Who is General Colin Powell, Colin Powell Biography
Table of Contents
- 1 Who is General Colin Powell, Colin Powell Biography
- 2 Colin Powell Age, Colin Powell Young
- 3 Colin Powell Middle School, Colin Powell Education
- 4 Colin Powell Family, Parents, and Siblings
- 5 Colin Powell Parents, Colin Powell Race
- 6 Colin Powell Wife Alma Powell
- 7 Colin Powell Wife Age, Alma Powell Age
- 8 Colin Powell Wife Race, Alma Powell Race
- 9 Colin Powell Kids
- 10 Colin Powell Measurements and Facts
- 11 Colin Powell Secretary Of State
- 12 Colin Powell President, Joe Biden Endorsement
- 13 Colin Powell Iraq War
- 14 Colin Powell 13 Rules, Colin Powell Leadership Quotes
- 15 Colin Powell Net Worth
- 16 Colin Powell Book
- 17 Frequently Asked Questions About Colin Powell
- 18 What did Colin Powell do as a child?
- 19 Is Colin Powell black?
- 20 How old is General Powell?
- 21 Where is Colin Powell from?
- 22 Who are Colin Powell’s parents?, Who is Colin Powell’s father?
- 23 Why is Colin Powell pronounce Colon?
- 24 Is Colin Powell married?
- 25 Why is Colin Powell so important?
- 26 What does Colin Powell do?
- 27 What was Colin Powell’s rank?
- 28 What offices did Colin Powell hold?
- 29 Why did Colin Powell retire?
- 30 What is Colin Powell best known for?
- 31 What awards did Colin Powell win?
- 32 Where did Colin Powell go to college?
- 33 Why was the Powell Doctrine created?
- 34 Popular Posts
Colin Powell born Colin Luther Powell on April 5, 1937, is an American politician and retired four-star general in the United States Army. Powell was born to Jamaican immigrants, Maud Arial (mother) and Luther Theophilus Powell (father). He is both of mixed African and Scottish ancestry, he attended Morris High School, from which he graduated in 1954. He is married to Alma Powell and together they have three kids, Powell has a net worth of $50 million.
Colin Powell Age, Colin Powell Young
Powell was born on April 5, 1937, in Harlem, New York, United States, he was born to Jamaican immigrants, Maud Arial (mother) and Luther Theophilus Powell (father). He is both of mixed African and Scottish ancestry. Powell was brought up in the South Bronx.
Colin Powell Middle School, Colin Powell Education
Powell went to Morris High School, from which he graduated in 1954. Powell worked at a local baby furniture store while juggling between school and work, he used to pick up Yiddish from the eastern European Jewish shopkeepers and some of the customers.
He additionally worked as a Shabbos goy, assisting Orthodox families with required tasks on the Sabbath. In 1958, Powell received a Bachelor of Science degree in Geology from the City College of New York and has said he was a “C average” student.
He later graduated with an MBA degree from George Washington University in 1971, after his second trip in Vietnam.
Colin Powell Family, Parents, and Siblings
Powel’s parents are Maud Arial and Luther Theophilus Powel, he has a sister sibling called Marilyn Berns. His parents immigrated to the United States from Jamaica.
Colin Powell Parents, Colin Powell Race
Powell was born in Harlem, a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Manhattan, to his Jamaican immigrant parents, Maud Arial (mother) and Luther Theophilus Powell (father). His parents were both of mixed African and Scottish ancestry which makes Powel multi-racial.
His father worked as a shipping clerk and Maud as a seamstress. Powell was brought up in the South Bronx and went to Morris High School, where he graduated in 1954.
Colin Powell Wife Alma Powell
Powell has been happily married to his long term partner Alma Vivian Powell (Alma Vivian Johnson) from August 25, 1962.
Colin Powell Wife Age, Alma Powell Age
Alma was born on 27 October 1937, in Birmingham, Alabama, the United States, she is 82 years old as of 2019. Vivian graduated from Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee, and proceeded on to study speech pathology and audiology at Emerson College in Boston.
Colin Powell Wife Race, Alma Powell Race
Alma belongs to the white ethnicity, she is also an American national born in Birmingham, Alabama, the United States. Her husband is multiracial, he is born from African and Scottish ancestry.
Read on for; Alma Powell Net Worth, Young, Parents, and More
Colin Powell Kids
Colin and his wife have three grown-up children who have pursued different career paths from their parents. They include: Linda Powell born in 1966, Linda is an American actress, Michael Powell (lobbyist) born on 23 March 1963, Michael Kevin is a former Republican chairman of the Federal Communications Commission and current president of the trade association the National Cable & Telecommunications Association. Lastly, but not least, Annemarie Powell.
Colin Powell Measurements and Facts
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about the 65th United States Secretary of State.
- Full Name: Colin Luther Powell
- Also Known As Colin Powell
- Age: 83 years (2020)
- Date of Birth: 5 April 1937
- Place of Birth: Harlem, New York, United States
- Birthday: 5th April
- Nationality: American
- Education: National War College, Command and General Staff College, Morris High School (Bronx), George Washington University, New York University, US Army War College, and City College of New York
- Father’s Name: Luther Theophilus Powell
- Mother’s Name: Maud Arial
- Siblings: Marilyn Berns
- Spouse: Alma Powell
- Children: Michael Powell, Linda Powell, and Annemarie Powell
- Height: 1.87 m
- Weight: Moderate
- Profession: Former United States National Security Advisor
- Political party: Republican (1995–present)
- Battles: Vietnam War, Invasion of Panama, and Gulf War
- Net Worth: $50 million (2020)
Colin Powell Secretary Of State
He was the 65th United States Secretary of State, serving under Republican President George W. Bush. He was the first African-American to serve as Secretary of State. His term was highly controversial regarding his inaccurate justification for America’s Iraq War in 2003. He was fired after Bush was reelected in 2004.
Throughout his military career, Powell further worked as National Security Advisor (1987–1989), as Commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command (1989) and as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1989–1993). He performed major roles in the invasion of Panama in 1989 and notably the Persian Gulf War versus Iraq in 1990–1991.
He additionally engaged in ROTC at CCNY and earned a commission as an Army second lieutenant upon graduation in June 1958. Powell was a trained soldier for 35 years, throughout the time, he handled many command and staff positions and rose to the rank of 4-star general.
His concluding assignment was as the 12th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military position in the Department of Defense from October 1, 1989, to September 30, 1993. He oversaw 28 crises during this time, including Operation Desert Storm in the 1991 Persian Gulf War. He formed the Powell Doctrine which restricts American military action unless it satisfies criteria regarding American national security interests, overwhelming force, and extensive public support.
While retiring, Powell printed his autobiography, My American Journey. He trailed a career as a public speaker, speaking to members of the public across the country and abroad. Before his post as Secretary of State, Powell was the acting chairman of America’s Promise – The Alliance for Youth, a national nonprofit organization that is dedicated to mobilizing people from every quarter of American life to develop the character and competence of young people.
Powell is a winner of various U.S. and foreign military awards and decorations. His civilian awards comprise of the Presidential Medal of Freedom (twice), the President’s Citizens Medal, the Secretary of State Distinguished Service Medal, the Congressional Gold Medal, and the Secretary of Energy Distinguished Service Medal.
Various schools and other institutions have been named in his honor, Powell holds honorary degrees from universities and colleges across the country.
Colin Powell President, Joe Biden Endorsement
In 2016, while not a candidate for that year’s presidential election, Powell got three electoral votes for the office of President of the United States from faithless electors from Washington. On June 7, 2020, Powell stated that he will be voting for former Vice President Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential election.
Colin Powell Iraq War
In his autobiography, Powell stated he is troubled by the nightmare of the Vietnam War and felt that the leadership was very unproductive.
From 1962 to 1963, Captain Powell served a tour in Vietnam as a South Vietnamese Army (ARVN) advisor. While on patrol in a Viet Cong-held area, he was injured by walking on a punji stake. The deep infection made it painful for him to walk and caused his foot to swell for a short time, shortening his first tour.
In 1968, he then flew to Vietnam as a major serving as assistant chief of staff of operations for the in the 23rd (Americal) Infantry Division. Throughout the second tour in Vietnam Powell was decorated with the Soldier’s Medal for bravery after he endured a helicopter crash and single-handedly salvaged three others, including the division commander Major General Charles M. Gettys, from the burning wreckage.
Powell was charged with examining a detailed letter by 11th Light Infantry Brigade soldier Tom Glen, which supported rumored accusations of the My Lai Massacre. He recorded: “In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between American soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent.” Later, his assessment would be defined as whitewashing the news of the massacre, and questions would continue to live unmentioned to the public.
In May 2004, Powell spoke to television and radio host Larry King, “I was in a unit that was responsible for My Lai. I got there after My Lai occurred. So, in war, these sorts of horrible things happen every now and again, but they are still to be deplored.”
Colin Powell 13 Rules, Colin Powell Leadership Quotes
These are Colin Powell’s 13 Rules of Leadership. First printed in the August 13, 1989, issue of Parade magazine.
- It ain’t as bad as you think.
- Get mad, then get over it.
- Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
- It can be done.
- Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
- Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
- You can’t make someone else’s choices.
- Check small things.
- Share credit.
- Remain calm. Be kind.
- Have a vision.
- Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
- Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
Colin Powell Net Worth
Powell has enjoyed a long career as a Government official. Through proceeds from his work as a United States Secretary of State and Military service, he has been able to accumulate a modest fortune. He is estimated to have a net worth of about $50 million as of 2020.
Colin Powell Book
- It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership
- My American Journey
- Portsea: A True Love Story from the Great War Colin Powell
- In His Own Words: Colin Powell
- Remarks by General Colin Powell (Ret. ), Former Secretary, U. S. Department of State to the Command and General Staff College – Scholar’s Choice Edition
- The America I Believe In: A “This I Believe” Essay Colin Powell
- My American Dream Colin Powell
- An Evaluation of the Heartbeat Award Scheme Colin Powell
- It Worked For Me Unabridged CD Colin Powell
- The Atlantic Alliance and Western Security as NATO Turns Forty: Setting the Agenda ; November 28-29, 1988, the Madison Hotel, Washington, D.C. ; a Conference Report Colin Powell
Frequently Asked Questions About Colin Powell
What did Colin Powell do as a child?
Powell worked at a local baby furniture store while juggling between school and work, he used to pick up Yiddish from the eastern European Jewish shopkeepers and some of the customers. He additionally worked as a Shabbos goy, assisting Orthodox families with required tasks on the Sabbath.
Is Colin Powell black?
Yes, Powell’s parents were both of mixed African and Scottish ancestry.
How old is General Powell?
He is 83 years old as of 2020, Powell was born on 5 April 1937.
Where is Colin Powell from?
Powell was born in Harlem, New York, United States. He was brought up in the South Bronx.
Who are Colin Powell’s parents?, Who is Colin Powell’s father?
He was born to Jamaican immigrants, Maud Arial and Luther Theophilus Powell. He has a sibling by the name Marilyn Berns.
Why is Colin Powell pronounce Colon?
His parents used to pronounce his name as /ˈkɒlɪn/, Powell has however pronounced his name as /ˈkoʊlɪn/ since childhood, following the end of World War II flyer Colin P. Kelly Jr. Public officials, television and radio reporters have used Powell’s preferred pronunciation.
Is Colin Powell married?
Yes, he is happily married to his wife Alma Johnson since 1962, the couple has three grown children and several grandchildren.
Why is Colin Powell so important?
Powell was the 65th United States Secretary of State, serving under Republican President George W. Bush. He was the first black person to serve as the United States Secretary of State.
What does Colin Powell do?
He is a retired US National Security Advisor and a retired four-star general in the United States Army. He is pursuing his career as a politician at the moment.
What was Colin Powell’s rank?
He was a four-star general in the United States Army. Throughout his military career, Powell served as National Security Advisor, as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and as Commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command.
What offices did Colin Powell hold?
Powell has served in the following offices,
- United States Secretary of State, 2001–2005
- National Security Advisor of the United States, 1987–1989
Why did Colin Powell retire?
His tenure was highly controversial regarding his fallacious justification for America’s Iraq War in 2003. He was relieved of his duties after Bush was reelected in 2004.
What is Colin Powell best known for?
Colin is widely known for being the 65th United States Secretary of State and a four-star general in the United States Army.
What awards did Colin Powell win?
Powell has gotten the following awards and recognitions.
- NAACP Image Award – President’s Award
- Fulbright Prize
- Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Spingarn Medal
- Defense Superior Service Medal
Where did Colin Powell go to college?
Colin went to the following colleges and universities for his higher education:
- George Washington University
- New York University
- The City College of New York
Why was the Powell Doctrine created?
The Powell Doctrine states that a list of questions all must be answered affirmatively before military action is taken.
Facebook: General Colin L. Powel
- Kendall Toole Bio, Age, Wiki, Height, Husband, Parents and Net Worth
- LaMelo Ball Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Wife, Shoes, Tattoo, Salary, Net Worth
- Lee Carter Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Wife, Political Career, Net Worth and Champaign
- Evan Joseph Asher Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Girlfriend, Parents, Autism and Net Worth
- Apolo Ohno Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Net Worth, Family, Athlete, Girlfriend
- Kevin James Plank Bio, Age, Parents, Siblings, Net Worth, Height and Girlfriend