Anupam Roy Biography
Anupam Roy (Bengali: অনুপম রায়; born 29 March 1982) is an Indian lyricist, music composer and singer from Kolkata, West Bengal. He is best known for his song Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও), which appeared on the soundtrack to the 2010 film Autograph. Since then, he has gone on to compose, write lyrics and sing for many Bengali films. In 2015, he made his Bollywood debut, composing the songs and score for Piku.
He was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Music
Director, and won the Filmfare Award for Best Background Score. In 2016, he composed two songs for the Hindi film Pink. In 2017, he composed for the Hindi films Running Shaadi (one song) and Dear Maya. He is a recipient of 64th National Film Award for Best Lyrics for the song Tumi Jaake Bhalobasho.
Anupam Roy’s Music
Roy has been writing songs from his childhood days. His biggest break was having two of his songs featured in the Bengali film, Autograph (2010) by Srijit Mukherji. Roy wrote and composed Bneche Thakaar Gaan (বেঁচে থাকার গান), sung by Rupam Islam & also by himself in another version and Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao (আমাকে আমার মতো থাকতে দাও), which he sang himself. Roy subsequently debuted as music director for the Bengali movie “Chalo Paltai” (2011). In the same year movies like Baishe Srabon, Rang Milanti released where he continued his work as a music director, lyricist and vocalist. In 2012, Hemlock Society released where he worked as a music director/lyricist/vocalist.
Songs like “Ekhon Anek Raat” & “Amar Mawte” catapulted his success to another level. 2014, marked the release of 4 films where he worked as a music director. Songs from Highway and Chotushkone did remarkably well on music charts. “Boba Tunnel” and “Bawshonto Eshe Gechhe” were super hit numbers.
2015 marked the release of his Bollywood debut, as a music director, singer and lyricist, Piku, directed by Shoojit Sircar.  In 2015, he married his long-time girlfriend Piya Chakraborty.
Apart from film music, Roy has three solo albums. He released “Durbine Chokh Rakhbona”(দুরবিনে চোখ রাখবো না) , his debut album in 2012 which contains tracks like “Bijli Baati”, “Tistaan” and also the original version of “Beche Thakar Gaan”. He followed it up with “Dwitiyo Purush”(দ্বিতীয় পুরুষ) in 2013 with a music video of “Adbhut Mugdhota”. His third album “Bakyobageesh” was released in 2014. 2014 also marked Anupam Roy’s first Live Concert in Mumbai at Powai Sarvajanin Durgotsav.
As an independent artist, he and his band released his first English single “Second Sex” in May 2013. In 2015, he did his first Coke Studio (India) episode. He successfully recreated Moner Manush by Lalon Fakir with an additional Hindi verse written and composed by him.
In February 14th, 2017.Anupam released his fourth studio album “Ebar Morle Gach Hobo”. The album consists of songs, such as, ‘Choitrer Kafon’, ‘Rock n Roll’ and ‘Byatha Lage’.
Roy worked only as a playback artist in the following films (for other lyricists & composers)
- Jaani Dekha Hobe (2011) – music director Indraadip Dasgupta/Neel Dutt
- Bedroom (2012) – music director Rupam/Allan
- Bicycle Kick (2012) – music director Joy Sarkar
- Om Shanti Om (2012) – music director Neel Dutt
- Untitled (2012) – music director Neel Dutt
- C/O Sir (2013) – music director Raja Narayan Deb
- Mukti (2013) – music director Raja Narayan Deb
- Teen Kanya (2012) – music director Indraadip Dasgupta
- Namte Namte (2012) – music director Siddhartha Ray
- Half Serious (2013) – Joy Sarkar
- Nayika Sangbad (2013) – Gaboo
- Strugglers (2013) – Silajit
- Kolkatar King (2013) – Tuki
- Unnamed (2013) – Gaboo
- Amar Ami (2013) – Kabir/Shiba
- Cross Connection 2(2013) – Neel Dutt
- Promotion (2013) – Snehasish
- Janla Diye Bou Palalo (2014) – music director Savvy
- Bhitu (2015) – Ayan Chowdhury
- Dwitiyo Ripu (2015) – music director Abhijit Chowdhury
- Chotoder Chobi (2015)-music director Indraadip Dasgupta
- Open Tee Bioscope (2015)- music director Shantanu Moitra
- Amanush 2 (2015) – music director Arindom Chatterjee
- Teenanko (2016) – music director Arko Mukherjee
- Fan (2016) – music director Vishal–Shekhar
- Biabaho Diaries (2016)- music director Savvy
- MandoBasar Galpo (2017) – music director Ashok Bhadra
Anupam Roy’s Contributions in Documentaries
- Warrior Prince (2011) – singer/lyricist/music director;
Anupam Roy’s Theatre Works
- Nariyal Paani (2009) – music director/singer/actor
- Bikele Bhorer Shorshe Phool (2011) – music director/lyricist/singer
- Jibon Gorar Gaan (2012) for George Telegraph S.C. – music, lyrics & vocals
- Ei Samay Theme Song (2012) for Ei Samay Sangbadpatra – music, lyrics & vocals
- Nestle Baby & Me (2015) for Nestle India – music
- Hero Come Home Safe (2016) for Hero MotoCorp- music & vocals
- Amader Balaram (2016) for Balaram Mullick &
- Radharaman Mullick – music, lyrics & vocals
- Release The Pressure (2017) for Mirinda India – music
- Nomoshkar Kolkata (2017) for Central (Future Group) – music, lyrics & vocals
- Maa (2017) for (JSW Cement) – music, lyrics & vocals
The Anupam Roy Band
Roy’s live performance is backed by The Anupam Roy Band :
- Anupam Roy – Singer/Songwriter
- Rishabh Ray – Guitar
- Kaustav Biswas (Rono) – Bass
- Nabarun Bose – Keyboards/Backing vocals
- Sandipan Parial – Drums
- Rana Singharoy – Manager
- Shomi Chatterjee – Sound Engineer
- Arindam Sen – Live Visuals
- Sayan Banerjee – Guitar (Oct 2010 – March 2012)
- Subhodip Banerjee – Guitar (March 2012 – Oct 2014)
- Roheet Mukherjee – Bass (Feb 2011 – Oct 2014)