Christian O Conell Biography
Christian O Conell is a British radio DJ, TV host, writer and comedian who presents The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show on Gold 104.3 in Melbourne. Previously, he presented The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show on Absolute Radio on weekday mornings from September 2008 until May 2018. He was born Christian Liam O’Connell on 7 April 1973 in Winchester, Hampshire.
He is considered a highly reputable person as he has won a record breaking number of radio awards including 11 Sony Radio Academy Gold awards, the Radio Academy Gold Award in May 2018 and runner up in the Crabbie’s Ginger Wine Grand National in 2014. He was the youngest radio presenter to be inducted into the UK Radio Academy Hall of Fame in 2014. From 2013 to 2015, he has performed three sold out tours of the International Edinburgh Fringe Comedy festival. He has published several books for example: in September 2008 he published a book The Men Commandments (Harpers Collins) and in 2017 he published a children’s book “Radio Boy” (Harper Collins).
He is a popularly known international guest speaker and has collaborated with European, Australian and US radio shows. In November 2017, he hosted the MacMillan Cancer comedy show at the London Palladium 2016 and the Stand Up to Cancer show at the London Palladium. Between 2013 and 2017, he has hosted the Q Awards.
O’Connell gave an announcement, in February 2018, that he would soon be leaving Absolute Radio and emigrating to Australia to host the Gold 104.3 breakfast programme in Melbourne. On 18 May 2018, he left The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show on 18 May 2018, before starting the new breakfast show on Gold 104.3 on 4 June 2018.
Christian O Conell Family
Christian is wife to Sarah. He is also a loving father of two Ruby and Lois.
Christian O Conell Career
O Connell’s first job was as a dustman in Winchester at the age of 16 to earn some cash in the Christmas holidays. Christian started out on 2CR Radio in Bournemouth in 1998. He later moved to Juice FM in Liverpool in 2000. He commented “It was a budget, tin-pot station. They didn’t have a lot of money.” He formerly hosted BBC Radio 5 Live’s weekend sports game show Fighting Talk from 2004-2006 and the 2013-14 season, the other presenters being BBC Football Commentator Jonathan Pearce and This Morning presenter Matt Johnson.
He previously hosted the Breakfast Show on indie music station XFM London(January 2001 to October 2005). O’Connell joined the Virgin Radio team making his first broadcast on 23 January 2006. He celebrated his 10th year at Virgin (September 2008 it changed its name to Absolute) by giving his listeners free tins of food.
Christian O Conell Shows
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, 2CR FM, Bournemouth (1998 – January 2000)
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, Juice FM, Liverpool (January 2000 – January 2001)
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, XFM London, (January 2001 – October 2005)
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, Virgin Radio, United Kingdom (January 2006 – September 2008)
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, Absolute Radio, United Kingdom (September 2008 – May 2018)
- The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show, Gold 104.3, Melbourne, Australia (June 2018 – Present)
Christian O Conell Breakfast Show
The Christian O Connell Breakfast Show is a multi award winning morning radio show, broadcast on Gold 104.3 and presented by Christian O’Connell. The show runs between 6am and 10am on weekdays. A daily podcast of the previous morning’s show is also produced.
Host: Christian O Connell
Home station: Gold 104.3
Original release: 3 June 2018 – present
Starring: Christian O’Connell; Jack Post; Patrina Jones
Genres: Chat show, Music radio
Christian O Connell New Job
Previously, he presented The Christian O Connell Breakfast Show on Absolute Radio on weekday mornings from September 2008 until May 2018.
Christian O Connell Radio Boy
From leading breakfast radio star Christian O Connell comes a brilliant and laugh-out-loud story of an ordinary boy with an extraordinary secret radio show. (Broadcast from his shed.) Meet Spike, aka Radio Boy: a new Adrian Mole on the radio for the internet generation. Spike’s your average awkward 11 year old, funny and cheeky and with a mum to reckon with. When he becomes the first presenter ever to be sacked from hospital radio, he decides to carry on from a makeshift studio in the garden shed, with the help of his best friends Artie and Holly, disguising his voice and going by the moniker Radio Boy.
Week by week, word gets around and soon Spike is a star… if only people knew it was actually him. When Spike begins to believe his own hype, and goes too far with his mocking of the school headmaster, a hunt is launched for the mysterious Radio Boy. Can Spike remain anonymous? Will he get to marry the girl of his dreams, Katherine Hamilton? Will he become famous and popular? The answer to most of these questions is no…
Originally published: 26 January 2017
Author: Christian O Connell
Followed by: Radio Boy and the Revenge of Grandad (Radio Boy, Book 2)
Genres: Humour, Fiction, Children’s literature
Christian O Connell Book
He has written books like:
- Radio Boy (Radio Boy, Book 1)
- Radio Boy and the Revenge of Grandad (Radio Boy, Book 2)
- Radio Boy 3 (Radio Boy, Book 3)
- The Men Commandments
- Radio boy
Christian O Conell Australia
Christian O Conell Facebook
Christian O Conell Twitter
Christian O Conell Instagram
Christian O Connell Radio
Christian O Conell Awards
List of Awards
- 2003 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for Best UK Breakfast Show of The Year
- 2004 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for UK DJ of The Year
- 2005 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for Entertainment Award
- 2005 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for National Breakfast Show of the Year
- 2005 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award For Best Competition
- 2006 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for Sports Programme (Fighting Talk)
- 2007 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for a Competition (Who’s Calling Christian?)
- 2010 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award for Best Competition (Who’s Calling Christian)
- 2011 The Arqiva/Triple A Media Commercial Radio National Breakfast Show of the Year
- 2013 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award Music Radio Personality of The Year
- 2013 Sony Radio Academy Gold Award Best Use of Branded Content
- 2013 Commercial Radio Roll of Honour Award 2013 Celebrating 40 years of commercial radio. Award for one of the industry’s most significant talents
- 2014 Sony Radio Academy Award Gold Best Use of Branded Content
- 2014 Youngest Ever DJ Inducted into the UK Radio Academy Hall of Fame
- 2014 Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards National Presenter of The Year
- 2014 Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards Gold Winner Best UK National Breakfast show of The Year
- 2014 Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards Gold Winner Best Feature Award the 40 List
- 2014 Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards Gold Special Achievement Award
- 2016 Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards Gold Winner Best UK National Breakfast Show
- 2018 TRIC Winner Best Radio Programme UK
- 2018 Radio Academy Gold Award
Christian O Connell Stand Up
Christian O Connell Salary/ Net worth
Although he insists he is “not on that kind of money”, O Connell views reports of BBC radio presenter’s salaries with equanimity (Moyles was said to earn £630,000 a year and Terry Wogan £800,000). “It’s fair play. They do good shows.
Christian O Connell Virgin Radio
Christian O Connell Television
He has appeared as a guest on a BBC2 sports show with Dickie Davies as one of the fellow guests. Christian replaced Chris Moyles on Channel 5’s Live With Chris Moyles show in 2003 and went on to present trivia show “Pub Ammo” in 2004 on the same channel. He also appeared on BBC2’s Eggheads quiz show in 2005 with Chris Smith, Roque Segade-Vieito and an Xfm listener as the other panelists on his (losing) team. Christian has also narrated Channel 4’s Rock School. He fronted Sunday Service in May 2006 which is a Chris Evans style Sunday evening show on Sky One. He started his own world cup show in June 2006, World Cuppa on ITV4.
He appeared on the BBC TV gameshow The Weakest Link in November 2016. The show which was recorded in early November was shown at Christmas 2006. He admitted on his breakfast show that he went out in the 3rd round after being voted off by his fellow contestants. He blames his ridiculous answer to the question “Which has more legs than the other? A dog or a duck?” He answered “Neither, it’s a trick question, they have the same”. In September 2008, he appeared as a guest in an episode of Loose Women and Ready Steady Cook to promote his book where he was reminded of his previous Weakest Link ordeal by Zoe Tyler.
Later, he appeared for the second time on a Radio DJ special in mid-2009, but fared much better, being voted off in Round 7. He appeared as a presenter in February 2010, commentator and interviewer for the British Association of Mixed Martial Arts (BAMMA) which was a similar role to the UFC’s Joe Rogan. He later went on to host BT Sports Beyond the Octagon. He has also appeared on Never Mind the Buzzcoks, 5th Gear, MTV Countdown, Pointless, Win Lose or Draw. He was the inspiration behind the character Jed Maxwell, the crazed fan in an episode of I’m Alan Partridge.
He hosted An Evening with Top Gear live on the official Top Gear YouTube channel on 18 January 2015, where he interviewed James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson about their upcoming 22nd series of the show. He took part on The Chase (UK game show) on 17 October 2017, but failed to make it past the first round before being eliminated from the game.
Christian O Connell News
‘I’m keeping miracle minded’: Gold 104.3 host Christian O Connell takes time off as his wife rushes back to England after his ‘mother-in-law is suddenly taken very ill’
Updated on: 25 July 2018
British radio host Christian O Connell was absent from his Gold 104.3 breakfast show on Monday and Tuesday as his mother-in-law was seriously ill. As reported by Radio Today on Tuesday, Christian’s wife and daughters flew home to the UK amid the family emergency. Christian, 45, announced the news on Twitter on Monday afternoon, writing: ‘I’ve not been on the show today as last night my mother-in-law was suddenly taken very ill.’
He continued: ‘My wife and kids have rushed back to England to be at her bedside. I’m keeping miracle minded.’
In a podcast on Tuesday, Christian offered an update on the situation.
‘My mother-in-law collapsed suddenly with chest pains while my wife was talking to her [on the phone]. She was in a shop,’ he said.
‘She had a big heart operation about five years ago and so obviously my wife was terrified. Were were 10,000 miles away on the other side of a phone which has now gone dead.’
Fortunately, later in the podcast, Christian had some good news arrive.
‘A miracle has happened and she [his mother-in-law] has had life-saving surgery… It’s hour by hour, day by day at the moment,’ he said.
‘My wife doesn’t even know this news yet. I think she lands in a couple of hours time, has a change-over in Dubai then heads back.’
Fans took to Twitter to offer their support, with one writing: ‘When you saw that I’d lost my partner to cancer two years ago, you sent a tweet of support and sympathy.
‘Seeing your tweets, I can only wish your mum-in-law all the very best and hope she makes a full recovery.’
Another fan posted: ‘Hang in there. You’ve got a lot of friends at both ends of the planet thinking of you and your family and hoping everything works out OK.’
Christian was back on his radio show on Wednesday and is due to appear again on Thursday.
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.