Ummy Mwalimu Biography
Ummy Mwalimu (Ummy Ally Mwalimu) was born on 5th September 1973 in Tanzania. She is Tanzanian politician and an appointed member of parliament. She is the Minister of Health, Community Development, Gender, Seniors and Children.
As Health Minister, she banned the importation and sale of sexual lubricants into Tanzania stating this would curb homosexuality, which is criminalized in Tanzania. This stance has been condemned by NGOs and goes against UNAIDS
recommendation that providing water-based lubricants along with condoms can help curb the spread of HIV.
Ummy Mwalimu Education Background
- 2000 – 2001: Masters Degree in Law, Pretoria University.
- 1995 – 1998: Bachelor’s degree in Laws, University of Dar es Salaam.
- 1991 – 1993: Secondary School education, ACSEE, Korogw Girls Secondary School.
- 1987 – 1990: Secondary School education, CSEE, Usagara Secondary School.
- 1982 – 1986: Primary School education, CPEE, Mkwakwani primary School.
- 1980 – 1981: Primary School student at Chanika Primary School.
Ummy Mwalimu Job History
- 2004 – 2010: Programme Officer-Governance & Gender,Embassy of Denmark/Danida.
- 2003 – 2004: Legal Officer, Legal & Human Rights Centre (LHRC)
- 2001 – 2003: Researcher at Economic & Social Research Foundation (ESRF)
- 2000 – 2001: Law Research Officer, Law Reform Commission of Tanzania.
Ummy Mwalimu Political Career
- Since 2015: She was appointed as as Minister for Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children.
- Since 2015: Appointed member of parliament as a member of Chama Cha Mapinduzi.
- 2014 – 2015: Deputy State Minister of Environment.
- 2010 – 2014: Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Community Development, Gender and Children.
- 2010 – 2015: Appointed member of Parliament as a member of Chama Cha Mapinduzi.
Ummy Mwalimu Contacts
- Address: P.O Box 2249 Tanga
- Tel: +255786666665
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org