KRA iTax Kenya: How to File 2018 Income Tax Returns on KRA iTax Portal
With the June 30 deadline for filing returns fast approaching, Kenyans are rushing to ensure that they beat the deadline for filing the returns.
The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) requires all citizens with a KRA Personal Identification Number (PIN) to file their returns, including those who earn below the taxable amount – that is, a Nil Return.
In April 2018 the taxman introduced new rules governing the filing of Nil Returns in order to reduce cases of tax evaders who file Nil Returns.
The new rules require Nil Return filers to explicitly declare that they do not have any other source of income through the online iTax platform.
For those within the income tax bracket can quickly and easily file their returns on the iTax portal by following the steps outlined below.
- On the KRA website, select the iTax button and proceed to enter both your KRA PIN and the password that was provided when you registered with KRA, in case you have never changed the password. Answer the simple Mathematics sum right under the Password box and click on “Log in”.
- Once on the portal, locate the “Returns” tab or click on the “e-Return” icon on the “e-Returns” pop-up on the home page.
- Under the “Tax Obligation” box, proceed to select the “Income Tax- Resident Individual” option and click on “Next”.
- You will then be required to download an excel sheet titled “IT1 Resident Individual Form”. This is the form that you will edit and later upload when fully completed.
- Upon due completion of the form, updating the “Period From” and “Period To” fields and click on the button to agree to the terms then submit the return. The portal will either generate a receipt for the received returns or an error message in case of unsuccessful submission.
Step By Step Guide on How to fill KRA iTax Returns forms Online
- Visit the KRA iTax online portal website at https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
- At the KRA iTax portal login page enter your KRA Pin number, password and the answer to security question
- Click on ‘e-Returns’ or hover on ‘Returns’ on the navigation bar and click on ‘File Returns’
- Select the type, Enter your taxpayer’s PIN and select the Tax obligation applicable to you before clicking on ‘Next’
- The next page will walk you through the filling process. Basically, you just need to click on the links provided to either download the Tax Returs form in Excel or ODS
- Fill out all the applicable areas in the downloaded tax returns form and save your document in your computer.
- You need to enable macros to be able to ‘Validate’ and Zip your File.
- Return to the page and select the period for which you are filling the returns, upload the zipped filled out iTax Returns form, agree to the terms and select ‘Submit’.
- When asked whether you would like to upload the file, click on ‘OK’
How to file your Individual Tax Returns (Employment Income Tax)
Click here to access the guide: Step By Step Guide For Filing Of Income Tax Individual Return-Employment Income Only
How to File NIL VAT/PAYE Returns using KRA website
- Visit https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal
- Enter PIN/User ID (KRA PIN), click Continue and type in your password and answer the security question to access your iTax profile.
- To File a KRA Nil Return, click on the Returns menu, select File Nil Return option
- Under Tax Obligation, select Value Added Tax – VAT or Income Tax PAYE from drop down menu.
- Enter the return period and click Submit
- An e-Return Acknowledgement receipt will be generated, Download the e-Return Acknowledge slip for your records
How to Pay for Presumptive Tax
- Go to the iTax portal and log into your iTax profile using your credentials: KRA PIN and Password.
- Select Payments Menu, Click Payment Registration.
- Select taxpayer or agent under applicant type as appropriate.
- Select Tax Head – Income Tax, Tax Sub Head – Presumptive Tax and Payment Type will populate as Self-Assessment Tax
- Select Payment Registration and capture all the relevant Presumptive Tax details and click the add button.
- Select the Mode of Payment. You can pay through KRA Mpesa Pay Bill Number 572572 or any partner bank.
- Submit and click on the link to download the Payment Slip.
KRA iTax form download
You can download these forms from this link
- T.CC 1 – Tax Compliance Certificate Application Form
- Application Form for Amnesty for Citizens in Diaspora
- I.T.1 – Individual Income Tax Returns
- I.T.1 – Non-Resident Individual Returns
- I.T.2C – December Cases Returns
- I.T.2P – Partnership Returns
- List of PAYE Forms Used by Employers
- User Guide for Filing Individual Returns Online.
Advantages of KRA iTax System
Some of the advantages of iTax includes.
- Access to the taxpayer ledger. including access by employees on their PAYE deductions . . .
- Real time update of the taxpayers ledger upon filing of returns and making payment . . .
- iTax is accessible at the comfort of the taxpayer, i.e. office or home. . . .
- Numerous payment channels – more Banks are being recruited to make payment of Domestic Taxes more convenient. . . .
- Simpler domestic tax return filing . the returns are based on the excel format. . . .
- Time saving. a.Reduced queuing at the banking hall . b. Swift application c. processing of tax related services e.g Tax Compliance Certificates, Refunds, Amendments, waivers, tax exemptions etc . . .
- Reduction of Refunds backlog by allowing taxpayers to utilise approved refunds to offset other tax liabilities. . . .
- Communication via e-mail and SMS notifications upon completion of transactions . . .
- Electronic generation of certificates, i.e. PIN, Withholding Tax certificates, Exemption Certificates etc. . . .
- iTax returns are excel based and therefore is easy to use. Excel also accommodates several hundred thousand columns and rows of data . .
- xi.Inconvenience caused to taxpayers through Request for records by KRA officers will be greatly reduced.
Kra Website – KRA iTax Portal
KRA iTax Portal, a web-enabled tax collection system, has simplified the tax processes, shortening time taken to file returns and increase revenue collection. https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
KRA iTax Portal services
- PIN Checker – To verify PIN, Click Here
- TCC Checker – To verify your Tax compliance Certificate,Click Here
- WHT Checker – To verify a Withholding Certificate,Click Here
- Status Checker
To consult status of your applications,Click Here
- Agent Checker
To verify Witholding Agent,Click Here
- Serial Number Checker
To verify Middleware Serial Number,Click Here
- Invoice Number Checker
To verify Middleware Invoice Number,Click Here
Other KRA Website Online Services
KRA iTax App
Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) introduces the iTax Mobile App; a software application designed to run on the Android platform to enable ease of access to tax services leveraging on the fast growing mobile industry in Kenya. The mobile app in its first phase will enable you facilitate any of the following tax transactions:
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.
- Filing of NIL returns for all tax obligations: VAT, Pay as You Earn (PAYE), Income Tax Company (IT2C), Income Tax Partnership (IT2P), Income Tax Individual (IT1), Monthly Rental Income (MRI) return, Turnover Tax and Excise return.
- Payment registration for Monthly Rental Income (MRI) return. The generated payment registration number (PRN) may be used to facilitate tax payments in any of the agent commercial banks in Kenya or via mobile service providers (M-Pesa, Airtel).
Kenya Revenue Authority – KRA Contacts
Times Tower Haile Selassie Avenue
Postal Address: P.O.BOX 48240 – 00100 GPO Nairobi
Tel: 020-310900, 020-2810000
KRA Call Centre
Tel: +254 (020) 4999 999
Cell: +254 (0711) 099 999
Email: [email protected]