Eddy Merckx Biography
Eddy Merckx, is a Belgian former professional road and track bicycle racer (1961-1978), who is widely seen as the most successful rider in the history of competitive cycling. His victories include an unequalled eleven Grand Tours (five Tours of France, five Tours of Italy, and a Tour of Spain), all of the five Monuments, three World Championships, the hour record, every major one-day race other than Paris–Tours, and extensive victories on the track.
Eddy Merckx Early life
He was born Édouard Louis Joseph, baron Merckx on 17 June 1945, in Meensel-Kiezegem, Brabant, Belgium, and he grew up in Woluwe-Saint-Pierre where his parents ran a grocery store. He played several sports, but found his true passion in cycling. Merckx got his first bicycle at the age of three or four and competed in his first race in 1961. His first victory came at Petit-Enghien in October 1961.
His amateur career, culminated in him winning the amateur world championship in 1964. After winning eighty races as an amateur racer, he turned professional on 29 April 1965 when he signed with Solo–Superia. He switched to Peugeot–BP–Michelin and got his first major victory came in the Milan–San Remo in 1966.
Success at Peugeot led to a move to Italian team Faeme in 1968. He prospered under the Italian team winning the Giro d’Italia, in 1968 at his first attempt.
Merckx broke the hour record in October 1972, extending the record by almost 800 meters.
Eddy Merckx Family life
On 5 December 1967 Merckx married Claudine Acou after four years of courtship. She would often handle the press for her husband, who was shy.
Claudine gave birth to their first child, Sabrina, on 14 February 1970 and later gave birth to a son, Axel, who also became a professional cyclist.
Eddy Merckx Honours
- Created Baron Merckx by Royal Decree, with devise Post Proelia Premia.
- 2014 commander of the Legion of Honour.
- Officer in the Order of Leopold II.
- Knight in the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
- Silver medal of the Olympian Order.
Eddy Merckx cycles | bikes
S.A. Cycles Eddy Merckx Rijwielen N.V., better known as Eddy Merckx, is a Belgian brand of high end road bikes, founded by former professional road cyclist Eddy Merckx in 1980.
It is considered to be one of the most prestigious bicycle brands in the world.As from its first year, Eddy Merckx bikes were used by professional riders, a tradition that continues to date.
Current line of bikes
This is the company’s flagship road bike. It is marketed under the slogan ‘’the best balanced bike in the world’’. Specialists have reviewed it as one of the fastest and most responsive bikes in the world, praising it for its stability, power, and speed.
The EMX-3 is Eddy Merckx’ Gran Fondo style bike. It has a more relaxed geometry than the EMX-525 to allow for longer, more comfortable rides. It comes with either electronic or mechanical shifting, in Shimano (a Japanese manufacturer) or Campagnolo (an Italian bicycle manufacturer).
The ETT is Eddy Merckx’ Time Trial and Triathlon bike. It is used by the professional Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise team in time trials.
The EMX-1 is Eddy Merckx’ entry level bike.
The AMX-1 is Eddy Merckx’ aluminium bike. It is custom-built in Belgium on demand.
Assembly and Distribution
These bikes are assembled in Belgium, and sold through a dealer network in Europe and other export markets. In the US the bikes are also for sale via the company’s website.
Eddy Merckx Classic
The Eddy Merckx Classic is a cycling marathon for everyone. It focuses even more on sporting teamwork and taking out the stress of a race.
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Corsa Extra was the professional model line by the famous Eddy. The bicycle is equipped with Campagnolo Chorus and Athena parts. The frame and fork are made of Columbus SLX tubes.
Eddy Merckx Jersey
The jersey is cycling wear produced by Eddy Merckx Cycles.
Jersey & Bib short Team Black Jersey &BIB Short Team White
Eddy Merckx Quotes
- Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades.
- Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.
- There are too many factors you have to take into account that you have no control over…The most important factor you can keep in your own hands is yourself. I always placed the greatest emphasis on that.
- Cyclists live with pain. If you can’t handle it you will win nothing
- I won! I won! I don’t have to go to school anymore.
Eddy Merckx Youtube
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.