John Osteen Biography
John Osteen was an American pastor and founding pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas, from its beginnings in 1959 until his death in 1999. His television program, John Osteen, ran for 16 years and was broadcast to millions in the U.S. and nearly 50 countries weekly.
10 Quick Facts About John Osteen
- Name: John Osteen
- Age: 77 years as of his death on January 23, 1999, in Houston, Texas
- Birthday: August 21
- Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Height: Average
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: Pastor
- Marital Status: Married
- Salary: Under Review
- Net worth: $100 million dollars
John Osteen Early Life
In Paris, Texas, Osteen was born.
John Osteen Education
He graduated from John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, with a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from the Northern Baptist Seminary. He also held a degree in Divinity from the University of Oral Roberts.
John Osteen Born
John Hillery Osteen was born on August 21, 1921, Siloam Springs, AR. He passed away on January 23rd, 1999, in Houston, Texas of a heart attack at the age of 77.
John Osteen Family
He was born to Willis Jackson Osteen and Ellen Mae Leigh Brawner. He was married two times with Dolores Osteen and Jean Shaffer. He has two sons named Joel Osteen and Paul Osteen and two daughters named and Tamara Osteen. He has a daughter-in-law named Victoria Osteen (Joel Osteen’s wife). He has a grandson named Jonathan Osteen (Joel Osteen’s son).
He was born to Willis Jackson Osteen and Ellen Mae Leigh Brawner
John Osteen Marriage
In his biography, Osteen said that until 1939, after leaving a nightclub he frequented, he did not begin to think seriously about God. Within a few months, he began preaching in Paris, Texas and was apparently ordained by a church affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention to the ministry of the Gospel shortly before his 18th birthday. After completing his studies at NBTS, he served as an Associate Pastor at First Baptist Church in San Diego, Texas and as a minister at First Baptist Church, Hamlin, Texas, in the late 1940s. In 1948, Osteen left Hamlin to become an itinerant preacher, but he became pastor of the Central Baptist Church, Baytown, Texas, within one year.
Osteen and his first wife, Emma Jean Shaffer, began experiencing marital unrest and subsequently divorced during his pastoral care of the Central Baptist Church. On September 17, 1954, he married Dolores “Dodie” Pilgrim and resigned his pastorate the following year. Osteen returned to pastoral ministry at Hibbard Memorial Baptist Church, Houston, Texas for a short time, but left in 1958.
Lisa’s first daughter, John, and Dodie were born with severe health problems that same year. As he wrestled with her circumstances, his theological beliefs began to shift and he had ecstatic religious experiences based on what he called “the baptism of the Holy Ghost.” A year later, on Mother’s Day May 10, 1959, he and Dodie began the Lakewood Baptist Church as a church for charismatic Baptists in “a dusty, abandoned feed store” in northeast Houston. The church was soon dropped from its name by “Baptist” and became non-denominational.
Osteen launched the Lakewood Bible Institute (LBI) in the mid-1980s, an “unaccredited school devoted to biblical training from a charismatic perspective.” LBI offered a variety of classes including Bible study, healing, conversion, and prayer principles. Osteen served as president of LBI until it was shut down in the late 1980s
John Osteen Children
Justin, Paul, Lisa, April, Tamara, and pastor Joel Osteen
John Osteen Son | Joel Osteen
Osteen, born in Houston, Texas, is one of six children of the pilgrim John Osteen and Dolores (“Dodie”). His father, a former Southern Baptist minister, founded Lakewood Church in the back of an old feed store (of which Osteen is the present senior pastor). He was educated at Humble High School, a public high school in the city of Humble, Texas, from which he graduated in 1981, followed by Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he studied radio and television broadcasting but did not graduate; he did not receive a degree from a school of divinity. In 1982, he returned to Houston and founded Lakewood’s television program, where he produced his father’s televised sermons for 17 years until January 1999, when his father died unexpectedly from a heart attack.
John Osteen Books
- 2013-Living in the Abundance of God
- 2012-Your Words Hold a Miracle: The Power of Speaking God’s Word
- 2012-Power Over the Enemy: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds
- 2012-Becoming a Man of Unwavering Faith
- 1972-Pulling Down Strongholds
- 1968- You Can Change Your Destiny
- 1972-There is a Miracle in Your Mouth
- 1978-How to Flow in the Super Supernatural
- 1978-How to Demonstrate Satan’s Defeat
- 1983-The Confessions of a Baptist Preacher
- 1978-Rivers of Living Water
- 1982-A Place Called There
- 1984-Reigning in Life As a King
- 1978-How to Claim the Benefits of the Will
- 1988-A Miracle for Your Marriage
- 1987-Unraveling the Mystery of the Blood Covenant
- 1980-The Sixth Sense… Faith
- 1978-The Divine Flow
- 1981-What to Do When the Tempter Comes
- 1978-The Truth Shall Set You Free
- 1980-The Believer’s #1 Need
- 1970-The Bible Way to Spiritual Power
- 1988-Believing God for Your Loved Ones
- 1987-Overcoming Hindrances to Receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
John Osteen Funeral
John Osteen Death
On January 23, 1999, he died after a heart attack at the age of 77
John Osteen Quotes
- “You cannot think negative thoughts and expect to live a positive life.”
- “Satan’s purpose is to take from you what God has given you.”
- “Faith is agreeing with God and saying what He says about you.”
- “You have been conveyed into God’s kingdom to help others get out. You have been released to release others. You are set free that you might go forth and set others free.”
- “you shall have whatever you say (see Mark 11:23).”
- “The Bible is filled with powerful statements about who we are in Christ and what belongs to us as believers.”
- “My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
- “The reason God tells you to hold fast is that there is a force that is going to seek to pull your blessings away from you. You are not going to keep your healing, you are not going to keep your blessings, and you are not going to keep all the good things of God if you get passive and let the devil slip up and take them away from you. The Bible says, “But hold fast what you have till I come!”
- “Lord, I do not believe all that my eyes see, all that my body feels, and all that the enemy would bring against me.”
John Osteen Lakewood Church
John Osteen founded Lakewood Church in 1959 in Houston, Texas and developed Lakewood into a body of approximately 15,000 members with active ministries in televangelism, conferences, missionary support, and food distribution. He hosted the weekly John Osteen television program for 16 years, reaching millions in the U.S. and in many other countries with his preaching. On January 23, 1999, he died after a heart attack at the age of 77. His youngest son Joel Osteen later became the pastor.
John Osteen Website
To interact with his website click here
Frequently Asked Questions About John Osteen
How did Osteen die?
Who is the father of Joel Osteen?
How old is John Osteen?
What happened to John Osteen?
He hosted the weekly John Osteen television program for 16 years, reaching millions in the U.S. and in many other countries with his preaching. On January 23, 1999, he died after a heart attack at the age of 77.
About InformationCradle Editorial Staff
This Article is produced by InformationCradle Editorial Staff which is a team of expert writers and editors led by Josphat Gachie and trusted by millions of readers worldwide.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date. For complain, correction or an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.