Daystar University was co-founded in 1964 in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, by Dr. S.E. Motsoko Pheko, a political refugee from South Africa, and Dr. Donald and Mrs. Faye K. Smith, an American missionary couple. The name ‘Daystar’ is derived from the Bible (2nd Peter 1:19), which is used to describe Jesus Christ. With this in mind, every member of Daystar University is encouraged to emulate Jesus Christ in behavior, lifestyle, and speech.
During the next four years, they established a Christian publishing ministry under the name Daystar Publications. When Mr. Pheko moved Daystar Publications to Zambia in 1967, the Smiths launched Daystar Communications during the same year in Zimbabwe. They also incorporated the US in hope of finding possible solutions to major Christian communication problems.
The eruption of civil war in Zimbabwe in 1974 prompted the re-location of Daystar Communications’ international headquarters to Nairobi Kenya, where the organization had been incorporated as a non-profit the year before. It was also during 1974 that Daystar Communications acquired a 1.54-acre plot in downtown Nairobi and established a small campus.
But with the ministry expanding rapidly, the need for later accommodations becomes obvious.
Daystar’s prayers were answered in 1989 when they chose a 300-acre property at Athi River (39 kilometers East of Nairobi) to set up their new university grounds. On September 19, 1992, Daystar University College – as it was then called – relocated the pioneer class of first-year students to the new Athi River Campus.
The campus has since grown considerably and continues to expand both in physical facilities and in the student population. The university, however, has not changed in its vision to develop servant leaders to serve their communities and nations.
The University combines impressive modern facilities and a dynamic approach to teaching and research. Daystar University strives for excellence in its teaching and research methods. The University is well known for quality in teaching. Training is personalized and by highly qualified faculty.
Pre-University and daytime undergraduate programs are offered at the Athi River Campus situated on the edge of the Athi plains on the slopes of the Lukenya Hills, about 40 kilometers from downtown Nairobi. Diploma courses, postgraduate programmes, day and evening undergraduate programs are offered at Nairobi Campus. The university also offers daytime pre-university studies at the Nairobi Campus.
The university recently opened the Mombasa campus, at Apollo House, Moi Avenue. The campus offers day and evening undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Built on 300 acres of land, the University’s Athi River Campus is 40 kilometers from Nairobi and is home to about 1,500 students both local and international.
Daystar University aspires to be a distinguished, Christ-centered African institution of higher learning for the transformation of church and society.
Daystar University seeks to develop managers, professionals, researchers and scholars to be effective, Christian servant-leaders through the integration of Christian faith and holistic learning for the transformation of church and society in Africa and the world.
The institution offers Christian education and communication for excellence in servant-leadership. These are its core ideals:
Daystar University Academic Programs
Daystar University was founded on the principle of nurturing servant leaders for the transformation of Church and Society. We have remained true to this calling. The uniqueness of our programs has been in developing the total person. We strongly believe that real transformation (social, political or economic) can only be achieved by having the right people in place; People who, other than the relevant training, also have the moral and ethical maturity needed to propagate a just society.
Daystar University Courses Offered
- Bachelor of Arts in Biblical and Religious Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Public Relations, Electronic Media, Print Media or Advertising).
- Bachelor of Arts in Community Development, Integrated
- Bachelor of Arts in Community Development, Rural
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in French
- Bachelor of Arts in Kiswahili
- Bachelor of Arts in Literature
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Peace and Conflict Transformation
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts in Technical and Professional Communication
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, Purchasing and
- Business Logistics, Law Option, or Management Information Systems)
- Bachelor of Education in Business and French
- Bachelor of Education in Business and Mathematics
- Bachelor of Education in Computer Science and Mathematics
- Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Development: Regular and school-based program
- Bachelor of Education in English (Language & Literature)
- Bachelor of Education in Music
- Bachelor of Education in French
- Bachelor of Education in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Education in Religious Studies
- Bachelor of Education in Religious Studies and Music
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.)
- Master of Arts in Child Development
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministries
- Master of Arts in Communication (Media Studies, Corporate Communication, or Development Communication)
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) (Strategic Management, Human Resources
- Management, Finance or Marketing).
- Master of Theology in African Christianity (day classes)
- Ph.D. in Communication
- Postgraduate Diploma in Child Development
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) offered during April, August and December school holidays.
Daystar University Schools
We understand that for academic success to be achieved, accompanying infrastructure has to be present. That’s why at Daystar University, we continue to develop high-class learning facilities that enable our students to achieve success within the best available environment. These learning facilities that include a well-stocked library, several state-of-the-art computer laboratories, and communication studios, enable students to develop practical skills as they undertake practical lessons and exercises.
Arts & Humanities
The School runs programs in Daystar Athi River and Nairobi campuses and offers a range of courses such as Theology both at the Undergraduate and Postgraduate level, Biblical Studies, Peace and Conflict Transformation, Bachelor of Education, B. Ed in Early Childhood, and Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
The courses in Education are offered both during the semester and the School holidays for the School-Based Programmes. The school is committed to nurturing moral integrity, excellence, and creativity among the youth, which are critical to the growth and survival of any nation. SAA is the heart of the University as it offers courses that focus on shaping the character of our students, preparing them to tackle vices like immorality and lack of integrity that have crippled many nations especially in Africa
Business & Economics
Objectives of the School
- To enable the student to acquire advanced knowledge in different management disciplines.
- To equip the student with the knowledge and skills needed for playing an effective role in the running of organizations.
- To enable the student to learn to obtain the knowledge needed to keep for the ever-changing global environment.
- To provide the student with an opportunity to learn to be a creative and innovative manager.
- To enable the student to adopt Christian values and ethics that will help in building a just society within organizations and without.
- To enable the student to learn to be a socially responsive manager who has a desire to respond positively to the social, economic and environmental problems affecting the society.
Communication, Language & Performing Arts
Today’s graduate of SCLPA shares the same foundation that has distinguished us over the years and seen our alumni excel into prominence with careers in advertising and public relations, print and electronic journalism, as well as teaching and performance in music, theatre, and writing.
It is our practice to bridge the gap between theory and practice in training. SCLPA marries a hands-on approach to education together with an understanding of the background that has informed the practice. This is only possible because of the talented and skilled faculty in our schools and the support structure we have put in place.
The Department of Communication ranks as the largest and most comprehensive school of communications in the region. Only two years ago, the department was recognized by UNESCO as a Center of Reference for studies in journalism and our students have won numerous awards over the years. But it is not these achievements that distinguish us as a school. We boast one of the most qualified teams in our field in the country. We do not only hold annual conferences to keep our faculty on the cutting edge of discourses in our discipline but our faculty participate in the most significant conferences in our field besides publishing in some of the distinguished journals in their areas.
The Department of Language and Performing Arts provides studies in English, Kiswahili, French, and Music to prepare both teachers and performers. The Department is also in charge of writing courses in the entire university in order to promote excellence in academic writing. To achieve this goal, it has partnered with the Department of Communication in running the Writing and Speech Center, where students can get help and practice with the writing and public speech from fellow students specially trained by the departments. I would like to invite you to come visit us through our website or physically at our Valley Road or Athi River campus. And if you are exploring opportunities for studies in our field, we would invite you to come and visit us first before you make up your mind.
Human & Social Sciences
Similarly, we seek to acknowledge cultural diversity, integration of faith and learning, truth and justice, credence in promotion of intellectualism and Scholarly discourse. In the School of Human and Social Sciences, we exist to build, shape, model and mentor humankind, and to this end we subscribe with humility.
PROFESSIONALISM IN NOVELTY, QUALITY, AND INTEGRITY
The School of Human and Social Sciences (SHSS) concerns itself with issues ranging from human to social development, corporate world to social institutions, interpersonal to community relationships and pathological to maladjustment among others.
The existence of the School of Human and Social Sciences is necessitated by the reality that mental and community health in Africa and the rest of the world have been undergoing dynamic changes and for the most part in none reversible ways. The days of consultation of community counselors and workers within the African cultural setting appear to be diminishing at unredeemable speed. Furthermore, the social fabric in the African continent has gone through a metamorphosis. In Kenya specifically, from the prison doors to the Cathedral gates and from the humblest family setting to the golden gates of the aristocrats, the outcry for psychological and social services is irresistible. In line with Daystar’s Vision and Mission, the School of Human and Social Sciences trains Christian servant-leaders who are competent professionals, researchers, and scholars for the African continent and beyond. Graduates trained in the Schoolwork for Government, private, Para-church organizations, Churches, hospitals, nongovernmental organizations and institutions of learning.
School’s Academic Objectives
- Use a participatory approach to bring linkage between the School community and the clientele
- Develop Christian servant leaders and professionals with up-to-date knowledge and effective skills for driving positive change in contemporary organizations and communities
- Maintain novelty in developing quality, unique, relevant and market-driven programs Improve student satisfaction through setting in place the advisory system, counseling and conducting student satisfaction surveys
- Encourage innovation, research, publication, and consultancy among faculty
- Equip students with a commitment to lifelong learning, moral living, critical thinking, and personal growth
- Encourage and promote academic and professional faculty development and training
- Establish mechanisms for keeping track of alumni Use performance contracting system to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of implementation and success
Science, Engineering & Health
We hope to contribute to the eradication of extreme poverty and hunger, reduce child mortality, and ensure environmental sustainability as spelled out in the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by offering a range of programs in Nursing, Environmental Health, Information Technology, and Actuarial Science among others. In so doing, we will be contributing to the Government of Kenya’s Vision 2030 which aims at making Kenya an industrialized, middle-income country with a high quality of life by the year 2030.
Our programs are tailored to provide holistic learning and a Christ-centred approach and contribute to the achievement of the vision and mission of Daystar University.
Daystar University has provided state-of-art laboratories and library resources that will be used for teaching and research. In recognition of the fact that research is a prerequisite for economic development, the School is focused on undertaking research projects with an emphasis on community engagement and development of new products. Our qualified faculty and staff are ready to offer a high-quality education that will produce an all-round graduate for the 21st century. We invite you to be part of this endeavor. God bless you.
Daystar University Campuses
Daystar University was first housed at the Nairobi Campus. This campus is located approximately two kilometers from the City Center, at the corner of Ngong Road and Valley Roads. It is a few minutes’ walk from Hurlingham shopping Center, the Kenyatta National Hospital and Nairobi Hospital. It also neighbors Nairobi Baptist Church and is easily accessible by public and private means. The campus hosts the diploma programs, day and evening undergraduate programs, Master’s programs in Communication, Counseling Psychology, Theology, Economics, Monitoring and Evaluation, Child Development and Business, and Ph.D. in Communication and Clinical Psychology. At this campus, the university also offers short courses in various areas including communication, community development, business, and Christian ministries.
Athi River Campus
Most of the Daystar undergraduates take their classes at this campus. The student population is over 2,000 students. The campus, which is on a 300-acre piece of land, is connected to the main Mombasa Road by a 5-kilometer all-weather murram road. The campus water supply comes from the EPZ and the Nol Turesh water pipelines and is supplemented by two boreholes.
Daystar University Contacts
Daystar University – Athi River Campus
Address: P.O Box 17 – 90145
Daystar University, Kenya
Telephone: 045 6622601/2/3
Mobile Phone Number:0724 256408/9 0735 992991/3
Daystar University – Nairobi Campus
Address: P.O Box 44400-00100
Telephone: 020 2723003/4
Mobile Phone Number: 0724 256408/9 0735 992991/3
Daystar University – Mombasa Campus
Tom Mboya Road, Tudor
P.O. Box 99483 – 80107,
Kilindini Mombasa, Kenya
Telephone: 041 2495512/3/4
Mobile Phone Number: 0736697418, 071506980