Patrick Wahome Gakuru Dead
Governor Wahome Gakuru dies after a serious road crash
Nyeri Governor Wahome Gakuru is dead. Dr Wahome Gakuru passed on on Tuesday morning following a serious road crash at Kabati along the Thika-Sagana highway in Murang’a County.
He was rushed to Thika Level 5 Hospital for emergency treatment but succumbed to his injuries on arrival.
Council of Governors was in the process of airlifting Wahome Gakuru from Thika Level 5 Hospital to Nairobi Hospital. Governor Wahome has been taken to Lee funeral home as the other two are admitted to hospital.
The former Vision 2030 director garnered 280,037 votes against Samuel Wamathai’s 85,316 to take the seat he missed in 2013. The governor’s technocrat background had put him in good stead to deal with a range of issues in his in-tray, having taken over a government that for the better part of the past five years was almost dysfunctional owing to incessant wrangles between the executive and members of the county assembly (MCAs).
Nyeri residents looked up to Gakuru, after a harsh critic of the outgoing administration, for solutions, especially in spurring development and changing the fortunes of the ailing coffee and tea sectors in the county.
Governor Wahome Gakuru involved in serious road crash
Nyeri Governor Wahome Gakuru was Tuesday morning seriously injured in a road crash at Kabati along the Thika-Sagana highway.
Dr Gakuru was taken to Thika Level 5 Hospital for emergency treatment.
The governor was heading to Nairobi to attend a talk show accompanied by his bodyguard and driver when the vehicle he was travelling in veered off the road and hit a rail guard.
Photos of the wreckage of the Mercedes Benz at the scene of the crash was doing rounds on social media platforms following the unfortunate incident.
Nyeri deputy governor Mutahi Kahiga confirmed the crash reassuring Kenyans that the governor was in a stable condition at the hospital where he was rushed.
He said that he was not aware about the condition of the governor’s body guard and driver as he had not arrived at the hospital.
The governor, he said, will be airlifted to Nairobi Hospital for further treatment.
“We are working with the Council of Governors to have the governor airlifted to Nairobi Hospital. I have not arrived at Thika Level 5 Hospital to give more details on their condition,” he said.
How Dr. Wahome Gakuru spent his last Days
Barely 24 hours before he met his sudden death in a grisly road accident, Nyeri Governor Wahome Gakuru spent time with his son who is a candidate for this year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exam.
Dr. Gakuru hosted Alliance Boys High School KCSE candidates including his son, at his Runda Residence in Nairobi on Monday to encourage them as they sit their final exams.
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys
4. 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
7. 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
8. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
Gakuru said a prayer for the candidates and wished them the best in their national exams.
“Together with All Candidates Countrywide, I tender best wishes from myself and also on behalf of County Government of Nyeri. May our dear Lord guide you through during this period,” the late Governor posted his message and images on Facebook.
On Sunday (November 5) he attended a Church service at PCEA Gathehu in Magutu Ward, Mathira where he also prayed for the candidates.
On Friday (November 3), Wahome Gakuru held a consultative meeting with Central Kenya, Nairobi and Isiolo Governors in Nanyuki, Laikipia, on the region’s economic progress and social advancement.
He was working on a plan to engage the national government to see the extension of the Standard Gauge Railway up to Nanyuki via Murang’a and Nyeri.
“This will open up our economic base as well as ease transport. This we trust will happen soon,” an optimistic Gakuru assured.
Wahome Gakuru after a consultative meeting with Central Kenya, Nairobi and Isiolo Governors in Nanyuki, Laikipia, on the region’s economic progress and social advancement.
Five things to Know about Governor Wahome Gakuru.
- He had a PhD in Public Policy and Administration from Arizona State University.
- He was a lecturer at the School of Business, University of Nairobi since 1994 where he taught to the PhD Level.
- He served as a director in Vision 2030 secretariat after previous stints at Equity Bank and National Aids Control Council.
- He was married to Catherine Wahome and they had three sons
- He joined active politics in 2013 when he vied for the gubernatorial seat, but lost to the late Nderitu Gachagua.
Dr Wahome Gakuru: The soft-spoken but firm economist
Though he spoke in undertones, the late Nyeri Governor Wahome Gakuru was a tough-talking man.
After the reign of the late Nderitu Gachagua, a brash governor, Dr Gakuru promised a different kind of leadership.
And he did— mostly projecting an image of a soft-spoken but resilient man.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Family
A day before his death, he had spent the morning with one of his three sons, who is a candidate at Alliance Boys High School.
Every time he took the mic to address the locals, he would start off with “Nii nio Governor Wanyu Dagitari Wahome wa Gakuru” (Its me your governor Dr Wahome Gakuru)
During his swearing-in, he discouraged leaders and locals from calling him “His excellency” until he proves he is worthy of the title.
“Do not refer to me as his excellency until I have fulfilled my promises. Once I have made your lives better you can call me that,” he said.
The PhD holder joined active politics in 2013 when he vied for the gubernatorial seat but lost to the late Nderitu Gachagua.
Gachagua lost his battle for life to pancreatic cancer on February 24 after he succumbed at a London hospital.
Dr Gakuru ran on The National Alliance Party ticket managed 126,776 against Gachagua’s 137,469 votes.
The economist facing only two opponents was the man to beat in the August 8 General Election.
He garnered 242,000 votes against his competitors— former Deputy Governor Samuel Wamathai and Democratic Party candidate Patrick Munene— who garnered 76,055 and 17,008 votes, respectively.
Dr Gakuru had promised to develop Nyeri at a faster pace following years of slow development.
Nyeri’s development has been on the decline since 2014, reports by the Controller of Budget shows.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Family Cabinet
According to the reports, Nyeri ranked among the bottom five in the last three consecutive financial years in terms of money spent on developmen.
“We are tired of lagging behind and we need to move on,” he told the Nation in an earlier interview.
“I promise to turn things around by constituting a new Cabinet with competent and honest executives.”
He had promised to run a transparent and accountable government.
“Transparency and accountability are key pillars of our national and public service values and principles. We will institutionalise accountability structures throughout the entire county public service,” he said.
He reassured residents of reviving the health sector, which he had described as “rotten”.
“The county and is currently in the intensive care unit trailing in development. We will fix it.”
But the crash at Kabati robbed him of a chance to fix it.
Source: Daily Nation
Patrick Wahome Gakuru Biography
Patrick Wahome Gakuru is a Kenyan politician from Nyeri County. He was the governor of Nyeri county after winning in the 2017 general election beating his opponent with a big margin of votes. Dr Wahome Gakuru died on
Patrick Wahome Gakuru Education Background
His education qualifications include: PhD from Arizona State University, USA, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Willamette University, USA majoring in strategy, another MBA from the University of Nairobi, Kenya majoring in marketing and a Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) from University of Nairobi.
Patrick Wahome Gakuru Career
He was a lecturer at the School of Business, University of Nairobi since 1994 where he taught to the PhD Level. Wahome also has vast consultancy experience, including presenting papers in international conferences, on Strategy, Public Policy, and National Competitiveness in Africa and beyond.
Patrick Wahome Gakuru Politics
He was a member of The National Alliance Party since 2013 before moving on to the Jubilee Alliance later same year. He was a governor aspirant in the 2013 general election where he lost to the late Nderitu Gachagua. In his second trial in the 2017 general election he won the election with a great margin tobecome the new governor of Nyeri County.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Wife.
Details about Dr. Wahome Gakuru’s wife will be updated soon.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru CV
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Curriculum Vitae
Name: Dr. Wahome Gakuru (PhD- Arizona State)
254-020-342082 (o) -310431- Ext: 113
254-020-2725538 (H) 254-722-449113 (c)
Profession/Designation: Director, SS- National Economic and Social Council, Kenya and Lecturer in Management at School of Business
Date of Birth: 1966
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Membership to Professional Organizations and Honor Societies:
- Affiliate Faculty- Harvard Business School Institute of Competitiveness and Strategy
- America Society for Public Administration
- American Marketing Association (2001)
- Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society (Public Admin.)- Willamette Chapter, USA
- Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society (Public Admin.)- ASU Chapter, USA
- Beta Sigma Honor Society (Business Mgt.)- USA
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Special Awards:
- Fulbright Scholarship Grantee (2000-2002)- USA
- National Deans Honor List (2001)- USA
- Best Doctoral Paper Award (2002)- Arizona State University
- DAAD/University of Nairobi Post Graduate Scholarship (1991-1993)- Kenya
- Most Supportive Lecturer – Marketing Student Association (UON)
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Education:
|Postgraduate||Public Admin & Policy
|Arizona State, USA||Ph D||4.0 (A)||2001 to 2004|
Bus, NGO & Govt.
|Willamette, USA||Masters||3.93 (A)||2000 to 2001|
|U of Nairobi, Kenya||MBA||Honors||1991 to 1993|
|U of Nairobi, Kenya||B. Com||Honors||1988 to 1991|
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Professional Qualifications:
Gakuru has completed Part II out of III of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examinations with Kenya Accountants & Secretaries National Examination Board.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Employment Record:
|Professional Work||Name of
|Directorship||National Economic and Social Council- Office of the President, Kenya||P.O. Box, 62345-00200
|Director in charge of the Kenya Vision 2030 Project as well as the social sector (health, education, employment etc). NESC is the top policy think tank to the Government of Kenya (2006- )|
|Senior Management||National AIDS Control Council, Kenya||P.O. Box 61307-00200
|Head, Policy & Strategy Development (2005-2006)|
|Senior Management||Student Welfare Authority, UON, Kenya||P. O. Box 30197
|Strategic Mgt. Unit Manager (1998-2000)|
|Lecturing, Research and Careers Coordination||University of Nairobi
School of Business, Kenya
|P.O. Box 30197
|Management Lecturer at the PhD, MBA and Undergraduate levels (1994 to date)|
|Lecturing and Research Associate||Arizona State University
School of Public Affairs
|P.O. Box 870603, Tempe, AZ.
|Teaching Public Management and Policy and Research Associate to the Director of the School (2002-2003)|
|Lecturing||Strathmore University, Kenya (collaborates with IESE and Harvard)||P.O. Box, 59857- 00200, Nairobi, Kenya||Adjunct Senior lecturer in Strategic Mgt, Research Methods (1993- to date)|
|Health Mgt/ Policy Consultancy||Centre for African Family Studies (Deals with Health)||P.O. Box 60054
|Associate Consultant (2003-2005)|
|Strategic Management Consulting||Various Mgt. Consultancy Firms||Various (as detailed below)||Management Consultant on diverse mgt issues in both public and private sectors as detailed below|
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Language Proficiency:
Dr. Wahome Gakuru PhD Supervision
Gakuru is currently supervising several PhD students in Strategic Management at the School of Business, University of Nairobi. The dissertation topics include:
- The Influence of top management teams on organization performance. This study will investigate the relationship between the quality of top leaders and organizational performance of firms listed in the Nairobi Stock Exchange, Kenya.
- Strategic management in the public sector in Kenya: A study of the co-alignment model. The study will investigate how public sector corporations respond to change through strategic alignment.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Publications and Conference Papers:
Chapman, J., Gakuru, P. W., and de Klerk, G. 2003. Local fiscal stress in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Kenyan example. International Journal of Public Administration, 26 (13), 1519-1550.
Gakuru, P. W. 2004. Financing healthcare in Kenya: Alternatives for policymakers. Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA).
Gakuru, P. W. 2004. HIV testing in the 15-49 age bracket in Kenya: A test of the health belief model. PhD Dissertation, Arizona State University.
Gakuru, P. W. 2003. The role of theory in making HIV interventions to work. Paper presented during the Second National Congress on Health organized by the Ministry of Health- Kenya, November 2003.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Manuscripts:
Gakuru, P.W., and Karemu, C.K. 2005. Principles and practice of management: A Revision Kit. Manuscript submitted to a Publisher in Kenya.
Gakuru, P. W. 2006. Administrative responsibility and reforms: where is the citizen?
Paper submitted to the Results Based Management Conference.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Key Advisory/Consultancy Experience:
- Facilitator on the policymaking process in the Management of HIV/AIDS Intervention Programs for the Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS). The training brought together 40 project managers from several countries in Asia and sub Sahara Africa, November 2005.
- Temporary Advisor to UNAIDS in Fostering Country Ownership and Leadership: Implementation of the Three Ones Principle, Rio de Janeiro -Brazil, Sept, 2005.
- Temporary Advisor to UNAIDS 17th PCB Meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, June 2005.
- Part of Kenyan team in a research on Tracking HIV/AIDS Funds in Several Countries in Africa, Organized by IDASA in Cape Town, ongoing.
- Facilitator on Strategic Management issues for the EU Delegation to Kenya and Somalia, November 2004.
- Facilitator on the policymaking process in the Management of HIV/AIDS Intervention Programs for the Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS). The training brought together project managers from several countries in Asia and sub Sahara Africa, November 2004.
- Facilitator on Quality Management for the Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS), August 2004. The training was designed for Reproductive Health program managers from various nonprofit and public organizations in Asia and Africa.
- Consultant on Alternative Healthcare Financing Options in Kenya for Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA), July-August 2004. The assignment involved preparing and submitting a paper on healthcare financing in Kenya to a symposium of various stakeholders.
- Technical Team Leader in the development of strategic plans for a cluster of Kenyan government ministries and departments, 2003-2004. This assignment seeks to initiate performance management systems in government.
- Facilitator on effective board management in public corporations. The training organized for the board of directors of Regional Development Authorities by the Ministry of Regional Development, March, 2004
- Technical team leader/facilitator in the development of strategic plan for TARDA- a regional development Agency in Kenya, March 2004.
- Consultant/facilitator on Quality Management for Senior Staff of the Postal Corporation of Kenya, February 2004.
- Facilitator to the National Health Insurance Fund’s (NHIF) symposium on the challenges in financing healthcare for the poor, December 2003.
- Presented a paper on the role of theory in making HIV interventions to work during the Second National Congress on Health organized by the Ministry of Health- Kenya, November 2003.
- Consultant and facilitator to the Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS) on Reward management and motivation, November 2003. The training was designed for Reproductive Health program managers from various nonprofit and public organizations in Asia and Africa.
- Consultant in the development of a curriculum for the management of HIV prevention interventions for the Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS), August- September 2003.
- Consultant and facilitator to the Centre for the Development of Enterprise (CDE) on marketing and the creation of the regional association of dairy stakeholders, EU- funded, June 2003.
- Conducted a study on the local fiscal stress in developing countries: the Kenyan example for an article in the September 2003 issue of the International Journal of Public Administration, June-August 2002.
- Conducted senior management skills training for senior regional military officers (EA) for the Department of Defense, 1998.
- Facilitator of managerial skills development training for the Kenya Power Lighting Company and Kenya Power Generating Company, various periods between 1997-1998.
- Facilitator in change management and skills development training for the Kenya Commission of Jurists, 1997-1998.
- Consultant with a local consultancy firm on the Post-Launch survey of the East African Newspaper for the Nation Media group, 1997.
- Consultant with a local consultancy firm on a market survey for Unga Feeds (Livestock) Ltd., 1997.
- Facilitator in managerial skills development training for the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development, 1997.
- Consultant with a local consultancy firm on customer bank selection surveys for the Standard Chartered Bank, 1996.
- Consultant in the development of strategic plans for the Family Life Counseling Association of Kenya (FLACK), 1994.
Dr. Wahome Gakuru Certification:
I, the undersigned, certify that to the best of my knowledge and belief these data correctly describe me, my qualifications and experience.
Signature: ____________________________________ Date: October, 2006
(Dr. Wahome Gakuru)
Famous People in Kenya
- Ababu Namwamba
- Ahmednasir Abdullahi
- Alfred Mutua
- Amason Kingi
- Amina Mohamed
- Anita Nderu
- Anne Kiguta
- Anne Waiguru
- Babu Owino
- Bahati Gospel Artist
- Betty Kyalo
- Bob Collymore
- Camp Mulla
- Caroline Mutoko
- Catherine Kasavuli
- Charity Ngilu
- Charles Njonjo
- Chris Kirubi
- Churchill Dan Ndambuki
- Corazon Kwamboka
- Daddy Owen
- David Maraga
- David Mathenge: Nameless
- Darshan Chandaria
- David Owuor
- Dennis Itumbi
- Dennis Okari
- Dj Joe Mfalme
- Fred Matiangi
- Eric Omondi
- Eric Wainaina
- Esther Passaris
- Eunice Njeri
- Ferdinand Waititu
- Francis Kimemia
- Gideon Moi
- Grace Msalame
- Hassan Ali Joho
- Hussein Mohammed
- Jackson Mandago
- Charles Njagua Kanyi
- James Ongwae
- James Orengo
- Jane Muthoni
- Janet Mbugua
- Jeff Koinange
- Joey Muthengi
- John Mbadi
- Johnston Muthama
- Johnson Sakaja
- Jomo Gecaga
- Josphat Nanok
- Joy Doreen Biira
- Jua Cali
- Julie Gichuru
- Kalekye Mumo
- Kanze Dena
- Pastor, Rev Kathy Kiuna
- Kiraitu Murungi
- Kivutha Kibwana
- Kobi Kihara
- Larry Madowo
- Lee Kinyajui
- Lenny Kivuti
- Lilian Muli
- Loise Kim
- Lulu Hassan
- Maina Kageni
- Margaret Kenyatta
- Mark Masai
- Martin Wambora
- Mca Tricky
- MC Jessy
- Mercy Masika
- Miguna Miguna
- Mike Sonko
- Moipei Quartet
- Moses Kuria
- Moses Wetangula
- Musalia Mudavadi
- Mutahi Ngunyi
- Mwangi Kiunjuri
- Mwangi wa Iria
- Najib Balala
- Ngugi wa Thiong’o
- Njogu wa Njoroge
- Njoki Ndung’u
- Otile Brown
- Paul Mwai
- Plo Lumumba
- Anyang' Nyong'o
- Professor Hamo
- Raila Odinga
- Robert Alai
- Sabina Chege
- Sanaipei Tande
- Sarah Hassan
- Sauti Sol
- Shaffie Weru
- Sheila Mwanyigha
- Shiru Wa Gp
- Size 8
- Kalonzo Musyoka
- Swaleh Mdoe
- Talia Oyando
- Terryanne Chebet
- Tony Nyadundo
- Uhuru Kenyatta
- Kenyatta Children
- Kenyatta Family
- Vera Sidika
- Victoria Kimani
- Victoria Rubadiri
- Wafula Chebukati
- Wilberforce Musyoka
- William Ruto
- Willis Raburu
- Willy Paul
- Wycliffe Oparanya