James Pickens Jr. Biography
James Pickens Jr. is an American actor who was born and brought up in Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America. He is widely known for his roles in Yellowstone as Old Cowboy, Roseanne as Chuck Mitchell, Grey’s Anatomy as Richard Webber, Ghosts of Mississippi as Medgar Evers, The X-Files as FBI Deputy Director Alvin Kersh, and in Venom as Sheriff.
In addition to his work on “Grey’s Anatomy,” Pickens Jr. has also appeared in a number of other TV shows and films, including “How to Get Away with Murder,” “The Practice,” and “Beverly Hills Cop III.” He has been nominated for several awards throughout his career, including an NAACP Image Award for his work on “Grey’s Anatomy.”
10 Quick Facts About James Pickens Jr.
- Name: James Pickens Jr.
- Age: 69 Years (As of 2023)
- Birthday: 26 October
- Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
- Height: 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 m)
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: Actor
- Marital Status: Married
- Salary: Under Review
- Net worth: $13 Million
James Pickens Jr. Age
Pickens Jr. is 69 years old as of 2023, he was born on 26 October 1954, in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. He celebrates his birthday on 26 October every year and his birth sign is Scorpio.
James Pickens Jr. Height
Pickens Jr. stands at a height of 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 m).
James Pickens Jr. Weight
Pickens Jr. Weighs 72 kg (159 lbs).
Early Life and Education
Pickens Jr. was born on October 26, 1954, in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. He grew up in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, and attended Mayfield High School, where he played football and basketball.
After high school, Pickens Jr. attended Bowling Green State University in Ohio, where he earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theater Arts. He then went on to pursue a Master of Fine Arts degree in Theater Arts at the Indiana University Bloomington.
During his time at Indiana University, Pickens Jr. appeared in several productions, including “Othello” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” After completing his graduate studies, he moved to New York City to pursue a career in acting.
Rise to Fame
Pickens Jr.’s rise to fame began in the mid-1980s when he began appearing in small roles in television shows such as “St. Elsewhere,” “Cagney & Lacey,” and “The Equalizer.” He also had small roles in films like “The Color Purple” and “Beverly Hills Cop II.”
In the 1990s, Pickens Jr. continued to appear in guest roles on various television shows and had supporting roles in films such as “Rocket Gibraltar” and “How Stella Got Her Groove Back.” In 1995, he landed a recurring role as Deputy Director Alvin Kersh on the hit series “The X-Files.”
However, it was his role as Dr. Richard Webber on the medical drama “Grey’s Anatomy” that truly catapulted him to fame. He has been a series regular since the show’s first season in 2005 and has become a beloved and iconic character on the show. His performance has earned him critical acclaim and several award nominations.
Overall, Pickens Jr. rise to fame has been the result of his hard work, dedication, and talent as an actor. His long career in the entertainment industry is a testament to his skill and his ability to connect with audiences through his performances.
James Pickens Jr. Family, Parents
Pickens Jr. was born to his parents James Pickens Sr. and Margaret Pickens in Ohio. His father James Sr., worked at the City of Cleveland and his mother Margaret, worked in a departmental store.
James Pickens Jr. Siblings
Pickens Jr. spent his childhood with his two siblings, a brother named Marlin Pickens, and a sister named Marie Walker.
James Pickens Jr. Wife
Pickens Jr. is currently married to his wife Gina Pickens (nee Taylor). The couple tied the knot on May 27, 1984. Gina is a former member of Musique. They are blessed with two children.
James Pickens Jr. Children
Pickens Jr. and his wife Gina have two children together, a daughter named Gavyn Pickens and a son named Carl Tharps. His son Carl is working on a Hip-Hop career and can be seen in various television appearances such as Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper.
James Pickens Jr. Net Worth
Pickens Jr. has an estimated net worth of $13 million dollars as of 2023. This includes his assets, money and income. His primary source of income is his career as an actor. Through his various sources of income, James has been able to accumulate a good fortune but prefers to lead a modest lifestyle.
James Pickens Jr. Measurements and Facts
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about James.
James Pickens Jr. Wiki
- Full Names: James Pickens Jr
- Popular As: James
- Gender: Male
- Occupation / Profession: Actor
- Nationality: American
- Race / Ethnicity: Black
- Religion: Not Known
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
James Pickens Jr. Birthday
- Age / How Old?: 69 years (2023)
- Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
- Date of Birth: 26 October 1954
- Place of Birth: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Birthday: 26 October
James Pickens Jr. Body Measurements
- Body Measurements: Not Available
- Height / How Tall?: 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 m)
- Weight: 72 kg (159 lbs)
- Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Hair Color: Salt and Pepper
- Shoe Size: Not Available
James Pickens Jr. Family and Relationship
- Father (Dad): James Pickens Sr.
- Mother: Margaret Pickens
- Siblings (Brothers and Sisters): Marlin Pickens and Marie Walker
- Marital Status: Married
- Wife/Spouse: Married to Gina Pickens (nee Taylor)
- Dating / Girlfriend: Not Applicable
- Children: Sons (Carl Pickens) Daughter(s) (Gavyn Pickens)
James Pickens Jr. Net Worth and Salary
- Net Worth: $13 Million
- Salary: Under Review
- Source of Income: Actor
James Pickens Jr. Grey’s Anatomy
Other featured actors are Justin Chambers as Dr Alex Karev, Kevin McKidd as Dr Owen Hunt, Bokhee An as Nurse Bokhee, Jesse Williams as Dr Jackson Avery and Patrick Dempsey as Dr Derek Shepherd. The long series also features Sara Ramirez as Dr Callie Torres, Jessica Capshaw as Dr Arizona Robbins, Sandra Oh as Dr Cristina Yang among others.
James Pickens Jr. Roseanne
Pickens Jr. is featured in 21 episodes of the TV series, Roseanne as Chuck Mitchell from 1990 to 2018. The Roseanne Barr and Matt Williams TV series stars Roseanne Barr, John Goodman as Dan Conner and Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris. It also features Michael Fishman as DJ Conner, Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner and Alicia Goranson as Becky Conner.
James Pickens Jr. Movies and TV Shows
- 1986 – F/X Ambulance Driver
- 1987 – Hotshot —
- 1992 – Trespass Police Officer Reese
- 1993 – Boiling Point Prison Officer
- 1994 – Hostile Intentions Capt. Connor
- 1995 – Dead Presidents Mr. Curtis
- 1996 – Ghosts of Mississippi Medgar Evers
- 1997 – Gridlock’d Supervisor
- 1998 – Sphere O.S.S.A. Instructor
- 1999 – Liberty Heights Sylvia’s Father
- 2000 – Traffic Ben Williams
- 2002 – Red Dragon Male Zoo Doctor
- 2003 – White Rush Denny
- 2005 – Venom Sheriff
- 2008 – Ball Don’t Lie Roberto
- 2010 – Just Wright Lloyd Wright
- 2013 – 42 Mr. Brock
- 1986–1990 – Another World Zack Edwards
- 1990–1996; 2018 – Roseanne Chuck Mitchell
- 1991–1992 – Beverly Hills, 90210 Henry Thomas
- 1992- Blossom Vinnie
- 1993 – NYPD Blue Nathan
- 1994 – Renegade Lieutenant Pete Calloway
- 1995 – Trail by Fire
- 1996–1997 – Something So Right Jim
- 1997–1998 – Brooklyn South Detective
- 1997–2000 – The Practice Detective Mike McKrew
- 1998–2000 – Any Day Now Judge Lucius Pear
- 1998–2002; 2018 – The X-Files FBI Deputy Director Alvin Kersh
- 1999 – Vengeance Unlimited Mr. Hobbs
- 2000 – City of Angels Wilson Patterson
- 2001–2002 – Philly Clyde Coleman
- 2002–2003 – Six Feet Under Roderick Charles
- 2002–2003 – Becker Cliff Bennett
- 2003 – CSI: Miami Prison Warden
- 2004 – Line of Fire Kenneth Stevens
- 2005–present – Grey’s Anatomy Richard Webber
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor
- 2007–2009 – Private Practice Richard Webber
- 2010 – Seattle Grace: Message of Hope Richard Webber
- 2018 – Grey’s Anatomy: B-Team Richard Webber
- 2018 – Yellowstone Old Cowboy
- 2018–present – The Conners Chuck Mitchell
- 2020–present – Station 19 Richard Webber
- 2022–2023 – The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder Charles (voice)
Notable Travel, Events, and Experiences
As an actor, James Jr has had the opportunity to travel to different parts of the world for filming, premieres, and other events. Here are some notable travel, events, and experiences of James Jr:
- “Grey’s Anatomy” filming locations: As a regular cast member on “Grey’s Anatomy,” James has filmed in various locations, including Los Angeles, Seattle, and Tokyo.
- Red carpet events: James has attended numerous red carpet events, including award shows like the Screen Actors Guild Awards, the NAACP Image Awards, and the Primetime Emmy Awards.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony: In 2019, James was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which was a notable experience for him.
- Philanthropic work: James is involved in various charitable organizations, and he has participated in events to raise funds and awareness for causes like cancer research, education, and youth empowerment.
- Theater performances: James has performed in various plays, including August Wilson’s “Fences” and Lorraine Hansberry’s “A Raisin in the Sun.” These performances have taken him to different theaters across the United States.
- Fan conventions: James has participated in fan conventions for “Grey’s Anatomy,” where he has interacted with fans and discussed his work on the show.
Future Aspirations and Goals
- Continuing his work on “Grey’s Anatomy”: James Jr has been a regular cast member on “Grey’s Anatomy” for over 15 seasons, and he may continue to play his character of Dr. Richard Webber for as long as the show runs.
- Exploring new acting roles: While James has been a part of “Grey’s Anatomy” for many years, he may also seek out other acting opportunities to challenge himself and grow as an actor.
- Producing and directing: Many actors turn to producing and directing as they advance in their careers, and James may have an interest in pursuing these roles behind the camera.
- Philanthropic work: James is known for his philanthropic work, and he may continue to work with organizations and causes that are important to him.
- Personal life: Like anyone, James may have personal goals and aspirations, such as spending more time with family, traveling, or pursuing hobbies or interests outside of his career.
Social Impact: Philanthropic, Charitable and Community Involvement
James Jr. is known for his philanthropic and charitable work, and he has been involved in a number of organizations and causes over the years. Here are some examples of his community involvement and social impact:
- Support for cancer research: James has been a strong supporter of cancer research and has been involved with organizations like Stand Up to Cancer and the American Cancer Society. He has also participated in events like the Los Angeles Cancer Challenge, a 5K run/walk to raise funds for pancreatic cancer research.
- Education and youth empowerment: James has been involved with the Fulfillment Fund, an organization that provides guidance and support to students from low-income communities to help them achieve their educational goals. He has also been involved with organizations like the Boys & Girls Club of America and the Young Storytellers Foundation, which empower young people through storytelling and creative writing.
- Disaster relief: In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, James traveled to New Orleans to help with relief efforts, and he has also been involved with organizations like the American Red Cross and the United Way.
- Veterans support: James has been involved with organizations like the Wounded Warrior Project, which provides support for wounded veterans and their families.
- Community involvement: James has been recognized for his dedication to his community, and he has been involved with organizations like the Los Angeles Urban League, which provides services and support to African American communities.
James Pickens Jr. Awards Accomplishments and Achievements
James has had a successful career as an actor, and he has been recognized for his talent and achievements in a number of ways. Here are some of his notable awards, accomplishments, and achievements:
- Screen Actors Guild Award: James has been nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award four times for his role on “Grey’s Anatomy.” In 2006, he was part of the winning ensemble for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series.
- NAACP Image Award: James has been nominated for an NAACP Image Award four times, and he won the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 2018.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame: In 2019, James was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in recognition of his contributions to the entertainment industry.
- Theater Awards: James has been recognized for his work in theater with a number of awards, including a Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award for his performance in August Wilson’s play “Fences.”
- Community Service: James is also known for his philanthropic work, and he has been recognized for his contributions to his community. In 2016, he was honored with the Los Angeles City Council’s Trailblazer Award for his dedication to improving the lives of others.
James Jr. has made a significant impact on the entertainment industry, and his work as an actor and philanthropist has also left a lasting legacy. Here are some aspects of his legacy:
- Acting career: James has had a successful career as an actor, and his role as Dr. Richard Webber on “Grey’s Anatomy” has made him a beloved figure in the entertainment industry. His performances in films like “The X-Files” and “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” have also been memorable.
- Representation and diversity: James has been a trailblazer in the entertainment industry, and his work has helped to increase representation and diversity on screen. As an African American actor, he has broken down barriers and paved the way for future generations of actors.
- Philanthropic work: James has been involved with a number of charitable organizations and causes, and his work has had a positive impact on the lives of many people. His dedication to cancer research, education, and youth empowerment has made a difference in communities around the world.
- Inspiration and leadership: James has been recognized for his leadership and dedication, and he has inspired many people to pursue their own goals and dreams. His commitment to his craft and his community have made him a role model for many.
Hobbies and Interests
- Sports: James is a fan of basketball, and he has participated in celebrity basketball games for charity.
- Music: James is also a fan of music, and he has been known to attend concerts and music festivals.
- Travel: As someone who has had a successful career in the entertainment industry, it is possible that James enjoys traveling to new places and experiencing different cultures.
- Art: James may have an interest in art, whether it be painting, sculpture, or other forms of artistic expression.
- Reading: Given his background in acting and storytelling, it is possible that James enjoys reading books and literature.
James Jr. is a talented actor, philanthropist, and community leader who has left a lasting impact on the entertainment industry and beyond. Through his work on “Grey’s Anatomy” and in films and television shows throughout his career, he has entertained and inspired audiences around the world.
Beyond his acting career, James has also been involved in various charitable causes and organizations, supporting cancer research, education, and youth empowerment. His dedication to these causes has made a positive impact on the lives of many people and helped to make the world a better place.
Frequently Asked Questions About James Pickens Jr.
James is a famous actor who gained extensive recognition for his roles in the films Yellowstone (2018) and Roseanne (1990–1996; 2018).
James is an American national born on 26th October 1954, in Cleveland, Ohio.
James stands at a height of 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 meters).
Yes, James is married to Gina Pickens (nee Taylor). They got married on May 27, 1984 and together they have two children.
James has an approximate net worth of $13 million. This amount has been accrued from his leading roles in the entertainment industry.
Details about James’ salary are not yet disclosed. However, information about how much he makes will be updated as soon as it is available.
Because of security reasons, James has not shared his precise location of residence. We will update this information if we get the location and images of his house.
James is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of him being sick or having any health-related issues.
James is still an active participant in the creative entertainment industry, he is a cast member of The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder.
James Pickens Jr. Contacts
You may also like to read the Bio, Career, Family, Relationship, Body measurements, Net worth, Achievements, and more about: