Sophia Loren Biography
Sophia Loren, Dame of the Grand Cross, O.M.R.I., is an Italian film actress and singer. She was encouraged to enroll in acting lessons after entering a beauty pageant, leading to the beginning of her career in 1950 at the age of 16. She appeared in several bit parts and minor roles in the early part of the decade, until her five-picture contract with Paramount in 1956 launched her international career.
Notable film appearances around this time include The Pride and the Passion, Houseboat, and It Started in Naples. She was not recognized til her performance as Cesira in Vittorio De Sica’s Two Women; Loren’s performance earned her the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1962 and made her the first actress to win an Oscar for a foreign-language performance.
She also holds the record for having earned six David di Donatello Awards for Best Actress: Two Women; Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow; Marriage Italian Style (for which she was nominated for a second Oscar); Sunflower; The Voyage; and A Special Day. After starting a family in the early 1970s, Loren chose to make only occasional film appearances. In later years, she has appeared in American films such as Grumpier Old Men (1995) and Nine (2009).
Sophia Loren Age | How old is Sophia Loren
Loren was born on 20 September 1934. She is 83 years old as of 2018.
Sophia Loren Height
She is 1.74 m tall.
Sophia Loren Husband
The actress first met Carlo Ponti, Sr. in 1950, when she was 16 and he was 37.
Sophia Loren Children
Sophia Loren Grandchildren
Sophia Loren Book
Loren has written several books. Some of them include:
- Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life (2014)
- Sophia Loren’s Recipes & Memories (1998)
- In the Kitchen with Love (2013)
- Women & Beauty (1984)
- Eat with Me (1972)
- Confidencias De Mujer
- Sophia Loren Beauty
Cary Grant Sophia Loren
Loren and Cary Grant co-starred in Houseboat (1958). Grant’s wife Betsy Drake wrote the original script, and Grant originally intended that she would star with him. After he began an affair with Loren while filming The Pride and the Passion (1957), Grant arranged for Loren to take Drake’s place with a rewritten script for which Drake did not receive credit. The affair ended in bitterness before The Pride and the Passion‘s filming ended, causing problems on the Houseboat set. Grant hoped to resume the relationship, but Loren agreed to marry Carlo Ponti, instead.
Sophia Loren Movies | Sophia Loren Films
- 1950 I Am the Capataz
- 1950 Barbablu’s Six Wives
- 1950 Tototarzan
- 1950 Il voto
- 1950 Hearts at Sea
- 1951 White Leprosy
- 1951 Owner of the Vapor
- 1951 Milan Billionaire
- 1951 Magician for Force
- 1951 Quo Vadis
- 1951 Era lui… sì! sì! (It Was Him!… Yes! Yes!)
- 1951 Anna
- 1952 And Arrived the Accordatore
- 1952 I Dream of Zorro
- 1952 La Favorita
- 1953 The Country of the Campanelli
- 1953 Pilgrim of Love
- 1953 We Find Ourselves in the Gallery
- 1953 Two Nights with Cleopatra
- 1953 Girls Marked Danger
- 1953 Good Folk’s Sunday
- 1953 Aida
- 1953 Woman of the Red Sea
- 1954 Neapolitan Carousel
- 1954 A Slice of Life
- 1954 Un giorno in pretura
- 1954 The Anatomy of Love
- 1954 Poverty and Nobility
- 1954 The Gold of Naples
- 1954 Attila
- 1954 Too Bad She’s Bad
- 1955 The Sign of Venus
- 1955 The Miller’s Beautiful Wife
- 1955 The River Girl
- 1955 Scandal in Sorrento
- 1956 Lucky to Be a Woman
- 1957 Boy on a Dolphin
- 1957 The Pride and the Passion
- 1957 Legend of the Lost
- 1958 Desire Under the Elms
- 1958 The Key
- 1958 The Black Orchid
- 1958 Houseboat
- 1959 That Kind of Woman
- 1960 Heller in Pink Tights
- 1960 It Started in Naples
- 1960 The Millionairess
- 1960 A Breath of Scandal
- 1960 Two Women
- 1961 El Cid
- 1961 Madame Sans-Gêne, a.k.a., “Madame”
- 1962 Boccaccio ’70
- 1962 The Prisoners of Altona
- 1962 Five Miles to Midnight
- 1963 Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
- 1964 The Fall of the Roman Empire
- 1964 Marriage Italian-Style
- 1965 Operation Crossbow
- 1965 Lady L
- 1966 Judith
- 1966 Arabesque
- 1967 A Countess from Hong Kong
- 1967 More Than a Miracle
- 1968 Ghosts – Italian Style
- 1970 Sunflower
- 1971 Lady Liberty
- 1971 The Priest’s Wife
- 1972 Man of La Mancha
- 1973 The Sin
- 1974 The Voyage
- 1974 Verdict
- 1974 Brief Encounter
- 1975 Sex Pot la pupa del gangster / Get Rita
- 1976 The Cassandra Crossing
- 1977 A Special Day
- 1978 Blood Feud
- 1978 Brass Target
- 1978 Angela
- 1979 Firepower
- 1980 Sophia Loren: Her Own Story
- 1984 Aurora
- 1986 Courage
- 1988 The Fortunate Pilgrim
- 1989 Running Away
- 1990 Saturday, Sunday and Monday
- 1994 Prêt-à-Porter
- 1995 Grumpier Old Men
- 1997 Soleil (fr)
- 2001 Francesca e Nunziata
- 2002 Between Strangers
- 2004 Too Much Romance… It’s Time for Stuffed Peppers
- 2004 Lives of the Saints
- 2009 Nine
- 2010 My House Is Full of Mirrors
- 2011 Cars 2
- 2013/14 La Voce Umana
- 2016 Sophia Loren: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival
Sophia Loren Albums
- 1963 – Poesie di Salvatore Di Giacomo (CAM, LP)
- 1972 – Man Of La Mancha (United Artists Records, LP) with Peter O’Toole, James Coco, Mitch Leigh, Joe Darion
Sophia Loren Compilations
- 1992 – Le canzoni di Sophia Loren (CGD, 2xCD)
- 2006 – Secrets Of Rome (it:Traditional Line, CD)
- 2009 – Τι Είναι Αυτό Που Το Λένε Αγάπη – Το Παιδί Και Το Δελφίνι (it:Δίφωνο, CD)
Sophia Loren Songs
- 1957 – S’agapò/Paola Orlandi Adoro te (RCA, 45N 0585, 7″)
- 1960 – Goodness Gracious Me (Parlophone, 7″) with Peter Sellers
- Che m’e’mparato a fà/I wanna a guy (RCA, A25V-0473, 10″ a 78 giri)
- Addio amore (it:Polydor, 2050012, 7″)
Sophia Loren Awards
Aside from the Academy Award, she has won a Grammy Award, five special Golden Globes, a BAFTA Award, a Laurel Award, the Volpi Cup for Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival, the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival, and the Honorary Academy Award in 1991. In 1995, she received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievements, one of many such awards. In 1999, Loren was acknowledged as No. 21 of the top 25 female American screen legends in the American Film Institute’s survey, AFI’s 100 Years…100 Stars, and she is currently the only living actress on the list.
Sophia Loren Photos | Sophia Loren Young
Sophia Loren Glasses
To shop for Loren’s sophisticated eye wear, click here.
Sophia Loren Net worth
She has a reported net worth of $75 million dollars.
Sophia Loren Oscar
Sophia Loren The Millionairess
Sunflower Sophia Loren
Sophia Loren Interview Video
Sophia Loren Quotes
- A woman’s dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
- Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful.
- Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.
- Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
- If you haven’t cried, your eyes can’t be beautiful.
- Sex appeal is fifty percent what you’ve got and fifty percent what people think you’ve got.
- When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.
- Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.
- It’s a mistake to think that once you’re done with school you need never learn anything new.