Josh Trank Biography
Josh Trank is an American film director, screenwriter, and film editor who was born and brought up in Los Angeles, California, United States of America. He is widely known for directing the 2012 science fiction thriller film ‘Chronicle’, the 2015 superhero film ‘Fantastic Four’, and the biographical crime film ‘Capone’.
10 Quick Facts About Josh Trank
- Name: Joshua Benjamin Trank
- Age: 39 Years (As of 2023)
- Birthday: 19 February
- Zodiac Sign: Pisces
- Height: 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m)
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: Film Director, Screenwriter, and Film Editor
- Marital Status: Divorced
- Salary: Under Review
- Net worth: $8 Million
Josh Trank Age
Trank is 39 years old as of 2023, he was born on 19 February 1984, in Los Angeles, California, United States. He celebrates his birthday on 19 February every year and his birth sign is Pisces.
Josh Trank Height
Trank stands at a height of 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m).
Josh Trank Weight
Trank Weighs 75 kg (165 lbs).
Early Life and Education
Trank was born on February 19, 1984, in Los Angeles, California. He grew up in the San Fernando Valley and attended high school in Agoura Hills, California. His interest in filmmaking began at a young age. He started making short films with his friends and family, using a camcorder and basic editing software.
After high school, Trank attended Columbia College Chicago, where he studied film production. He left college after one year and moved back to Los Angeles to pursue a career in the film industry.
Trank’s early work in the industry included jobs as a production assistant and an editor on various independent films. He also worked as a freelance screenwriter, writing scripts for low-budget films and television shows.
Rise to Fame
Trank’s rise to fame came with the release of his debut feature film, “Chronicle,” in 2012. The film, which Trank directed and co-wrote with Max Landis, told the story of three high school students who gain superpowers and the consequences that come with their newfound abilities. The film was shot in a found-footage style, giving it a unique and immersive visual style.
“Chronicle” was a critical and commercial success, grossing over $126 million worldwide on a budget of just $12 million. The film received praise for its originality, storytelling, and visual effects, and Trank was lauded for his direction.
Following the success of “Chronicle,” Trank was tapped to direct the 2015 reboot of the “Fantastic Four” franchise for 20th Century Fox. The film, however, was heavily criticized and underperformed at the box office, leading to a significant backlash against Trank and the film’s producers.
Despite the controversy surrounding “Fantastic Four,” Trank’s innovative visual style and directorial abilities were still recognized, and he continued to be attached to several high-profile projects, including a standalone “Star Wars” film and a biopic about Al Capone.
In 2020, Trank released his third feature film, “Capone,” a biographical drama about the notorious gangster Al Capone. Despite mixed reviews, the film showcased Trank’s unique approach to storytelling and visual style.
Josh Trank Family
Trank was born to his parents Pamela Trank and Richard Trank in Los Angeles. His mother Pamela is a school teacher and his father Richard is a filmmaker. He spent his childhood with his younger sibling sister.
Josh Trank Wife
Trank was previously married to Krystin Ver Linden. They got married in 2013 and later divorced in 2017, Relevant details will be added soon concerning any information on his marriage issue.
Josh Trank Net Worth
Trank has an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars as of 2023. This includes his assets, money and income. His primary source of income is his career as a film director, screenwriter, and film editor. Through his various sources of income, Josh has been able to accumulate a good fortune but prefers to lead a modest lifestyle.
Josh Trank Measurements and Facts
Here are some interesting facts and body measurements you should know about Josh.
Josh Trank Wiki
- Full Names: Joshua Benjamin Trank
- Popular As: Josh
- Gender: Male
- Occupation / Profession: Film Director, Screenwriter, and Film Editor
- Nationality: American
- Race / Ethnicity: Not Available
- Religion: Not Known
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
Josh Trank Birthday
- Age / How Old?: 39 years (2023)
- Zodiac Sign: Pisces
- Date of Birth: 19 February 1984
- Place of Birth: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Birthday: 19 February
Josh Trank Body Measurements
- Body Measurements: Not Available
- Height / How Tall?: 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m)
- Weight: 75 kg (165 lbs)
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Black
- Shoe Size: Not Available
Josh Trank Family and Relationship
- Father (Dad): Richard Trank
- Mother: Pamela Trank
- Siblings (Brothers and Sisters): One
- Marital Status: Divorced
- Wife/Spouse: Krystin Ver Linden (m. 2013; div. 2017)
- Dating / Girlfriend: Single
- Children: Sons (Not Known) Daughter(s) (Not Known)
Josh Trank Net Worth and Salary
- Net Worth: $8 Million
- Salary: Under Review
- Source of Income: Film Director, Screenwriter, and Film Editor
Josh Trank Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four (stylized as FANT4STIC) is a 2015 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. It is the third and final theatrical Fantastic Four film to be produced and distributed by 20th Century Fox and a reboot of the Fantastic Four film franchise.
Directed by Josh Trank, who co-wrote the screenplay with Jeremy Slater and Simon Kinberg, the film stars Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell, and Toby Kebbell. In Fantastic Four, the team must learn to harness their superhuman abilities gained from an alternate universe to save Earth from a friend turned enemy.
He was the obvious candidate to reinvigorate Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox. In 2010, the studio plucked the then-26-year-old filmmaker from obscurity to direct the micro-budgeted Chronicle. The story of three high schoolers who gain, and are torn apart, by superhuman power gave Trank the chance to rewire the “found footage” style with untethered psychic velocity.
The race to book Trank ended in late 2012 with an offer from Fox to direct Fantastic Four. In the mid-2000s, a pair of lighthearted Fantastic Four films led by Jessica Alba and Chris Evans failed to breakthrough in a zeitgeist captured by Christopher Nolan’s gritty reinvention of Batman.
Josh Trank Capone 2020
Capone is an American biographical crime film written, directed, and edited by Josh Trank, with Tom Hardy starring as the notorious gangster Al Capone. The film centers on Capone after his 11-year sentence at the United States Penitentiary, Atlanta as he suffers from syphilis and dementia. It is scheduled to be released on May 12, 2020, by Vertical Entertainment.
Josh Trank Chronicle Director
Chronicle is a 2012 American found footage science-fiction thriller film directed by Josh Trank and written by Max Landis based on a story by both. It follows three Seattle high school seniors, bullied Andrew (Dane DeHaan), his cousin Matt (Alex Russell), and more popular Steve (Michael B. Jordan), who form a bond after gaining telekinetic powers from an unknown object. The first use their abilities for mischief and personal gain until Andrew turns to darker purposes.
Chronicle premiered at the Gérardmer Film Festival on January 28, 2012. It was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on February 1, 2012, and in the United States on February 3, 2012. The film grossed $126.6 million at the international box office, against a budget of $12 million. The film has an 85% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes, a 69/100 rating at Metacritic, and received a nomination for Best Science Fiction Film at the 39th Saturn Awards.
Josh Trank Star Wars
He has cited the pressures of directing the “Star Wars” spinoff, following four years of work on “Fantastic Four,” as the key reason for dropping out of the Disney-Lucasfilm project a month ago.
In his first public interview since the May 1 announcement, Trank told the Los Angeles Times that he wants to do a lower profile project rather than a “Star Wars” movie after working on Fox’s “Fantastic Four.”
“I want to do something original after this because I’ve been living under public scrutiny, as you’ve seen, for the last four years of my life,” he told the newspaper. “And it’s not healthy for me right now in my life. I want to do something that’s below the radar.”
Trank’s statement on May 1 said only that he made a “personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities.”
Josh Trank Movies
- 2009 – Big Fan
- 2011 – The Lie
- 2012 – Chronicle
- 2013 – Arrested Development
- 2015 – Fantastic Four
- 2020 – Capone
- 2021 – On Cinema
- 2021 – Happily
Notable Travel, Events, and Experiences
Josh’s personal life or travel experiences is unavailable. However, here are some notable events and experiences that have been publicly reported:
- Directorial Debut: Josh’s feature film directorial debut, “Chronicle,” premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
- Comic-Con: Josh has attended San Diego Comic-Con multiple times to promote his films and participate in panel discussions.
- Fantastic Four Premiere: Josh attended the premiere of “Fantastic Four” in New York City in 2015.
- Controversies: Josh has been involved in some controversies surrounding his films, particularly “Fantastic Four,” which led to public disputes with the film’s studio, 20th Century Fox.
- Film Festivals: Josh’s films have been screened at various film festivals around the world, including Sundance, South by Southwest (SXSW), and Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
- Collaborations: Josh has worked with notable actors and filmmakers, such as Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller, and Simon Kinberg.
Josh Trank Awards Accomplishments and Achievements
Josh is an American film director, writer, and producer. He is best known for his work on the films “Chronicle” and “Fantastic Four.” Here are some of his notable awards, accomplishments, and achievements:
- “Chronicle”: Josh’s feature film directorial debut, “Chronicle,” was released in 2012 and received critical acclaim. The film went on to gross over $126 million worldwide.
- Special Jury Prize at Sundance: Josh won a special jury prize for his work on “Chronicle” at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
- BAFTA nomination: In 2013, Josh received a nomination for the BAFTA Rising Star Award.
- “Fantastic Four”: In 2015, Josh directed the superhero film “Fantastic Four.” Although the film received negative reviews and performed poorly at the box office, his direction and vision for the project were praised by some critics.
- Creative Control: In 2016, Josh released “Creative Control,” a science fiction film that he wrote, directed, and produced. The film was well received by critics and earned he a nomination for the Independent Spirit Award for Best First Screenplay.
- Future Projects: Josh is currently working on several upcoming film projects, including an Al Capone biopic titled “Fonzo” and a sci-fi film titled “Shadow of the Colossus.”
- Innovative storytelling: Josh has shown a knack for bringing unique perspectives and innovative storytelling techniques to his films. For example, “Chronicle” explored the concept of superpowers in a fresh way by presenting them through the lens of found footage.
- Genre-bending: Josh has also shown a willingness to mix genres and break convention in his films. “Chronicle” combined superhero and sci-fi elements with a coming-of-age story, while “Fantastic Four” played with the traditional superhero origin story format.
- Impact on Hollywood: Josh’s work has already had an impact on Hollywood, with “Chronicle” launching his career and “Fantastic Four” leading to discussions about the role of studio interference in creative projects.
- Potential for future success: Despite some setbacks in his career, Josh has shown a resilience and determination to continue making films. His upcoming projects, such as the Al Capone biopic “Fonzo” and the sci-fi film “Shadow of the Colossus,” suggest that he is still capable of creating compelling work.
Hobbies and Interests
- Film: It’s no surprise that Josh is passionate about film, given his career as a director. In interviews, he has spoken about his love for movies and his desire to create impactful and memorable stories on screen.
- Music: Josh has also expressed an interest in music, particularly rock and hip-hop. He has mentioned that he listens to music while working on his films to help him get in the right mindset.
- Gaming: Josh is a fan of video games, and has mentioned “Shadow of the Colossus” as one of his favorite games. He also directed a commercial for the video game “Call of Duty: Black Ops II.”
- Travel: Josh has mentioned that he enjoys traveling, particularly to places that are off the beaten path. In interviews, he has spoken about his experiences traveling in South America and Asia.
- Reading: Josh has mentioned that he enjoys reading books, particularly those that are thought-provoking or deal with complex themes.
Josh is a talented and innovative filmmaker who has made a significant impact on the film industry in a relatively short amount of time. His willingness to experiment with storytelling and genre, as well as his ability to create characters that audiences can connect with on an emotional level, have set him apart from his peers.
While Josh has faced some setbacks in his career, he has shown a determination to continue making films and telling stories that are important to him. His upcoming projects suggest that he still has plenty of creative energy and potential for future success.
Frequently Asked Questions About Josh Trank
Josh is an acclaimed film director, screenwriter, and film editor who gained extensive recognition for his roles in the films Chronicle (2012) and Fantastic’ Four (2015).
Josh is an American national born on 19th February 1984, in Los Angeles, California.
Josh stands at a height of 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 meters).
No, Josh was previously married to Krystin Ver Linden. They got married in 2013 and later divorced in 2017.
Josh has an approximate net worth of $8 million. This amount has been accrued from his leading roles in the entertainment industry.
Details about Josh’s salary are not yet disclosed. However, information about how much he makes will be updated as soon as it is available.
Because of security reasons, Josh has not shared his precise location of residence. We will update this information if we get the location and images of his house.
Josh is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of him being sick or having any health-related issues.
Josh is still an active participant in the creative entertainment industry, he is a cast member of On Cinema.
Josh Trank Contacts
You may also like to read the Bio, Career, Family, Relationship, Body measurements, Net worth, Achievements, and more about: