Cowboy Junkies Biography
Cowboy Junkies are a Canadian alternative country/blues/folk rock band. The group was formed in Toronto in 1985 by Margo Timmins a vocalist, Michael Timmins a songwriterand guitarist, Peter Timmins whis a drummer and Alan Anton a bassist.The band was formed by three siblings from the Timmins entertainment family. Another sibling, Cali, rose to fame as an actress on Ryan’s Hope. The Timmins siblings are descendants of Noah Timmins, a mining prospector who founded the Ontario city of Timmins.
Cowboy Junkies Formation
Following the dissolution of Michael Timmins and Alan Anton’s earlier band Hunger Project, Cowboy Junkies formed in Toronto in 1985. The band’s name was chosen randomly as they approached their first gig. The Trinity Session was recorded live on a single Calrec Soundfield microphone at the Church of the Holy Trinity in downtown Toronto by producer Peter J. Moore. This album also included a cover of The Velvet Underground’s “Sweet Jane” based on the 1969 Live album version rather than the studio version from Loaded. The single featured in the films Natural Born Killers, The Good Girl and Flight.
The Junkies first performed publicly at the Beverley Tavern and other clubs in Toronto’s Queen Street West, including The Rivoli. Their 1986 debut album, produced by Canadian producer Peter Moore, was the blues-inspired Whites Off Earth Now!!, recorded using an ambisonic microphone in the family garage.
The group’s fame spread with their second album, The Trinity Session, recorded in 1987 at Toronto’s Church of the Holy Trinity. Their sound, again using the ambisonic microphone, and their mix of blues, country, folk, rock and jazz earned them both critical attention and a cult following. The Los Angeles Times named the recording as one of the ten best albums of 1988.
The band was nominated for Group of the Year at the Juno Awards. The group has continued to tour North America, Europe, Japan and Australia with extensive North American and European tours following album releases in 2002 and 2004. In 2008, they released Trinity Revisited in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the original recording of The Trinity Session. In June 2007, Cowboy Junkies performed alongside the Boston Pops at Boston Symphony Hall conducted by Keith Lockhart. The program was titled Edgefest.
In the year 2007 they released Trinity Revisited, a re–recording of the album featuring guest artists Ryan Adams, Vic Chesnutt, Natalie Merchant and Jeff Bird. Both the album and the film Trinity Revisited were filmed and produced by Pierre and François Lamoureux. On November 9, 2007, CBC Television aired Trinity Revisited: featuring Cowboy Junkies, which was filmed as the band recorded the new album.On the first (1st) of January , 2017, Cowboy Junkies were part of CBC’s The Strombo Show’s Hip 30. Canadian bands covered songs from Tragically Hip to commemorate the Hip’s 30th anniversary.
Cowboy Junkies have been in the recording studio, and intend to finish production on their latest album in late summer or early fall, and release the album in February 2018.
Cowboy Junkies Band Members
Officially, there are four band members, all siblings except Anton, who was a member of Michael Timmins’s two previous bands.
- Margo Timmins (vocals, b June 27, 1961, Montreal)
- Michael Timmins (guitar and chief songwriter, b April 21, 1959, Montreal)
- Peter Timmins (drums, b October 29, 1965, Montreal)
- Alan Anton (bass, b June 22, 1959, Montreal)
Since their second album the band has performed and recorded with multi-instrumentalist Jeff Bird, whose current role includes acoustic and electric mandolins, harmonica, percussion and Samples.
CowBoy Junkies Albums
- 1986 Whites Off Earth Now!!
- 1988 The Trinity Session
- 1990 The Caution Horses
- 1992 Black Eyed Man
- 1993 Pale Sun, Crescent Moon
- 1996 Lay It Down
- 1998 Miles from Our Home
- 2001 Open
- 2004 One Soul Now
- 2005 Early 21st Century Blues
- 2007 At the End of Paths Taken
- 2010 Nomad Series, Vol.1 Renmin Park
- 2011 Nomad Series, Vol.2 Demons
- 2011 Nomad Series, Vol.3 Sing in My Meadow
- 2012 Nomad Series, Vol.4 The Wilderness
- 1995 200 More Miles: Live Performances
- 2000 Waltz Across America
- 2003 In the Time Before Llamas
- 2006 Long Journey Home (CD/DVD)
- 2009 Acoustic Junk (limited edition)
- 1996 Studio: Selected Studio Recordings
- 1999 Rarities, B-Sides and Slow, Sad Waltzes
- 2001 Best of the Cowboy Junkies
- 2002 The Radio One Sessions
- 2003 Platinum & Gold Collection
- 2012 The Nomad Series (Box set)
- 2015 Notes Falling Slow (Box set)
- 1992 Live!
Cowboy Junkies Singles
- 1989 “Sweet Jane”
- 1990 “Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning”
- 1992 “Southern Rain”
- 1993 “Hard to Explain”
- 1994 “Anniversary Song”
- 1996 “A Common Disaster”A
- 1997 “Come Calling”
- 1998 “Miles from Our Home”
- 2001 “I’m So Open”
- 2004 “Stars of Our Stars”
CowBoy Junkies Video
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do