Jacques Brel Biography
Jacques Brel (full name: Jacques Romain Georges Brel) who was born on April 8, 1929 in Schaerbeeck, Belgium and died on October 9, 1978, was a Belgian singer, songwriter, actor and director who composed and performed literate, thoughtful, and theatrical songs that generated a large, devoted following—initially in Belgium and France, later throughout the world.
Although he recorded most of his songs in French and occasionally in Dutch, he became an influence on English-speaking songwriters and performers.
In French-speaking countries, Brel was also a successful actor, appearing in ten films. He also directed two films, one of which, Le Far West, was nominated for the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 1973. Having sold over 25 million records worldwide, Brel is the third best-selling Belgian recording artist of all time.
Jacques Brel Marriage
Brel married Thérèse “Miche” Michielsen in 1950 and the couple had three children. He also had a romantic relationship with actress and dancer Maddly Bamy from 1972 until his death in 1978.
Jacques Brel Songs
- Ne Me Quitte Pas
- Le Monibond
- Ces gens-la
- Quand on n’a que l’amour
- Le Plat Pays
- La Chanson des vieux amants
- Au Suivant
- La chanson de Jacky
- Les vieux
- Les Flamandes
- La Quete
- Mon enfance
- If We Only Have Love
- Grand Jacques
- La fanette
- La Ville S’endormait
- Voir un Ami pleurer
- Les Remparts de Varsovie
- Les Bonbons
- Le Dernier repas
- Les Biches
- La Mort
- Le Prochain Amour
- Les Desesperes
Jacques Brel Youth Hostel
Offering a buffet restaurant, a terrace and free evening entertainment, Jacques Brel Youth Hostel is located in the heart of Brussels, a 15-minute walk from the Grand Place and 2 km from the European District.
Jacques Brel My death
Jacques Brel is alive and well and living in Paris
This movie musical, an adaptation of the cult-favorite off-Broadway revue, presents dramatic English versions of songs by revered Belgian singer-songwriter Jacques Brel. With no overarching narrative, the film shifts considerably in tone and visuals from tune to tune, inventively evoking Brel’s dark humor and his obsessions with death, depravity and hedonism. The production also features segments with puppets, adding to the show’s highly eccentric atmosphere.
Initial release: 27 January 1975
Director: Denis Héroux
Screenplay: Eric Blau
Music composed by: Jacques Brel
Story by: Jacques Brel, Mort Shuman, Eric Blau
Jacques Brel Films
As an actor
- La grande peur de Monsieur Clément (1956) directed by Paul Deliens
- Les risques du métier (1967) directed by André Cayatte
- La Bande à Bonnot (1968) directed by Philippe Fourastié
- Mon oncle Benjamin (1969) directed by Édouard Molinaro
- Mont-Dragon (1970) directed by Jean Valère
- Franz (1971) directed by Jacques Brel
- Les assassins de l’ordre (1971) directed by Marcel Carné
- L’aventure, c’est l’aventure (1972) directed by Claude Lelouch
- Le bar de la fourche (1972) directed by Alain Levent
- Le Far West (1973) directed by Jacques Brel
- L’emmerdeur (1973) directed by Édouard Molinaro
As a director
- Franz (1971)
- Le Far West (1973)
As a writer
- La grande peur de Monsieur Clément (short) (1956)
- Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (1968, play)
- Franz (1971)
- Le Far West (1973)
- Petit jour (1960, short)
- Zeg hé, spaar je mee? (1961) TV series
- Tienerklanken (1963) TV series
- La grande farandole (1964) TV series
- Age tendre et tête de bois (1964) TV series
- Entrez dans la ronde (1965) TV series
- Discorama (TV series) (1962–66) TV series
- Tid til at leve (1974) TV series
- Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (1974, film)
Jacques Brel Madeleine
Jacques Brel Albums
- Grand Jacques (1954)
- Quand On n’a Que l’Amour (1957)
- Au Printemps (1958)
- La Valse à Mille Temps (1959)
- Marieke (1961)
- Les Bourgeois (1962)
- Les Bonbons (1966)
- Ces Gens-Là (1966)
- Jacques Brel 67 (1967)
- J’arrive (1968)
- L’Homme de la Mancha (1968)
- Ne me quitte pas (1972)
- Les Marquises (1977)
- Enregistrement Public à l’Olympia 1961 (1962)
- Enregistrement Public à l’Olympia 1964 (1964)
Boxed sets, compilations, and rarities
- Boîte à Bonbons (2003)
- Infiniment (2003)
- Chansons ou Versions Inédites de Jeunesse (2003)
- Suivre L’Etoile (2013)
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.