Carmen Soo Biography
Carmen Soo (Soo Wai Ming) is a Malaysian Chinese model and actress born on 14th October 1977 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He father is Chinese and her mother is half-Chinese, half-British.She won the Most Promising Actress Award at the Malaysian Film Festival 2006. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Management.
Carmen Soo Career
At the age of 17 Carmen Soo began modelling and moved to Hong Kong at age 20 to pursue modelling career. But because her petite size is not fit for catwalk modelling, most of her shoots are for print and TV commercials. She is the spokesperson for Longines, an international watch brand, alongside Malaysian theatre personality Paula Malai Ali. Carmen is also the Brand Ambassador of Uniqlo Malaysia and the spokesperson of Celcom together with Singaporean singer, JJ Lin. She was also the cover model for local magazines like V Mag, New Tide GLAM, New Man, and Nu You. Some of her commercials also include Biore (TV), Diamond & Platinum (Print), Pantene (TV), and Petit Monde Philippine Clothing Line (Print).
In the 1999 Jackie Chan movie entitled ‘Gorgeous’ Carmen Soo was cast as an extra and was later cast in Aaron Kwok’s musical special. In 2006 she won the Most Promising Actress Award at the Malaysian Film Festival.
In September 2008 Carmen Soo co-starred in an ABS-CBN soap opera ‘Kahit Isang Saglit’ that was aired in the Philippines and Malaysia, and worldwide through TFC. Kahit Isang Saglit later earned a nomination in the International Emmy Award.
In 2008, Carmen Soo became a judge on It’s Showtime. In 2010 she appeared in a four-part series of Your Song entitled “Beautiful Girl” with Christian Bautista, which was shot through mid-July and August between Malaysia and the Philippines. In the same year, she appeared alongside JC De Vera in the third season of 5 Star Specials entitled Si Paco at ang Prinsesa, directed by Bb. Joyce Bernal on TV5.
In April 2010, Carmen Soo became a co-host on Wowowee along with Kelly Misa, Jed Montero, Isabelle Abiera, RR Enriquez, Valerie Concepcion, Mariel Rodriguez and Pokwang.
Carmen Soo was the lead actor in the Malaysian horror film The Hunter 3D, directed and written by Bjarne Wong. Soo then went on to perform on HBO Asia’s Dead Mine as Su-Ling. She also appeared in the Singaporean horror film Ghost Child, alongside Chen Hanwei and Jayley Woo.
Carmen Soo Movies and TV Shows
- 1999: Gorgeous as Gloria
- 2004: Visits: Hungry Ghost Anthology : Episode 1413 as Maria
- 2005: Baik Punya Cilok as Lina
- 2006: The 3rd Generation as Linda
- 2008: Kurus as Miss Liew
- 2009: Sayang You Can Dance as Angel
- 2009: Tenement 2 as Isabel
- 2009: My Spy as Jade
- 2011: Mein Herz in Malaysia as Dalina
- 2012: The Hunter 3D
- 2012: Dead Mine as Su-Ling
- 2012: The Borneo Incident
- 2012: Alagwa (Breakaway)
- 2013: Double
- 2013: Ghost Child
- 2013: Shuffle
- 2014: Yasmine
- 2018: Crazy Rich Asians
- 2007: Ghost as Jenny
- 2008: Kahit Isang Saglit as Margaret ‘Garie’ Hang-Li
- 2008: Kurus (Days of the Turquoise Sky) as Miss Carol
- 2009: Ghost II as Jenny
- 2009: Maalaala Mo Kaya: Videoke as Maria
- 2010: Showtime (TV series) as Judge
- 2010: Wowowee as a Co-Host
- 2010: 5 Star Specials: Si Paco at ang Prinsesa as Prinsesa Amara
- 2010: Your Song: Beautiful Girl as Hannah
- 2010: The Pupil (TV Series) as Rachel Sung
- 2011: Maurice Lacroix Follow Your Convictions Private Sessions as Herself
- 2011: Ang Asawa Kong Japeks (TV series) as Lily
- 2011: Showtime as a Judge
- 2011: Cyber Colors Glamour Girl Search as a Mentor
- 2011: Dapur Selebriti Knorr as Herself
- 2011: The Pupil 2 (TV Series) as Rachel Sung
- 2012: The Apartment Style Edition (Reality show) as a Guest Judge (Episode 8)
- 2012: Omg! as Herself
- 2012: Code of Law as Rachel Sung
- 2014: Code of Law (Season 2) as Rachel Sung
- 2016: The Hush as Valerie Teo
- 2017: Asia’s Next Top Model (cycle 5) as Host/Head Judge
Carmen Soo Theatre
- 2005: The Girl From Ipoh as The Girl From Ipoh
- 2007: Rose Rose I Love You as Xuan
- 2011: Angels & Demons BURLESQUE
Carmen Soo Husband
In 2015, Carmen Soo married Benson Tan in Bali, Indonesia. She currently resides in Petaling Jaya, Selangor with her family. On 2018 she welcomed her first born child, Bea, and she shared the photo in instagram captioning
“We are so proud and thankful to welcome Baby Béa into our lives on Friday. Mommy and baby are doing well. Benson and I are very excited about this new chapter in our lives. Baby Béa is so cute and we are so in love with her.”
Carmen Soo News
Malaysian actress Carmen Soo made a short visit to the Philippines for the launch of her newest product endorsement, Clinelle, held last Saturday, February 6, at The Block in SM North EDSA, Quezon City.
After hosting the dating game prepared by Clinelle, Carmen attended to the autograph signing for her fans. Until now, she is amazed that many Filipinos still recognize her despite her long absence from Philippine television. Her last show was the teleserye Kahit Isang Saglit (2008), in which she was paired with Jericho Rosales.
“Honestly, I haven’t quite gotten used to it,” she told PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) about the attention she’s been getting from her Pinoy fans.
She related how celebrity life in the Philippines is different from Malaysia.
“I don’t know if you know in Malaysia, it’s quite different,” Carmen said. “I’m free in Malaysia, everyone is more relaxed. Here, they’re very passionate about the shows being shown and the actors themselves.
“It’s kinda weird being in a foreign country and being recognized and they wanna take photos and there are a lot of fans. They are really, really showing undying support. I’m really thankful.”
BUSY MEETING HER PINOY FRIENDS. During her short trip to the country, the media asked Carmen if she had time to meet Jericho.
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys
4. 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
7. 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
8. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
“Yesterday [Feb. 5], I saw him because we had a fans day for [Kahit Isang Saglit], a fun day out with the fans. He’s great and really, really busy promoting his album and he’s doing very well,” she said.
Carmen added that she didn’t have enough time to meet her local friends for long because she had to go back to Malaysia the day after the event.
“Every time I come, I call everyone I know in the Philippines, meeting all my friends. I feel so busy—breakfast, lunch, merienda, and even dinner—meeting everyone,” she explained.
As of now, Carmen couldn’t say anything about her next project in the country. She just told the media, “ABS-CBN has a project lined up for me. But I think I’m not in liberty to say a detail yet. I think I can only say that it will be very, very soon.”
She revealed, “I’m spending more time in the Philippines this year.”
VALENTINE’S DAY. Carmen said that her Valentine’s this year won’t be lonely, even though she does not have a special someone right now.
“I won’t say it’s cold because it’s a family gathering,” she said. “It’s a relief because it’s also the Chinese New Year. So I have the reason not to find someone or go out with someone. Chinese New Year for me is a family thing. So, wherever I am all over the world, I have to come home.”
Carmen said that she has yet to find the right guy. PEP asked her about the qualities she’s looking for in a man.
“The list goes very long,” she replied. “Someone with integrity, with principle, someone who’s loyal to me. I think people who are faithful with one another is very, very, important nowadays. Someone who speaks for himself very well, and someone who truly loves and cherishes me. Someone passionate in life and allows me to do the same to him. Some people don’t open themselves up to me, sometimes it’s like that. The list is very long.”
Source: www. pep.ph (February 2010)