Kenyatta National Hospital
The Kenyatta National Hospital is the oldest hospital in Kenya. It is a public, tertiary, referral hospital for the Ministry of Health. It is also the teaching hospital of the University of Nairobi College of Health Sciences. It is the largest hospital in the country.
The hospital is located in the area to the immediate west of Upper Hill in Nairobi, the capital and largest city of Kenya. Its location is about 3.5 kilometres (2 mi) west of the city’s central business district. The hospital complex measures 45.7 acres (18.5 ha)
KNH was founded as the Native Civil hospital, in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40. In 1952 it was renamed the King George VI Hospital, after King George VI of England. At that time the settler community was served by the nearby European Hospital (now Nairobi Hospital). The facility was renamed Kenyatta National Hospital, after Jomo Kenyatta, following independence from the British. It is currently the largest referral and teaching hospital in the country. Kenyatta National Hospital employs over 6,000 staff and has a bed capacity if 1,800. However, due to congestion, the patient numbers can rise as high as 3,000.
Kenyatta National Hospital Contacts
Address: Hospital Road,Upper Hill,Nairobi 00202, Kenya
Phone: +254 729 406939
Care system: National Hospital Insurance Fund