John Nettles Biography
John Nettles is an actor and writer from Cornwall known for his roles in the television series Bergerac and Midsomer Murders. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2010 Birthday Honours.
John Nettles Age
Nettles is 76 years old as of 2020, he was born on 11 October 1943 in St Austell, Cornwall, he celebrates his birthday on 11 October every year. His birth sign is Libra.
John Nettles Height and Weight
Nettles stands at an average height of 5ft 9 (1.78 m). His body weight measurements are still under review.
John Nettles Education
He attended St Austell Grammar School and later joined the University of Southampton in 1962 where he studied history and philosophy. While at the university, he discovered acting and played mostly small parts in Royal Court Theatre productions. He left school to pursue a career in the theater and became a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon.
John Nettles Family
He was born to an Irish mother who had emigrated to the United Kingdom during the Second World War. Soon after birth, he was adopted by carpenter Eric Nettles and his wife Elsie.
John Nettles Wife
Nettles has been married twice. He had his first marriage commitment with Joyce Nettles, in 1966. In 1970, their daughter Emma was born. The couple officially divorced in 1979. He is now married to his wife, Cathryn Sealey. The couple tied the knot in July 1995 in Evesham, Worcestershire.
John Nettles Daughter
Nettles is a father of one child, a daughter by the name Emma Nettles. She was born of John and his ex-wife Joyce, in 1970.
John Nettles Net Worth
Nettles has an estimated net worth of $10 million. He has earned through his successful career as an actor and writer.
John Nettles Measurements and Facts John Nettles
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about John Nettles.
John Nettles Bio and Wiki
- Full Names: John Vivian Drummond Nettles
- Gender: Male
- Occupation / Profession: actor and writer
- Nationality: Cornish
- Race / Ethnicity: Caucasian
- Religion: Not Known
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
John Nettles Birthday
- Age / How Old?: 76 years old (as of 2020)
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Date of Birth: 11 October 1943
- Place of Birth: St Austell, Cornwall
- Birthday: 11 October
John Nettles Body Measurements
- Body Measurements: Not Available
- Height / How Tall?: 5ft 9 (1.78 m)
- Weight: Not Known
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Grey
- Shoe Size: Not Available
John Nettles Family and Relationship
- Father (Dad): Eric Nettles
- Mother: Elsie Nettles
- Siblings (Brothers and Sisters): Not Known
- Marital Status: Married
- Wife/Spouse or Husband/Spouse: Married to Cathryn Sealey
- Dating / Girlfriend or Dating / Boyfriend: Not Applicable
- Children: Emma Nettles
John Nettles Networth and Salary
- Net Worth: $10 million
- Salary: Under Review
- Source of Income: Under Review
John Nettles House and Cars
- Place of living: To be Updated
- Cars: Car Brand to be Updated
John Nettles Work
Nettles played Laertes to Tom Courtenay’s Hamlet in 1969 at the University Theatre for 69 Theatre Company in Manchester. From 1969 to 1970, he was in repertory at the Northcott Theatre in Exeter, and in the latter year had his first screen role in the film One More Time. The following year he played Dr. Ian Mackenzie in the period drama A Family at War, a role he continued until 1972.
He had small parts in many television programs, including The Liver Birds, Dickens of London, Robin of Sherwood, and an episode of Enemy at the Door entitled “Law Officers.” He played fraudster Giles Sutton in the Heartbeat of ITV. In 1981, John Nettles won the role that made him a household name in the UK, that of Jim Bergerac in the Jersey-set crime drama Bergerac.
Since Bergerac’s end in 1991, Nettles spent five seasons with the Royal Shakespeare Company, performing in The Winter’s Tale, Windsor’s Merry Wives, Julius Caesar, Richard III, and The Devil is an Ass. In 1992, he appeared in an episode of Boon, and in 1993 appeared as Jim Bergerac in the spoof police comedy The Detectives.
In 1995, Brian True-May asked Nettles to play Tom Barnaby in a new series of murder mystery he was to create entitled Midsomer Murders. Midsomer Murders made him into a worldwide household name. In 2003 he played Barnaby in the French & Saunders episode of Boxing Day. Nettles was featured in a Heartbeat episode in 2001. In 2007 he appeared in the comedy series Will Smith Presents Bergerac’s Tao on BBC Radio 4. In the second and third seasons of the popular historical drama, Poldark Nettles played a recurring role as Ray Penvenen in 2016 and 2017.
During the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, he wrote Bergerac’s Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series. He followed up with John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history. He wrote in 1991 the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: A Mini Celebrity Confessions. Nettles published Jewels and Jackboots in 2012.
During the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, he wrote Bergerac’s Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series. He followed up with John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history. In 1991, he wrote the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: Confessions of a Mini Celebrity. In 2012 Nettles wrote Jewels and Jackboots.
John Nettles Midsomer Murders
He was cast as Tom Barnaby, a Detective Chief Inspector in the British television detective drama Midsomer Murders. Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby in the picturesque yet lethal villages of the fictitious county of Midsomer to solve multiple murders that take place. Throughout the series run the Barnabys worked with several different sergeants: Detective Sergeant (DS) Gavin Troy, DS Dan Scott, DS Ben Jones, DS Charlie Nelson, and DS Jamie Winter.
John Nettles Books
- He wrote ‘Bergerac’s Jersey’ (BBC Books, 1988) during the filming of Bergerac, filmed on the island of Jersey, a travel guide to filming locations in the series.
- He later wrote ‘John Nettles’ Jersey: A Personal View of the People and Places’ (BBC Books, 1992) about the island’s landscape, personalities, and history.
- In 1991 he wrote the semi-autobiographical Nudity in a Public Place: Confessions of a Mini Celebrity (Robson Books; ISBN 0-7451-1961-1) about becoming a “reluctant heartthrob” to female viewers of Bergerac. This was re-released as a Kindle version on Amazon in 2014 following the reruns of Bergerac on BBC2 as part of their afternoon nostalgia collection.
- In 2012 Nettles wrote ‘Jewels and Jackboots’ about the German occupation of the Channel Islands. It sold out in a matter of weeks and was republished in 2013 as a paperback and on Kindle.
John Nettles Health – John Nettles Illness
This information will be updated.
Nettles Tv Shows
- 1996 – 2008: Airport
- 1981 – 1991: Bergerac
- 1969 – 1979: The Liver Birds
- 1970 – 1972: A Family at War
- 1997 – 2009: Midsomer Murders
- Since 2015: Poldark
- Since 1976: Dickens of London
- Since 1993: The Skipper
- 2002: The Hound of the Baskervilles
- 2004: Midsomer Murders: Ghosts of Christmas Past
- 1980: The Merchant of Venice
- 1995: All Men Are Mortal
- 2016: Never Land
- The Killings at Badger’s Drift
- Electric Vendetta
- Midsomer Murders: Written in Blood
- Midsomer Murders: Strangler’s Wood
- Midsomer Murders: Faithful Unto Death
- Midsomer Murders: Death in Disguise
- Midsomer Murders: Beyond the Grave
- Midsomer Murders: Dead Man’s Eleven
- Midsomer Murders: Blood Will Out
Frequently Asked Questions About John Nettles
Who is John Nettles?
Nettles is an actor and writer from Cornwall.
How old is John Nettles?
He is 76 years old as of 2019. He was born in 1943.
How tall is John Nettles?
He has not shared his height with the public. His height will be listed once we have it from a credible source.
Is John Nettles married?
Yes, he is married to Cathryn Sealey. They got married in 1995.
How much is John Nettles worth?
He has an approximate net worth of $10 million. This amount has been accrued from his leading roles in the entertainment industry.
How much does John Nettles make?
His salary is still under review.
Where does John Nettles live?
He and Cathy live on a 20-acre farm in northern Devon, with five horses, two donkeys, one dog, three cats, half a dozen chickens, two gees and ‘ assorted wild things that took refuge with us. ‘
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
2. Diabetes Treatment
4. Breast Cancer
5. Blood Pressure
6. Heart Attack
Is John Nettles dead or alive?
He is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of him being sick or having any health-related issues.
What was John Nettles’s last episode?
His was last seen on the last episode of the series Midsomer Murders on 2nd February 2011. On his last day, the film was watched by an average of 7.1m viewers, which is said to be the show’s biggest audience since April 2008. He was replaced by Neil Dudgeon.
Why did John Nettles leave?
While at a friend’s birthday, he said that, he was going on an “indefinite holiday”.
Nettles Social Media Contacts
You may also like to read the Bio, Career, Family, Relationship, Body measurements, Net worth, Achievements, and more about:
We acknowledge the following websites that we have referenced as we were writing this article.:
- Instagram and
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to email@example.com indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.