Princess Astrid of Belgium Biography
Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este is the second child and only daughter of King Albert II and Queen Paola, and younger sister to the current Belgian monarch, King Philippe.
She is the fifth in line of succession to the Belgian throne and is married to Prince Lorenz of Belgium, head of the Austria-Este branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Family
Princess Astrid was born on 5 June 1962, a day before her father’s 28th birthday at the Château de Belvédère, near Laeken. She was named after her late paternal grandmother, Astrid of Sweden, the first wife of King Leopold III. Her full name is Astrid Joséphine-Charlotte Fabrizia Elisabeth Paola Marie.
Her godparents were her uncle Fabrizio, Prince Ruffo di Calabria-Santapau, 7th Duke di Guardia Lombarda, and her aunt Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Age
The princess is currently 56 years old.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Marriage and Issue
Her Royal Highness married Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este, the head of the Archducal House of Austria-Este, on 22 September 1984 at Brussels. Lorenz is the eldest son of Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este (1915–1996), and his wife Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta (born in 1930). Lorenz was also created Prince of Belgium by Royal Decree on 27 November 1995.
Together the couple has five children who bear the title “Prince/Princess of Belgium” as members of the Belgian royal family and Archduke/Archduchess of Austria.
- Their eldest child is Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (born on 21 February 1986 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert).
- Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, born on 26 August 1988 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.
- Prince Joachim of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, born on 9 December 1991 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.
- Princess Luisa Maria of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, born on 11 October 1995 at Saint Jean Hospital in Brussels.
- Princess Laetitia Maria of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, born on 23 April 2003 at Saint Jean Hospital in Brussels.
Astrid is also the godmother to Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria, Prince Sébastien of Luxembourg and Prince Gaston of Orléans.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Royal role
Princess Astrid was formerly the President of the Belgian Red Cross, a position which ended on 31 December 2007. She declined to stand again for election to the role in light of internal struggles in the organisation in reconciling its French-speaking and Flemish branches, each of which seeks greater autonomy.
Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Astrid is also a colonel in the Medical Component of the Belgian Armed Forces. Her official residence is the Royal Castle of Laeken on the edge of Brussels. She is also a member of the Honorary Board of the International Paralympic Committee.
For many years she has been a fierce advocate for landmine survivors rights, participating actively in the work of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention, also known as the Ottawa Treaty, since Belgium joined in 1998. In 2013, the Princess was named Special Envoy of the Convention, and has promoted the acceptance of a global ban on landmines and promoted the rights of survivors in various UN meetings.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Honours by country
1997: Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold I
Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit
Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star
- Western Europe-Luxembourg
Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
Grand Cross 1st class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit
- Eastern Europe-Hungary
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
- South America-Mexico
Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Miguel Hidalgo.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Awards
- Peru: Freedom of the City of Lima
- 2016 : honorary mayor and The Hidalgo Award of San Antonio.
Princess Astrid of Belgium Titles
- 5 June 1962 – 22 September 1984: Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium
- 22 September 1984 – Present: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este
Princess Astrid of Belgium Arms
- Coat of arms of Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este
Princess Astrid of Belgium Styles
Princess Astrid of Belgium Ranks
- 23 May 1997 – 26 December 2003: Belgian Medical Component, Lieutenant-colonel
- 26 December 2003 – : Belgian Medical Component, Colonel
Princess Astrid of Belgium Video
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.