Joyce Akai Emanikor Biography
Joyce Akai Emanikor was born on 1962. She is a Kenyan Politician who belongs to United Republican Party (URP) and she is the Women Representative for Turkana County.
Joyce Akai Emanikor is Turkana County’s Woman Member of the Kenya National Assembly.
Joyce Emanikor was the former Kerio Valley Development Authority (KVDA) chairperson, the first woman to hold the position and the Emergency Education consultant for UNICEF.
Joyce is a PhD candidate at Moi University and holds a MA in Development Studies from the University of Manchester, UK and a BA (First Class Honours) from Daystar University, Kenya.
She is credited with translating The Bible into Turkana language and starting mobile schools in Turkana.
Key Areas of Interest and Experience
- Social Policy Analysis and Action
- Environment and sustainable development
- Poverty and Livelihoods Analysis
- Peace and Reconciliation
- Gender and Development
- Programme Management and Strategy
- Capacity Building for Empowerment
Currently undertaking a PhD in Environmental Studies, University of Eldoret, Kenya.
MA in Development Studies,
Institute of Development and Policy Management (IDPM),
School of Environment and Development,
University of Manchester, UK.
Bachelor of Arts (First Class Honours):
Community development (Major),
Peace and Reconciliation (Minor),
Daystar University Nairobi (2001)
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education
Kenya Junior Secondary Certificate
Kenya Certificate of Primary Education
Reviewing and writing various articles/essays
- How NGOs can work with the state to address development: with reference to Oxfam GB
– Kenya Programme and its approaches to address the Millennium Development Goals.
- A critical analysis and evaluation of the importance of thinking in terms of ‘chronic poverty’, with reference to both Poverty analysis and Policy.
- A Review of the article “Post-colonialism, feminism and development: Intersections and dilemmas” by Cheryl McEwan (2001: 93-111).
- Development is a neo-colonial project that reinforces structures of local and global inequality and maintains the domination of the South by the North.
- Aid is redundant for addressing poverty.
- Use of Q-squared research methods in assessing Destitution – with reference to the Wollo (Ethiopia) case study.
- Is Migration more important than industrialization as a means of development in the poorest countries?
- Introduction of market principles of water resources management in addressing water problems in the developing world: A critical examination of the strengths and limitations.
- MA Dissertation: The Dynamics of Poverty among the Turkana Pastoralists. (This dissertation based its analysis of poverty on the Livelihoods approach of conceptualising destitution and DFID’s sustainable Livelihoods Framework).
- An article on Ethnicity in Kenya, published by The Kenya National cohesion and Integration commission (NCIC), 2011.
Notable Achievements /Awards
- Awarded the Head of State commendation (HSC) in December 2011 for outstanding contribution to development in Turkana.
- Spearheaded the formation of ‘Turkana Education For All (TEFA)’, a consortium of all education actors whose
- vision is to see Turkana as an empowered people free from the indignity of illiteracy and poverty.
- Established and strengthened Mobile schools in Turkana County.
- Advocacy for girl child education in Turkana.
- Championing support for vulnerable and disadvantaged groups in Turkana (Women living with HIV and AIDS, the urban poor and destitute children).
- Represented Turkana women in Beijing’95 (resulting in 3 and 4 above).
- Translated the Bible into the Turkana Language
Current Membership In Professional Societies and Public Bodies
- Member, Kenya Women Parliamentarians Association (KEWOPA)
- Member and Co-chair of Parliamentary Conservation Caucus – Kenya Chapter.
- Member, Parliamentary Committee on Environment and Natural Resources
- Member, House Business Committee, Kenya National Assembly
- Ford Foundation (IFP) Fellow
- Member, Pastoralists Women Legislators Caucus, Kenya National Assembly
- Member, Turkana County Leaders Summit
- Member, Turkana Professionals’ Association.
- Member, Turkana Women Advocacy and Development Organization.
MP, (Woman Representative), Turkana County – to the Kenya National Assembly
Emergency Education Consultant, United Nations Children’s Fund, Kenya Country Office.
Chairperson, Kerio Valley Development Authority for a 3-year term.
Education Programme Officer, Oxfam, Kenya Programme.
Project Officer, Turkana Integrated Programme, Oxfam.
Development Consultant, Appropriate Development Consultants Ltd (ADCL).
Translator, Turkana Bible translation project, Bible Society of Kenya (BSK)
Assistant primary school Inspector, Teachers Service Commission, Kenya.