Table of Contents
- 1 John Nettles Biography
- 2 10 Quick Facts About John Nettles
- 3 John Nettles Age
- 4 John Nettles Height
- 5 John Nettles Weight
- 6 John Nettles Education
- 7 John Nettles Family
- 8 John Nettles Wife
- 9 John Nettles Daughter
- 10 John Nettles Net Worth
- 11 John Nettles Measurements and Facts
- 12 John Nettles Actor
- 13 John Nettles Midsomer Murders, why did John Nettles leave Midsomer Murders
- 14 John Nettles Books
- 15 John Nettles Health – John Nettles Illness
- 16 Nettles Tv Shows
- 17 Nettles Movies
- 18 Frequently Asked Questions About John Nettles Actor
- 19 John Nettles Contacts
- 20 Related Biography
John Nettles Biography
John Nettles is an English actor and writer who was born and brought up in St Austell, Cornwall as John Vivian Drummond Nettles. Nettles is widely famous for his role as Jim Bergerac in Bergerac and Tom Barnaby in Midsomer Murders. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2010 Birthday Honours.
10 Quick Facts About John Nettles
- Name: John Vivian Drummond Nettles
- Age: 78 years
- Birthday: October 11
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Height: 5 feet 9 inches (1.78 m)
- Nationality: English
- Occupation: Actor and writer
- Marital Status: Married to Cathryn Sealey
- Salary: Under Review
- Net worth: $10 million dollars
John Nettles Age
Nettles is 78 years of age as of 2021, he was born on October 11, 1943, in St Austell, Cornwall. He celebrates his birthday on 11 Oct every year and his birth sign is Libra.
John Nettles Height
John stands at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (1.78 m) tall
John Nettles Weight
John has a weight of 75 kgs (165.3lbs). He has light brown hair and blue eyes. However, his full body measurements are currently not available.
John Nettles Education
John attended St Austell Grammar School and later joined the University of Southampton in 1962 where he studied history and philosophy. While at the university, he discovered acting and played mostly small parts in Royal Court Theatre productions. He left school to pursue a career in the theater and became a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon.
John Nettles Family
John was raised by his adoptive parents Eric Nettles and his wife Elsie Nettles. His adoptive father Eric Nettles worked as a carpenter while details about his adoptive mother are not available. John was adopted at birth and his biological mother was an Irish nurse who immigrated to Great Britain during the Second World War. However, details about his biological father are not available currently. He does not have any known siblings. However, he has two grandchildren, Sophie Nettles and Nathan John Nettles.
John Nettles Wife
Nettles has been married twice. He had his first marriage commitment with Joyce Nettles, in 1966. In 1970, their daughter Emma was born. However, John and his wife Joyce Nettles officially divorced in 1979 due to undisclosed reasons. His ex-wife Joyce Nettles also worked in the film industry as a casting director in the casting department.
Despite his divorce, Nettles did not give up on his search to find love. Nettles married his current wife Cathryn Sealey in July 1995 in Evesham, Worcestershire in a private wedding ceremony attended by close friends and family. The lovely couple does not have a child yet.
John Nettles Daughter
Nettles is the father of one child, a daughter by the name of Emma Nettles. John and his then-wife Joyce Nettles welcomed their first daughter Emma Nettles in 1970. However, details about John’s daughter are rather scarce and unavailable. Nettles’ daughter Emma Nettles is the proud mother of two children, Nathan John and Sophie.
John Nettles Net Worth
John Nettles has an estimated net worth of $10 million dollars as of 2022. This includes his assets, money, and income. His primary source of income is his career as an actor. Through his various sources of income, Nettles has been able to accumulate a good fortune but prefers to lead a modest lifestyle.
John Nettles Measurements and Facts
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about John Nettles.
John Nettles Wiki
- Full Names: John Vivian Drummond Nettles
- Gender: Male
- Famous For: Playing Jim Bergerac in the series Bergerac
- Occupation / Profession: Actor and writer
- Nationality: Cornish
- Race / Ethnicity: Caucasian
- Religion: Not Known
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
John Nettles Birthday
- Age / How Old?: 78 years (as of 2021)
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Date of Birth: October 11, 1943
- Place of Birth: St Austell, Cornwall
- Birthday: October 11, every year
John Nettles Body Measurements
- Body Measurements: Not Available
- Body Size: 44″
- Height / How Tall?: 5 feet 9 inches (1.78 m) tall
- Weight: Not Known
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Light brown
- Shoe Size: Not Available
John Nettles Family and Relationship
- Father (Dad): Eric Nettles
- Mother: Elsie Nettles
- Siblings (Brothers and Sisters): Not Known
- Marital Status: Married
- Wife/Spouse: Married to Cathryn Sealey
- Ex-Wife: Joyce Nettles
- Dating / Girlfriend: Not Applicable
- Children: Emma Nettles
- Grandchildren: Nathan John Nettles and Sophie Nettles
John Nettles Net Worth and Salary
- Net Worth: $10 Million Dollars
- Salary: Under Review
- Source of Income: Under Review
John Nettles Actor
Nettles played Laertes to Tom Courtenay’s Hamlet in 1969 at the University Theatre for 69 Theatre Company in Manchester. From 1969 to 1970, he was in repertory at the Northcott Theatre in Exeter, and in the latter year had his first screen role in the film One More Time. The following year he played Dr. Ian Mackenzie in the period drama A Family at War, a role he continued until 1972.
He had small parts in many television programs, including The Liver Birds, Dickens of London, Robin of Sherwood, and an episode of Enemy at the Door entitled “Law Officers.” He played fraudster Giles Sutton in the Heartbeat of ITV. In 1981, John Nettles won the role that made him a household name in the UK, that of Jim Bergerac in the Jersey-set crime drama Bergerac.
Since Bergerac’s end in 1991, Nettles spent five seasons with the Royal Shakespeare Company, performing in The Winter’s Tale, Windsor’s Merry Wives, Julius Caesar, Richard III, and The Devil is an Ass. In 1992, he appeared in an episode of Boon, and in 1993 appeared as Jim Bergerac in the spoof police comedy The Detectives.
In 1995, Brian True-May asked Nettles to play Tom Barnaby in a new series of murder mysteries he was to create entitled Midsomer Murders. Midsomer Murders made him into a worldwide household name. In 2003 he played Barnaby in the French & Saunders episode of Boxing Day. Nettles was featured in a Heartbeat episode in 2001. In 2007 he appeared in the comedy series Will Smith Presents Bergerac’s Tao on BBC Radio 4. In the second and third seasons of the popular historical drama, Poldark Nettles played a recurring role as Ray Penvenen in 2016 and 2017.
During the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, he wrote Bergerac’s Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series. He followed up with John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history. He wrote in 1991 the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: A Mini Celebrity Confessions. Nettles published Jewels and Jackboots in 2012.
During the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, he wrote Bergerac’s Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series. He followed up with John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history. In 1991, he wrote the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: Confessions of a Mini Celebrity. In 2012 Nettles wrote Jewels and Jackboots.
John Nettles Midsomer Murders, why did John Nettles leave Midsomer Murders
He was cast as Tom Barnaby, a Detective Chief Inspector in the British television detective drama Midsomer Murders. Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby in the picturesque yet lethal villages of the fictitious county of Midsomer to solve multiple murders that take place. Throughout the series run the Barnabys worked with several different sergeants: Detective Sergeant (DS) Gavin Troy, DS Dan Scott, DS Ben Jones, DS Charlie Nelson, and DS Jamie Winter.
John started starring in Midsomer Murders in 1997 but decided to leave the show in 2009. He made the tough decision of leaving Midsomer Murders after he believed that he was overstaying his welcome on the series. Even after leaving the series in 2009, his last episode on Midsomer Murders aired two years later.
John Nettles Books
- He wrote ‘Bergerac’s Jersey’ (BBC Books, 1988) during the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series.
- He later wrote ‘John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places’ (BBC Books, 1992) about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history.
- In 1991 he wrote the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: Confessions of a Mini Celebrity (Robson Books; ISBN 0-7451-1961-1) about becoming a “reluctant heartthrob” to female viewers of Bergerac. This was re-released as a Kindle version on Amazon in 2014 following the reruns of Bergerac on BBC2 as part of their afternoon nostalgia collection.
- In 2012 Nettles wrote ‘Jewels and Jackboots’ about the German occupation of the Channel Islands. It sold out in a matter of weeks and was republished in 2013 as a paperback and on Kindle.
John Nettles Health – John Nettles Illness
This information will be updated.
Nettles Tv Shows
- 1996 – 2008: Airport
- 1981 – 1991: Bergerac
- 1969 – 1979: The Liver Birds
- 1970 – 1972: A Family at War
- 1997 – 2009: Midsomer Murders
- Since 2015: Poldark
- Since 1976: Dickens of London
- Since 1993: The Skipper
- 2002: The Hound of the Baskervilles
- 2004: Midsomer Murders: Ghosts of Christmas Past
- 1980: The Merchant of Venice
- 1995: All Men Are Mortal
- 2016: Never Land
- The Killings at Badger’s Drift
- Electric Vendetta
- Midsomer Murders: Written in Blood
- Midsomer Murders: Strangler’s Wood
- Midsomer Murders: Faithful Unto Death
- Midsomer Murders: Death in Disguise
- Midsomer Murders: Beyond the Grave
- Midsomer Murders: Dead Man’s Eleven
- Midsomer Murders: Blood Will Out
Frequently Asked Questions About John Nettles Actor
Who is John Nettles?
Nettles is an actor and writer from Cornwall.
How old is John Nettles?
Nettles is 78 years of age as of 2021, he was born on October 11, 1943, in St Austell, Cornwall.
How tall is John Nettles?
Nettles has not shared his height with the public. His height will be listed once we have it from a credible source.
Is John Nettles married?
Yes, Nettles is married to Cathryn Sealey. They got married in 1995.
How much is John Nettles worth?
Nettles has an approximate Net Worth of $10 Million as of 2022 from his leading roles in the film and entertainment industry.
How much does John Nettles make?
His salary is still under review.
Where does John Nettles live?
Nettles and his wife Cathryn Sealey reside in Evesham, Worcestershire. Additionally, he owns a 20-acre farm in northern Devon, with five horses, two donkeys, one dog, three cats, half a dozen chickens, two gees, and assorted wild things.
Is Nettles Actor dead or alive?
Nettles is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of him being sick or having any health-related issues. However, there are rumors that he had difficulty breathing due to asthma.
What was Nettles’s last episode?
Nettles was last seen on the last episode of the series Midsomer Murders on 2nd February 2011. On his last day, the film was watched by an average of 7.1m viewers, which is said to be the show’s biggest audience since April 2008. He was replaced by Neil Dudgeon.
Why did Nettles leave?
While at a friend’s birthday, Nettles said that, he was going on an “indefinite holiday”.
John Nettles Contacts
You may also like to read the Bio, Career, Family, Relationship, Body measurements, Net worth, Achievements, and more about:
About InformationCradle Editorial Staff
This Article is produced by InformationCradle Editorial Staff which is a team of expert writers and editors led by Josphat Gachie and trusted by millions of readers worldwide.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date. For complain, correction or an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.