Churches in Kenya
There are more than 4,000 registered churches in Kenya, belonging to an innumerable variety of religious denominations. They can range from very mainstream churches to lesser-known evangelical and gospel offshoots.
Churches in Kenya are predominately Christian, though many different denominations and congregations exist within the population. Overall, more than three-quarters of the population identify themselves as Christian (either Protestant or Roman Catholic). However, many Kenyans mix their Christian beliefs with traditional beliefs (such as belief in witchcraft).
Most of the well-established churches in Kenya have their roots in early missionary work when Europeans first took an interest in the area and they saw an opportunity to preach to a wide new audience.
Church registration services in Kenya
Churches, ministries and religious-based organizations are registered under the Societies Act in Kenya
Requirements for church registration in Kenya
- Names of the officials in full. Chairman, Secretary, and treasures. Assistant officials where applicable.
- Addresses of each official.
- Proposed Physical address of the Church. Plot number, road, town, and county.
- Copies of the ID, PIN and Passport photo of the officials.
- Qualifications for at least one of the officials.
How to register a church in Kenya
- Search for requested Name:- To establish that there is no similar organization already registered or pending registration.
- Drafting and Filing of the constitution:- The constitution of the organization is drafted in accordance with a sample draft provided under the Act.
- Filing the prescribed Forms:- The forms prescribed for registration of a Church are Society Form A and Society Form B.
- Registration:- Registration is filled when all the above are processed.
List of Churches in Kenya
Mainstream Churches in Kenya:-
- Roman Catholics Church
- Anglican Church
- Full Gospel Churches
- Presbyterian Church of East Africa
- Africa Inland Church
- Methodist Church
- Baptist Church
Lately, however, Kenya has witnessed the mushrooming of what are referred to as Pentecostal churches. In Nairobi, the most popular ones include
Churches in Kenya – Pentecostal Churches in Nairobi
- Nairobi Pentecostal Church
- Nairobi Lighthouse Church
- Redeemed Gospel Church
- Deliverance Church
- Jesus is Alive Ministries
- Jubilee Christian Centre
Besides these denominations, there are numerous others with a significant presence in Kenya.
Churches in Kenya (2009 census)
- Catholic Population – 9,010,684
- Protestant Population – 18,307,466
- Other Christian Population – 4.559,584
- Muslim Population – 4,304,798
- Hindu Population – 53,393
- Traditionalist Population – 635,352
- Other Religion Population– 557,450
- No Religion Population – 922,128
- Don’t Know – 61,233
Churches in Kenya
A comprehensive list of all churches in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the welfare associations in Kenya websites.
List of ACK churches in Kenya
A comprehensive list of all ACK Churches in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the welfare associations in Kenya websites.
List of Catholic churches in Kenya
A comprehensive list of all catholic churches in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the welfare associations in Kenya websites.