Federation, Aula Matta University.
Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Achievements and Contribution to Faculty and Society, University Durban-Westville Education Faculty.
Malusi Gigaba Wife
- He was married to Thabong Gigaba but later divorced in 2010. He later married Nomachule Mngoma in 2014.