Eric Clapton Biography
Eric Clapton (Eric Patrick Clapton) was born on 30th March 1945 in Ripley, Surrey, England. He is an English rock and blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
Eric Clapton Education Background
Eric Clapton attended Hollyfield School in Surbiton. Clapton studied at the Kingston College of Art but was dismissed at the end of the academic year because his focus remained on music rather than art.
Eric Clapton Career
At the age of thirteen during his birthday he received an acoustic Hoyer guitar, made in Germany. It was hard for him to play the guitar and even gave it up. Two years later he picked it up again and started playing consistently. Clapton was influenced by the blues from an early age, and practised long hours to learn the chords of blues music by playing along to the records. He preserved his practice sessions using his portable Grundig reel-to-reel tape recorder, listening to them over and over until he felt he’d got it right.
In 1962 he started performing as a duo with fellow blues enthusiast David Brock in pubs around Surrey. He joined his first band, an early British R&B group, the Roosters, whose other guitarist was Tom McGuinness. He stayed with this band from January until August 1963. In October of that year, Clapton did a seven-gig stint with Casey Jones & the Engineers. In October 1963, Eric Clapton joined the Yard birds, a blues-influenced rock and roll band, and stayed with them until March 1965.
In April 1965 he joined John Mayall & the Blues breakers, only to quit a few months later. In the summer of 1965 he left for Greece with a band called the Glands, which included his old friend Ben Palmer on piano. In November 1965 he rejoined John Mayall. In March 1966, while still a member of the Blues breakers, Eric Clapton briefly collaborated on a side project with Jack Bruce and Steve Winwood among others, recording only a few of tracks under the name Eric Clapton and the Powerhouse. In July 1966 he left the Blues breakers.
He was invited by drummer Ginger Baker to play in his newly formed band Cream in 1966 after he left the Blues breakers. The band disbanded in 1968. In 1969 he joined Blind Faith which was composed of Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. The group debuted on 7th June 1969 in London’s Hyde Park.
Clapton subsequently toured as a sideman for an act that had opened for Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie and Friends. He also played two dates as a member of the Plastic Ono Band that autumn,including a recorded performance at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival in September 1969 released as the album Live Peace in Toronto 1969.
Eric Clapton assembled a new band composed of Delaney and Bonnie’s former rhythm section, Bobby Whitlock as keyboardist and vocalist, Carl Radle as the bassist, and drummer Jim Gordon, with Clapton playing guitar. It was his intention to show that he need not fill a starring role, and functioned well as a member of an ensemble. The band was originally called “Eric Clapton and Friends”. The name “Derek and the Dominos” was a fluke that occurred when the band’s provisional name of “Del and the Dynamos” was misread as Derek and the Dominos.
Eric Clapton Age
Eric Clapton was born on 30th March 1945 in Ripley, Surrey, England.
Eric Clapton guitars
- 1960s Kay Jazz II
- 1963 Fender Telecaster
- 1961/62 Gretsch Chet Atkins Model 6120
- 1964 Gibson ES-335TDC
- 1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard “Beano Burst”
- 1950s Gibson Les Paul Standard
- 1959/60 Gibson Les Paul Standard “Summers Burst”
- 1964 Gibson SG Standard ”The Fool”
- 1959/60 Gibson Les Paul Custom
- 1963/65 Gibson Reverse Firebird 1
- 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Darkburst)
- Les Paul Custom (Paul Kossoff)
- 1957 Gibson Les Paul “Lucy”
- Danelectro 3021 Shorthorn
- 1962 Fender Telecaster/Stratocaster Custom
- 1956 Fender Stratocaster “Brownie”
- 1950s Gibson Byrdland
- 1956 – 1957 Fender Stratocaster/Partcaster “Blackie”
- 1958 Gibson Korina Explorer
- Gibson Les Paul Standard
- 1983 Fender Stratocaster ’57 Reissue
- 1984 Roger Giffin Stratocaster #1
- 1982 Roland G-505
- 1984 Roger Giffin Stratocaster #2
- 1980s Fender Stratocaster Elite
- 1986 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Prototype (V000007)
- 1986 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Prototype (V000008)
- 1986 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Prototype (V000009)
- Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Signature (First Edition)
- 1996 The Gold Leaf Stratocaster EC1
- Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop “Crash”
- 2009 Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop
Eric Clapton’s Acoustic Guitars:
- 1939 Martin 000-42
- 1988 Guild Songbird Amber
- Martin 000-ECHF Bellezza Nera
- Martin 000-28EC
- Martin D-28
- Dobro Resonator
- Martin OM-ECHF Navy Blues
Eric Clapton Bands and music groups
He has been a member of 9 groups namely;
- The Roosters
- Casey Jones and The Engineers
- The Yardbirds
- John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers
- Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
- Blind Faith
- Derek & The Dominos
Eric Clapton Awards and Honours
- 2017: Made a Commandeur of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres of France.
- 2006: Awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award as a member of Cream.
- 2004: Promoted to Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), receiving the award from the Princess Royal at Buckingham Palace as part of the 2004 New Year Honours list.
- 2000: Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the third time, this time as a solo artist. He was earlier inducted as a member of the bands Cream and the Yardbirds.
- 1995: Made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to music, as part of the 1995 New Year Honours list.
- 1993: Song of the Year, “Tears in Heaven”, Grammy awards.
- 1993: Record of the Year, “Tears in Heaven”, Grammy awards.
- 1993: Male Pop Vocal Performance, “Tears in Heaven”, Grammy awards.
- 1993: Album of the Year, ‘Unplugged’.
- 1993: Best Rock Vocal Performance for Unplugged.
- 1993: Best Rock Song for “Layla”
- 1985: BAFTA for Best Original Television Music for Score of Edge of Darkness with Michael Kamen.
- 1983: Silver Clef Award from Princess Michael of Kent for outstanding contribution to British music
Eric Clapton Wife – Eric Clapton Kids – Eric Clapton Marriages
In 1979 Eric Clapton married Pattie Boyd and had no children. Clapton and Boyd tried unsuccessfully to have children, even trying in vitro fertilisation in 1984, but were faced instead with miscarriages. They divorced in 1988 following his affair with Italian model Lory Del Santo, who gave birth to their son, Conor, on 21 August 1986. Conor died in 1991, at the age of four and a half, when he fell out of an open bedroom window on the 53rd floor of a Manhattan apartment building. The death of his son was the inspiration for Clapton’s song “Tears in Heaven.”
In 1984 while recording ‘Behind The Sun’, Clapton began a relationship with Yvonne Kelly, the manager of AIR Studios Montserrat. Although both were married to other partners at the time, they had a daughter,Ruth Kelly Clapton, in January 1985.
In January 2002 Eric Clapton married Melia McEnery and they have three daughters: Julie Rose (born June 2001), Ella May (born 2003) and Sophie Belle (born 2005).
Eric Clapton Son
Eric Clapton’s affair with Italian model Lory Del Santo, produced a son, Conor, who was born on 21 August 1986.
Eric Clapton’s four-and-a-half-year-old son, Conor Clapton, fell out of an open window in the high-rise New York condominium he was living in with his mother, actress and Italian television personality Lory Del Santo.
Eric Clapton Daughters
Eric Clapton has 3 daughters namely ; Julie Rose Clapton, Ruth Clapton and Sophie Belle Clapton.
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys
4. 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
7. 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
8. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
Eric Clapton’s Health
Eric Clapton has revealed that he’s “going deaf” while speaking about ongoing health problems in an interview with BBC Radio 2. The legendary singer/guitarist is the subject of new documentary Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars. Clapton was promoting the film when he opened up about his health during the interview. Confirming that he still plans to perform live, Clapton added: “The only thing I’m concerned with now is being in my seventies and being able to be proficient. I mean, I’m going deaf, I’ve got tinnitus, my hands just about work.”
Eric Clapton Father
Eric Clapton’s father is Edward Walter Fryer who was born on 21 March 1920 in Montreal, Canada and died on 15 May 1985. Eric Clapton was the only son of a brief encounter between 16-year-old Patricia Clapton and a 24-year-old Canadian soldier stationed in England during Second World War.
“I never met my father,” Mr. Clapton told his biographer in 1985. “And I realized that the closest I ever came to looking into my father’s eyes was when I looked into my son’s eyes.”
Eric Clapton House
His Italian-style villa and home for several decades is called Hurtwood Edge. The house is included on the British Listed Buildings website with an in-depth description of architectural features and the many window features of the home.
The two-story house was built in 1910 by A.T. Bolton. It is constructed of Sandstone blocks and tiled roof with a lead roof over the porch. There is a colored stone paved terrace across the front of the house.
Eric Clapton Tickets
You can buy tickets online or on his official website.
Eric Clapton Albums – Eric Clapton Discography
- 461 Ocean Boulevard
- There’s One In Every Crowd
- EC Was Here
- No Reason To Cry
- Just One Night
- Another Ticket
- Time Pieces
- Money And Cigarettes
- Time Pieces II – Live In The Seventies
- Behind The Sun
- 24 Nights
- From The Cradle
- Crossroads 2 – Live In The Seventies
- Riding With The King
- One More Car One More Rider
- Me And Mr Johnson
- Sessions For Robert J
- Back Home
- The Road To Escondido
- Live from Madison Square Garden
- Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues
- Old Sock
- The Breeze An Appreciation Of JJ Cale
- Slowhand At 70 – Live At The Royal Albert Hall
- I Still Do
- Live In San Diego
- The Rainbow Concert
Eric Clapton Songs List
- Ain’t Going Down
- Another Ticket
- Anyone For Tennis
- Back Home
- Bad Boy
- Bad Love
- Behind The Sun
- Believe In Life
- Bell Bottom Blues
- Bernard Jenkins
- Better Make It Through Today
- Black Summer Rain
- Blue Rock
- Blues Power
- Bottle of Red Wine
- Broken Hearted
- Catch Me If You Can
- Comin’ Home
- Don’t Blame Me
- Don’t Know Why
- Double Crossing Time
- Easy Now
- Edge of Darkness (Instrumental)
- Falls Like Rain
- Find Myself
- Get Ready
- Give Me Strength
- Golden Ring
- Got To Get Better In A Little While
- Got To Hurry
- Hard To Thrill
- Heaven Is One Step Away
- Hello Old Friend
- Hold Me Lord
- Hold On
- Holy Mother
- I Am Yours
- I Can’t Stand It
- Get Lost
- I Looked Away
- Innocent Times
- Inside of Me
- It All Depends
- It’s In The Way That You Use It
- Just Like A Prisoner
- Keep On Growing
- Lay Down Sally
- Let It Grow
- Let It Rain
- Lonely Stranger
- Lovin’ You Lovin’ Me
- Lovin’ Your Lovin’
- Man In Love
- Man Overboard
- Miss You
- Modern Girl
- My Father’s Eyes
- Needs His Woman
- Never Make You Cry
- Next Time You See Her
- Old Love
- One Chance
- One More Chance
- One Track Mind
- Peaches & Diesel
- Presence of the Lord
- Pretty Blue Eyes
- Pretty Girl
- Rip Stop
- Rita Mae
- River of Tears
- Roll It
- Roll It Over
- Run Home To Me
- Same Old Blues
- Say What You Will
- Second Nature
- She’s Gone
- She’s Waiting
- Sick and Tired
- Slow Down Linda
- So Tired
- Snake Lake Blues
- Something Special
- Son and Sylvia
- Strange Brew
- Sunshine of Your Love
- Superman Inside
- Take A Chance
- Tales of Brave Ulysses
- Tearing Us Apart
- Tears In Heaven
- Tell Me That You Love Me
- Tell The Truth
- The Core
- Theme From A Movie That Never Happened
- The Shape You’re In
- Three Little Girls
- To Make Somebody Happy
- Too Bad
- Watch Out For Lucy
- Water On The Ground
- What Else
- What She Wants
- Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad
- Wonderful Tonight
- You Were There