Erica Jong Biography
Erica Jong is an American novelist, satirist, and poet, known particularly for her 1973 novel Fear of Flying. The book became famously controversial for its attitudes towards female sexuality and figured prominently in the development of second-wave feminism. According to the Washington Post, it has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.
10 Quick Facts About Erica Jong
- Name: Erica Jong (née Mann)
- Age: 80 Years (As of 2022)
- Birthday: 26 March
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Height: Average
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: Novelist, Satirist, and Poet
- Marital Status: Married
- Salary: $10,000 – $100,000
- Net worth: $7 Million
Erica Jong Age
Jong is 80 years old as of 2022, she was born on 26 March 1942, in Manhattan, New York, United States. She celebrates her birthday on 26 March every year and her birth sign is Aries.
Erica Jong Height and Weight
Erica stands tall at an average height and moderate weight. She appears to be quite tall in stature of her photos, relative to the surroundings, are anything to go by. However, details regarding her actual height and other body measurements are currently not publicly available. We are keeping tabs and will update this information once it is out.
Erica Jong Education
Jong attended New York’s The High School of Music & Art in the 1950s, where she developed her passion for art and writing. She also attended Barnard College. Additionally, she edited the Barnard Literary Magazine and created poetry programs for the Columbia University campus radio station.
Erica Jong Family and Parents
Jong was born as the middle daughter of Seymour Mann (né Nathan Weisman, died 2004), and Eda Mirsky (1911–2012) in New York. Her father was a businessman of Polish Jewish ancestry who owned a gifts and home accessories company known for its mass production of porcelain dolls. Her mother was a painter and textile designer who also designed dolls for her husband’s company.
Erica Jong Siblings
Jong has two siblings, an elder sister, Suzanna Mann, who married Lebanese businessman Arthur Daou, and a younger sister, Claudia Mann, a social worker who married Gideon S. Oberweger (the chief executive officer of Seymour Mann Inc. until his death in 2006) Peter Daou, who is a democratic party strategist is also her nephew.
Erica Jong Husband
Jong has been married four times. Her first marriage was to college sweetheart Michael Werthman. The second was also to her college sweetheart Allan Jong, who is a Chinese American psychiatrist.
These two marriages reflect those of the narrator of Fear of Flying. Her third husband was Jonathan Fast, a novelist, and social work educator, and son of novelist Howard Fast. This marriage was described in How to Save Your Own Life and Parachutes and Kisses.
From her third marriage, she has a daughter; Molly Jong-Fast. Jong is now married to Ken Burrows a New York litigator. In the late 1990s, she wrote an article about her current marriage in the magazine Talk.
Erica Jong Salary
Jong has an estimated salary of between $10,000 to $100,000. At the moment, we do not have her exact salary but we will update once it is available.
Erica Jong Net Worth
Jong has an estimated net worth of $7 million dollars as of 2022. This includes her assets, money and income. Her primary source of income is her career as a novelist, satirist, and poet. Through her various sources of income, Erica has been able to accumulate a good fortune but prefers to lead a modest lifestyle.
Erica Jong Measurements and Facts
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about Jong.
Erica Jong Wiki
- Full Names: Erica Jong (née Mann)
- Popular As: Erica Jong
- Gender: Fame
- Occupation / Profession: Novelist, Satirist, and Poet
- Nationality: American
- Race / Ethnicity: White
- Religion: Christian
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
Erica Jong Birthday
- Age / How Old?: 80 years (2022)
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Date of Birth: March 26, 1942
- Place of Birth: New York City, New York, USA
- Birthday: March 26
Erica Jong Body Measurements
- Body Measurements: Not Available
- Height / How Tall?: Average
- Weight: Moderate
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Blonde
- Shoe Size: Not Available
Erica Jong Family and Relationship
- Father (Dad): Seymour Mann
- Mother: Eda Mirsky
- Siblings (Brothers and Sisters): Suzanna Mann, Claudia Mann
- Marital Status: Married
- Husband/Spouse: Married to Ken Burrows
- Children: Daughter(s) (Molly Jong-Fast) Sons (None)
Erica Jong Net worth and Salary
- Net Worth: Under Review
- Salary: Under Review
- Source of Income: Novelist, Satirist, and Poet
Erica Jong House and Cars
- Place of living: New York, United States
- Cars: Car Brand to be Updated
Erica Jong Career
A 1963 graduate of Barnard College with an MA (1965) in 18th century English Literature from Columbia University, Jong is best known for her first novel, Fear of Flying (1973). The novel created a sensation with its frank treatment of a woman’s sexual desires.
Although it contains many sexual elements, the book is mainly the account of Isadora Wing, a woman in her late twenties, trying to find who she is and where she is going. It contains many psychological and humorous descriptive elements, as well as rich cultural and literary references.
The book tries to answer the many conflicts arising for women in the late 1960s and early 1970s America, of womanhood, femininity, love, one’s quest for freedom and purpose. The saga of thwarted fulfillment of Isadora Wing continues in two more novels “How to Save Your Own Life”(1977) and “Parachutes & Kisses”(1984).
Erica Jong Awards
- Poetry Magazine’s Bess Hokin Prize (1971)
- Sigmund Freud Award For Literature (1975)
- United Nations Award For Excellence In Literature (1998)
- Deauville Award For Literary Excellence In France
- Fernanda Pivano Award For Literary In Italy
Erica Jong Books
Erica Jong Poems
- Fruits & Vegetables (1971, 1997)
- Half-Lives (1973)
- Loveroot (1975)
- At the Edge of the Body (1979)
- ordinary Miracles (1983)
- Becoming Light: New and Selected (1991)
- Love Comes First (2009)
- Fear of Flying (1973)
- How to Save Your Own Life (1977)
- Fanny, Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones (1980) (a retelling of Fanny Hill)
- Megan’s Book of Divorce: a kid’s book for adults; as told to Erica Jong; illustrated by Freya Tanz. New York: New American Library (1984)
- Megan’s Two Houses: a story of adjustment; illustrated by Freya Tanz (1984; West Hollywood, CA: Dove Kids, 1996)
- Parachutes & Kisses. New York: New American Library (1984) (UK ed. as Parachutes and Kisses: London: Granada, 1984.)
- Shylock’s Daughter (1987): formerly titled Serenissima
- Any Woman’s Blues (1990)
- Inventing Memory (1997)
- Sappho’s Leap (2003)
- Fear of Dying (Sept. 8, 2015)
Erica Jong The Fear Of Flying
Fear of Flying is a 1973 novel by Erica Jong. It became famously controversial for its portrayal of female sexuality and figured in the development of second-wave feminism. It was originally published in 1973 by Henry Holt and Company.
Erica Jong Quotes
- Everyone has talent. What’s rare is the courage to follow it to the dark places where it leads.
- Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. That’s why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.
- I have accepted fear as part of life – specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back.
- Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.
- It was easy enough to kill yourself in a fit of despair. It was easy enough to play the martyr. It was harder to do nothing. To endure your life. To wait.
- Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame.
- Show me a woman who doesn’t feel guilty and I’ll show you a man.
- Anger is really disappointed hope.
- I have lived my life according to this principle: If I’m afraid of it, then I must do it.
Frequently Asked Questions About Erica Jong
Erica Jong is an accomplished novelist, satirist, and poet, known particularly for her 1973 novel Fear of Flying.
Erica is an American national born on 26th March 1942 (age 80 years), Manhattan, New York.
She has not shared her height with the public. Her height will be listed once we have it from a credible source.
Yes, Erica is married to Ken Burrows. They got married in 1989. She was previously married to Jonathan Fast from 1977 to 1982, Allan Jong from 1966 to 1975, and Michael Werthman from 1963 to 1965.
Erica has an approximate net worth of $7 million. This amount has been accrued from her leading roles in the entertainment industry.
Details about Erica’s salary are not yet disclosed. However, information about how much she makes will be updated as soon as it is available.
Because of security reasons, Erica has not shared her precise location of residence. We will update this information if we get the location and images of her house.
Erica is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of her being sick or having any health-related issues.
Erica’s current whereabouts are yet to be updated.
Erica Jong Contacts
You may also like to read the Bio, Career, Family, Relationship, Body measurements, Net worth, Achievements, and more about:
Featured Famous Models
- Alison Roman
- Amor Towles
- Anne Marie West
- Berniece Baker Miracle
- Bill Bryson
- Connie Willis
- Craig Johnson
- Dave Canterbury
- Delia Owens
- Doreen Virtue
- Douglas Murray
- Dr Joe Dispenza
- Dwayne Wayans
- Elizabeth Kloepfer
- Faye Resnick
- Gabrielle Bernstein
- Gigi Graham
- Gordon Keith
- Heather Lindsey
- Henry Lee
- Jackie Hill Perry
- Jen Wilkin
- Jentezen Franklin
- Jonathan Cahn
- Justine Musk
- Keith Ablow
- Lisa Harper
- Lori Gottlieb
- Lysa Terkeurst
- Mark Hemingway
- Marni Kinrys
- Mitch Glazer
- Molly Jong Fast
- Nancy Brinker
- Neal Barnard
- Patrick Madrid
- Paul Tassi
- Philip Yancey
- Reeve Lindbergh
- Rich Lowry
- Rich Wilkerson Jr
- Roderick Spencer
- Sandra Walker
- Sidra Smith
- Stormie Omartian
- Tara Westover
- Ted Williams
- Tiffany Cross
- Victor Davis Hanson
- Victoria Osteen