Karl Merkatz Biography
Karl Merkatz was born on 17 November 1930 in Wiener Neustadt, he is a well-known Austrian actor. He participated in numerous Austrian film productions and plays. Merkatz is the son of a firefighter. He first wanted to become a carpenter. After World War II he was an active Boy Scout in Wiener Neustadt.
However, later he started to enroll in acting lessons in Salzburg, Vienna and Zurich. Then he found employment in theatres, most notable in Munich, Salzburg, Hamburg and Vienna (Theater in der Josefstadt). During his later career he starred in several roles in television and motion pictures. In the role of Edmund Sackbauer (Mundl) in the 1970s he got famous as the typical Viennese (Ein echter Wiener geht nicht unter).
Another big success came with the films “Bockerer” starring as a naive Viennese during the Second World War in Vienna (the later films are set in the subsequent years to 1945). Since 1999 Merkatz has been chairman of the human rights group SOS Mitmensch.
Karl Merkatz Age
Merkatz was born on 17 November 1930 in Wiener Neustadt.
Karl Merkatz Film and theater
Karl Merkatz played numerous roles in film and television. He was known to a large audience as “Mundl” Edmund Sackbauer in the TV series A true Viennese does not go down (1975-1979), a milieu study showing the life of a Viennese working-class family.
He also had great success in Franz Antel’s films about the Bockerer as Viennese butcher Karl Bockerer, in the fight against National Socialism , in occupied post-war Austria , during the Hungarian uprising and in the Prague Springwill be shown. For the first part Merkatz received the award for best actor at the Moscow Film Festival and the film band in gold .
Since 2005, he plays the role of Benesch von Diedicz in King Ottokar’s Luck and End – the production took place at the Salzburg Festival and has been on the program of the Vienna Burgtheater since October 2005 . Also at the Salzburg Festival in 2005 Karl Merkatz played in the play Jedermann .
Karl Merkatz Music
In the 1970s Karl Merkatz also sang and put some records on the market.
Karl Merkatz Awards
- 1981: International Film Festival Moscow : Best Actor (The Bockerer, Part 1)
- 1982: German Film Award : Filmband in Gold as Best Actor (Der Bockerer, part 1)
- 1995: Gold Medal of Honor of the Federal Capital Vienna for his services to Viennese theaters and as an excellent performer of Viennese types
- 1995: Ring of Honor of Wiener Neustadt
- 1996: Golden Romy as the most popular actor
- 1999: Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art
- 2002: Grand Golden Medal of Merit for the Province of Lower Austria
- 2012: World Film Festival Montreal: Best Actor ( early 80’s )
- 2012: Zurich Film Festival : special mention ( early 80’s )
- 2013: Austrian Film Award : Best Male Actor (early 80’s)
- 2016: Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art I. Class
- 2017: Honorary citizen of the city of Wiener Neustadt
Karl Merkatz Movies
- 1975: Dead spots
- 1975-1979: A true Viennese does not sink
- 1976: Jacob the Last (TV movie, based on the novel by Peter Rosegger)
- 1978: fire! (Film by Reinhard Schwabenitzky )
- 1979: Easy Radler 
- 1981: The Bockerer
- 1983: Waldheimat
- 1986: Lenz or freedom
- 1986: Somehow and anyway
- 1987: The Joker
- 1987: The Ox War – TV series
- 1990: The Bouncer (Director: Xaver Schwarzenberger )
- 1993: Rosamunde Pilcher – Stormy encounter
- 1992: One case for two
- 1994: The Splash-Karli
- 1996: The Bockerer II – Austria is free
- 1996: The Unfisch (Mr. Johler)
- 1997: The eternal song
- 1998: Three gentlemen
- 1999: The bull of Tölz – death at the Hahnenkamm
- 2000: The Bockerer III – The Bridge of Andau
- 2002: A dog came to the kitchen
- 2003: Two fathers of a daughter
- 2003: The Bockerer IV – Prague Spring
- 2003: Summer with the castle ghosts
- 2004: impudence wins
- 2008: Real Viennese – The Sackbauer saga
- 2009: Lasko – The Fist of God
- 2010: Real Wiener 2 – The Deppat’n and the Gspritzt’n
- 2011: early 80s
- 2012: Vanitas (short film)
- 2012: Move On
- 2015: The Blunzenkönig
- 2015: Small big voice
- Songs (selection)
- 1976: Heis’lratz, i should bite di
- 1976: As always
- 1977: I am schiach and you are schiach
- 1977: Sweet home, luck alone
Karl Merkatz Major roles
- Ein echter Wiener geht nicht unter: literally, A Genuine Viennese Does Not Go Under: In this 1975-1979 television series, which is about the life of a Viennese working-class family, he played Edmund “Mundl” Sackbauer, for which he is most known.
- Der Bockerer I-IV:, Merkatz plays the role of the Viennese butcher Karl Bockerer, who as a social democrat is shown during the time of the Anschluss and in the struggle against national socialism, during the post-war occupation of Austria by Allied forces, during the Hungarian Uprising of 1956 and the Prague Spring of 1968. He won the award for Best Actor at the 12th Moscow International Film Festival for his role in the first film.
- Der Mann von La Mancha: Merkatz played the roles of Miguel de Cervantes and Don Quixote in this 1994 German-language television adaptation of the classic musical Man of La Mancha.
Karl Merkatz Publications
- That’s me . Autobiography, Styria-Verlag 2005
- My favorite Christmas stories . Haymon, 2008, ISBN 978-3-85218-567-5
Karl Merkatz News
May 23, 2018
The Wiener Werk takes place on 7 June with a wine taster evening with Karl Merkatz, which focuses on the Viennese and their tendencies towards wine taverns.
The program of Karl Merkatz is an amusing (cultural) story about the Viennese and their relationship to the Heuriger. Accompanied by harmonica of the “Wiener Spatzen” Alfred Gradinger.
The cheerful and contemplative course of the evening are songs and texts by Weinheber to Nöstlinger, with such well-known melodies as “The Narrian chestnut tree”, “Place my horse in stable” and many others.
Admission: 19:00 clock
Start: 20:00 clock
Ticket: 24 €