Adan Mohamed Biography
Adan Mohamed (Adan Abdulla Mohamed) was born in December 1963 in Mandera county. He is the Cabinet Secretary of Industrialization and Enterprise Development.
Prior to this appointment, he was the Chief Administrative Officer for Barclays Africa, with responsibility for 9 Barclays Bank subsidiaries in Africa. In addition, he was responsible for Brand and Marketing, Corporate Communications and Citizenship across Barclays Africa businesses. Before taking up the role in Barclays in February, 2013, Mohamed performed various senior roles in Barclays, including CEO of Barclays Kenya for over 10 years, and Managing Director – Barclays East and West Africa since 2008. He also worked in senior Finance roles in Barclays Bank. Prior to joining Barclays, he worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers London in the Management Consultancy and Business Advisory Services. His international career has seen him serve in Europe, US and Africa.
Adan Mohamed Education Background
- 1997 – 1998: Graduate student at Harvard Business School, MBA
- 1990 – 1991: Student at Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, ACA
- 1986 – 1989: Undergraduate student at the University of Nairobi, Degree in Commerce.
Adan Mohamed Job History
May 2013 – Present: Cabinet Minister: Ministry of Industry, Investments and Trade
- Minister responsible of Industry, Trade, Investments and business development in Kenya
February 2013 – April 2013: Chief Administrative Officer – Barclays Africa,Barclays
- As CAO for Barclays Africa, have responsibility for Barclays businesses in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Seychelles, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Ghana and Nigeria.
May 2008-January 2013: Managing Director – East/West Africa,Barclays
- Responsible for 4 key markets for Barclays Africa – Kenya, Ghana, Uganda and Tanzania – with a combined balance sheet of over USD 8 billion, staff compliment of over 8500 and 400 distribution points.
July 2002 – December 2012:Managing Director Kenya, Barclays
- Barclays Kenya is a listed entity on Nairobi Stock Exchange with market cap of approx USD 1 billion. Significant business growth with over five fold profit increase during the last 10 years. Barclays Kenya is the biggest contributor of profits to Barclays Africa (ex SA) averaging annual profits of GBP 100m in the last three years. Barclays has been the most profitable bank in Kenya in 9 out of the last 10 years and growing.
June 2000-June 2002: CFO Kenya, Barclays
December 1993-September 1997:Senior Management Consultant,Price Water house Coopers(PwC)
December 1992-November 1993: Senior Audit Manager,Price Water house Coopers(PwC)
September 1989-November 1992: Audit Assistant/Senior,Price Water house Coopers
Adan Mohamed Membership
Chairman of Kenya Bankers Association; Member of the Kenya National Economic and Social Council (NESC)
Chairman of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT)
Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
Adan Mohamed Awards
Adan Mohamed received Presidential recognition and was bestowed the Elder of Burning Spear (EBS) Award for his leading role and distinguished service in both the private and public sector.
Adan Mohamed Family, Wife and Children
- Adan Mohamed is married to Nafisa and have five children.
Adan Mohamed Facebook and Twitter
Adan Mohamed Photo