Glion Institute Of Higher Education Switzerland
Glion Institute of Higher Education is a hospitality management school. Established in 1962, the university has three campuses – two in Switzerland (Glion and Bulle) and one in London, UK. It offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in hospitality management, as well as summer programmes and intensive English language courses.
Glion Institute of Higher Education History
Glion was established in autumn 1962 as the Institut International de Glion. Based on the site of the former Grand Hôtel Bellevue, Glion was the world’s first private, university-level Swiss hotel management school. It was founded by Swiss professor Walter Hunziker and Frédéric Tissot, who had both noted that the surge in tourism required better trained professionals within hotels. The school’s first class consisted of 15 students from five different countries, with the courses delivered in French.
In 1977, Glion changed its name to the Centre International de Glion (CIG), before then becoming Glion Hotel School. In 1989, with student and staff numbers continuing to grow, Glion opened a second campus in the mountain town of Bulle.
In 1995, Glion put in place a new Bachelor’s degree based on the American system of university programmes. Under this system, new programmes were introduced, offering specialisation tracks for Hospitality Management, Tourism, Finance and Human Resources.
In 2001, Glion received accreditation by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The following year, it updated its name to Glion Institute of Higher Education and became part of Laureate Education, an American education company that also managed Les Roches International School of Hotel Management.
As technology’s role in education grew, Glion launched the first online MBA in International Hospitality and Service Industries in 2010. The following year, the school introduced a number of online postgraduate and professional development programmes that were taught and completed solely online.
In 2013, Glion opened a new campus in London, located in the grounds of the University of Roehampton. Glion London is just over half an hour away from London’s West End and offers the same programmes as the school’s Swiss campuses.
In 2016, Glion and Les Roches were both sold to Eurazeo, a multinational private equity firm based in Paris, France. Both Glion and Les Roches are under the umbrella of hospitality education group Sommet Education.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Ranking
According to higher education data specialist company QS (Quacquarelli Symonds), which ranks the world’s top 50 universities specialising in hospitality and leisure management, Glion is ranked number five worldwide. It is ranked number one for employer reputation and is among the top three Swiss hospitality institutions.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Acceptance Rate
The Glion Admissions department takes a holistic approach to reviewing the application of every candidate. In addition to academic achievements, we look for candidates who exhibit a passion for the industry, leadership potential, personal drive, creativity and an international mindset.
We have an international team of dedicated admissions and enrollment counsellors who will be happy to advise candidates on the choice of program and guide them through the application process. Fill in the contact form to get in touch.
If you require a visa to study, it is important that you apply early enough to allow time for visa processing. Glion maintains a rolling admissions policy so applications are evaluated as soon as the application, with all pertinent documentation, is received.
Read more on information for parents and sponsor.
FOR THE BBA IN INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALITY BUSINESS
- 17.5 years old at the start of the program.
- You must have completed secondary education (IB diploma, Maturité, Abitur, French Bac, 3 A-levels, high school diploma or equivalent).
- Personalized assessment to ascertain motivation and review application documentation. Includes scenario-based exercise to be completed beforehand.
English Language Qualifications
- If English is not your first language, or if you have not spent the last three years studying in a school where English is the primary language of instruction, please enclose a copy of one of the following: ∙
- International English Language Test (IELTS): 5.5 overall (min. 5.0 in every subcomponent) Only tests taken/issued in an official IELTS testing center are accepted.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet-based 70 or paper-based 525
- First Cambridge Exam: Grade C
- For London, same as above, except Non-EU or EEA passport holders will need to undertake IELTS UKVI: 5.5 overall and min. 5.5 in every subcomponent.
Note: All English certificates must have been issued in the 12 months prior to admission. If your English level does not meet the levels indicated above, Glion offers an Intensive Hospitality English Language Program (IHELP). Please contact us for more information.
FOR THE MSC
- 21 – 24-years-old at the start of the program
Education and Experience
- Bachelor-level undergraduate degree in any subject
English Language Qualifications
- If English is not your first language, or if you have not spent the last three years studying in a school where English is the primary language of instruction, please enclose a copy of one of the following:
- International English Language Test (IELTS): 6.0 overall (min. 5.5 in every subcomponent) Only tests taken/issued in an official IELTS testing center are accepted.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet-based 80 or paper-based 550
- For the MSc in London, same as above, except Non-EU or EEA passport holders will need to undertake IELTS UKVI: 6.0 overall and min. 5.5 in every subcomponent.
FOR THE DUAL MBA AND MSC
- 24-years-old and above
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree – 60 per cent or higher (for GPA min 3 for scoring out of 5; min 2.4 for scoring out of 4)
- Minimum of three years of significant full-time work experience
English Language Qualifications
- IELTS: overall 6.5 and min. 6.0 in every subcomponent**
- TOEFL: Internet-based 94+ (min. 22 each section)
- Cambridge Proficiency Exam: GRADE A, B, C
- Pearson Test of English: Minimum of 63
*If a degree/transcript is not in English (for UK) or any other language than English (French/German/Italian for Switzerland) an official certified translated copy in English will be required.
** Only tests taken/issued in an official IELTS testing center are accepted.
Note: All English certificates must have been issued in the 12 months prior to program start.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Fees
Our tuition and other fees are displayed in GBP and CHF depending on the location and mode of study, and they are subject to changes every semester.
- Click here to pay the application fee for London: https://www.glion.edu/application-fee-payment-london/
- Click here to pay the application fee for Switzerland: https://www.glion.edu/application-fee-payment-switzerland/
- Click here to pay the deposit or full fees for London: https://www.flywire.com/pay/glion
- Click here to pay the deposit or full fees for Switzerland: https://www.flywire.com/pay/glionchf
Glion Institute Of Higher Scholarships
Glion provides a limited number of scholarships for new students. Each scholarship is defined by specific criteria and once a student has submitted a completed application, eligibility is then decided on a case-by-case basis. Scholarships cover Glion tuition fees only and do not include room and board charges.*
Financial aid in the form of government assistance, loans, grants or bursaries are available in some countries, our educational counselors can help you find out if you are eligible for financial aid and how to request it. Please fill in the contact form to speak with an educational counselor for more details about our scholarships.
*Glion reserves the right to review and modify the above Scholarship information at any time without prior notice.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Courses
Glion Institute of Higher Education offers undergraduate and graduate programmes. The degree tracks include hospitality management, with a variety of specialisations.
Glion’s offers a Bachelor’s degree in International Hospitality Business, a Bachelor of Business Administration programme that takes 3.5 years to complete. Students embark on two six-month internships with hospitality organisations, and finish the course by specialising in a particular area, such as Luxury Brand Management, International Hotel Development and Finance, and International Event Management.
Alongside the Bachelor’s programme, Glion also offers an English language and summer programme, respectively. Available in both Switzerland and London, the Summer Experience programme has been designed to give students an overview of the hospitality industry before potentially starting a full-time course. The English language programme aims to help students raise their level of English to meet the admissions requirements for the undergraduate and graduate programmes.
Glion offers a range of graduate qualifications. Its MSc in International Hospitality Business is delivered on campus during two semesters, followed by a six-month internship. In 2018, Glion launched the Dual MBA and MSc in International Hospitality Business, offered in partnership with French Business school Grenoble Ecole de Management.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Review
Glion Institute of Higher Education, London (GIHE UK Ltd) has undergone a review for educational oversight by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA).
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Campus
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Glion Campus
Glion’s flagship campus overlooks the city of Montreux, and boasts a view of the French and Swiss Alps. The Glion campus serves as a practical learning centre, with two fine-dining restaurants, Le Bellevue and Fresh, opened in 2018.  Montreux and Lausanne are only a short distance away, as is Geneva International Airport.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education Bulle Campus
The Bulle campus is located in the town of Bulle in the Gruyère region. Opened in 1989, the Bulle campus has a range of facilities for students, including a library, study area, student lounge and catered restaurants.
Glion Institute Of Higher Education London Campus
Glion London is the first Swiss hospitality institution located in the UK. Opened in 2013, Glion London is in the grounds of the University of Roehampton, which enables students to use the university’s resources and facilities. Students who study at Glion London enjoy the same academic standards and programme structure available at Glion’s Swiss campuses.
Glion Institute of Higher Education has over 14,000 alumni working in more than 130 countries around the world. The Alumni Association of Glion, or Association des Anciens de Glion (AAG), is the official networking community for Glion graduates. The Glion Alumni come from over 100 different countries and are involved in a broad range of industries, from luxury hospitality to private banking. The AAG host a series of events worldwide, offer career support and leadership advice to its members.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.