zGcina Mhlope Biography
Gcina Mhlope (Nokugcina Elsie Mhlophe) was born on 24th October 1958 in Durban, South Africa. She is a South African anti-apartheid activist, actress, storyteller, poet, playwright, director and author.
Gcina Mhlope Education Background
Gcina Mhlope matriculated in 1979 at the Mfundisweni High School. She did a Cadet Journalism course at the Rhodes University. She did a 6 months Film Making Course as part of Interchurch Media Programme’s Community Project
Gcina Mhlope Acting Career
- 1983: Lead actress in Umongikazi – The Nurse.
- 1985/85: The Black Dog – Injemnyama.
- 1985 and 1987-89: She wrote and acted n the autobiographical piece Have you seen Zandile?, touring South Africa, Lesotho, most of Europe – participating at the Edinburgh festival.
- 1986: She acted in workshop play Born In The RSA and toured South Africa, England, most of Europe and the US.
- 1987: She was a visiting assistant director with Barney Simon at Boston’s Brandeis University, workshoping and staging the musical play Written By Hand.
- 1989/90: Resident Director at the Market Theatre, Johannesburg. Co-writing and singing in the musical Inyanga. Writing and directing Somdaka, touring Johannesburg’s Townships and Zimbabwe.
- 1995: Co-writing an adaptation of Brecht’s The Good Person Of Sechuan with Janet Suzman for BBC, London and the Market Theatre, Johannesburg.
- 1998: Wrote and performed in the one woman show Love Child, by Mannie Manim Production. Took it to Japan to the Solo Festival in Tokyo
Gcina Mhlope Age | Birthday
Gcina Mhlope was born on 24 October 1958 in Durban South Africa. She celebrates her birthday on October 24th every year.
Gcina Mhlope Family
After doing our research, details about her parents are not available and it is also not known if she has any siblings.
Gcina Mhlope Spouse
Gcina Mhlope is married to her handsome husband and together they are blessed with one daughter namely, Khwezi Heike.
Khwezi Heike her daughter.
Gcina Mhlope Body Measurements
- Height: Not Available
- Weight: Not Available
- Shoe Size: Not Available
- Body Shape: Not Available
- Hair Colour: Not Available
Gcina Mhlope Net Worth
The award-winning novelist, Gcina Mhlope, has an estimated net worth of $1 million to $5 million which she has earned through her successful career as an actress and a poet.
Gcina Mhlope Television Roles
- 1986: Lead Actress in Place Of Weeping
- 1988: Lead Actress in Palesa
- 1990: She told stories and performed poetry in the documentary Songololo
- 1992: Acting and narrating in the documentary Traveling Songs.
- 1995: Narrating in the documentary Prisoners Of Hope.
Gcina Mhlope Media Personality
Gcina Mhlope has been a TV presenter for Art Works and Literacy Alive at SABC and frequent voice over work. In 2005 to 2006 she presented Traditional Music Program Zindala Zombili on SABC Television.
Gcina Mhlope Books
- 1988: Have You Seen Zandile?
- 2003: Stories Of Africa
- 2006: Our Story Magic
- 1994: Hi, Zoleka!
- 2009: African Tales: A Barefoot Collection
- 2002: Love child
- 2002: Horns Only
- 2014: Zimnandi Ngokuphindwa
- 2014: Dikanegelo Tsa Rena Tsa Go Makatsa
- 2014: Zwitori Zwa Afrika
- 2014: Dikanegelo Tsa Afrika
- 2014; Mitsheketo Ya Afrika
- 1997: Thandeka’s Gift
- 2014: Switori Swa Hina Swo Hlamarisa
- 2003: Three
- 2014: Dambi la Zwitori Zwashu
- 1990: Queen of Tortoises
- 1996: How stories began
- 1989: The snake with seven heads
- 1992: The singing dog
- Nozi, Madrina De Libros
- 2008: The Singing Chameleon: A Traditional Story from Malawi
- 1995: A mother’s search for stories
- 2004: An African Mother Christmas
- 2006: Ithemba Means Hope
- Sawubona, Zoleka!
- 2002: Durban: Impressions of an African City
- 2002: Iimpondo zodwa
- Mmabana o batla dikinane
- 2002: Manaka feela
- Lenwabo le binang: pale ya setso ho tswa Malawi
- 1995: Mazanendaba and the Magical Story Shell
Gcina Mhlope Awards
- 1987: OBIE Award as best actress in Born in the RSA – NewYork.
- 1987: Fringe First Award for best production of Have You SeenZandile – Edinburgh Festival.
- 1988: Joseph Jefferson Award as best actress in Have You SeenZandile – Chicago.
- 1994: Bookchat Award for Molo Zoleka!, BC Magazine, SA.
- 1996: Carl Lohann Award for children’s books.
- 2009/2010: SAMA Award for Songs and Stories of Africa CD.
- 2010: EThekwini Living Legends Award, Dept of Arts and Culture, KwaZulu Natal
- 2010: Lifetime Achievement Award, Arts and Culture Trust, RSA
- 2011: Award for Contribution to Arts in Education, by Dept of Education KZN
Gcina Mhlope Video
Frequently Asked Questions About Gcina Mhlopes
Who is Gcina Mhlope?
Gcina Mhlope is one of South African best-known and loved actress and novelist
How old is Gcina Mhlope?
Gcina Mhlope is 61 years as of 2019. She was born in 1958.
How tall is Gcina Mhlope?
Details Not Available
Is Gcina Mhlope married?
Gcina Mhlope is married to her lovely husband Karl-Heinz Becker.
How much is Gcina Mhlope worth?
He has an accomplished journalist with an estimated net worth of $1 million to $5 million.
Is Gcina Mhlope dead or alive?
Gcina Mhlope is still alive and in good health.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.