Pete Townshend Biography
Pete Townshend is an English musician, singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. He is well known as the principal songwriter, lead guitarist and backing vocalist for the rock band The Who.
He studied at Acton County Grammar School, in 1961, he joined Ealing Art College to study graphic design, he studied with future Rolling Stones band guitarist, Ronnie Wood and Queen band lead singer, Freddie Mercury. In 1964, he dropped out of school to focus on music full-time.
Pete Townshend Age
He was born as Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend on 19 May 1945 in Chiswick, Middlesex, England. He celebrates his birthday on 19 May every year.
Pete Townshend Family
He is from a musical family, his father, Cliff Townshend, was a professional alto saxophonist in the Royal Air Force’s dance band The Squadronaires and his mother, Betty née Dennis, was a singer with the Sydney Torch and Les Douglass Orchestras. His maternal grandmother is Emma Dennis, whom he once lived with after the separation of his parents for two years before they again reunited. He has two younger brothers, Paul born in 1957 and Simon born in 1960.
Pete Townshend Wife
He met Karen Astley in art school, a daughter of film composer Edwin Astley. The couple tied their knot on 20 May 1968. They then moved to Twickenham in outer south-west London into a three-bedroom townhouse. The couple separated in 1994 and divorced in 2009. He is now married to Rachel Fuller, an arranger, and musician. The couple married in December 2016, after a long relationship of over twenty years.
Pete Townshend Children
From his first marriage with Karen Astley, he has three children; gardening columnist Emma, born in 1969, Aminta born in 1971, works in film production, and Joseph born in 1990, who studied graphic design at Central St. Martins.
Pete Townshend Body Measurements
- Height: 5′ 11¾” (1.82)
- Weight: 1.83 m
- Shoe Size: Not Available
- Body Shape: Not Available
- Hair Colour: White
Pete Townshend Net Worth
The award-winning musician, Townshend, has an estimated net worth of $115 million which he has earned through his successful career as a musician, singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist.
Pete Townshend The Who
He’s the Who’s leading songwriter, he’s written over 100 songs for the band’s 11 studio albums, including rock operas Tommy and Quadrophenia, and concept albums, along with popular rock radio classics including Who’s Next, and hundreds more that appeared as bonus tracks on reissues, non-album singles, and tracks on rare compilations including 1974’s Odds & Sods.
He has also recorded over 100 songs on his solo albums, as well as jingles on radio and theme songs on television. He plays piano, harmonica, banjo, accordion, synthesizer, mandolin, violin, ukulele, bass guitar, and drums on his own solo albums, on some Who records, and as a guest contributor to the line-ups of the recordings of other musicians. He teaches himself all the instruments.
He has also written and contributed to many newspaper and magazine articles, essays, plays, book reviews, and scripts, and has collaborated with many other musical acts as a lyricist and composer. His works with The Who and in other projects have gained him praise for speech because of his intense playing style and creative songwriting techniques. He was ranked No. 3 in Dave Marsh’s Best Guitarists list in The New Book of Rock Lists, No. 10 in the revised 2011 Rolling Stone magazine list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time and No. 10 in Gibson.com’s Top 50 Guitarists chart.
He won the Brit Award for Lifetime Achievement in 1983, was named to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Who in 1990, was given a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award as a member of the Who in 2001, and in 2008 was awarded Kennedy Center Honours. Both won the George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement at UCLA together with Daltrey on May 21, 2016.
Pete Townshend Songs
- Baba O’Riley
- Behind Blue Eyes
- Let My Love Open the Door
- Pinball Wizard
- Eminence Front
- Won’t Get Fooled Again
- Rough Boys
- Slit Skirts
- Magic Bus
- My Generation
- Give Blood
- A Little Is Enough
- I Can’t Explain
- White City Fighting
- I Can See for Miles
- Face the Face
- Who Are You
- My Wife
- Pure & Easy
- The Sea Refuses No River
- The Real Me
- Squeeze Box
- I’m One
- A Quick One While He’s Away
- Join Together
- Summertime Blues
- Happy Jack
- Let’s See Action
- Secondhand Love
- My Baby Gives It Away
Peter Townshend Albums
- Empty Glass
- All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes
- White City: A Novel
- Who Came First
- Rough Mix
- Deep End Live!
- The Iron Man: The Musical by Pete Townshend
- Live at Leeds
- Who Are You
- A Benefit for Maryville Academy
- Who’s Next
- Live: The Fillmore
- The Oceanic Concerts
- Live: Sadler’s Wells
- Live: The Empire
- The Genuine Scoop
- Parvardigar Prayer
- Pete Townshend Live BAM 1993
- Live: La Jolla Playhouse 2001
- I Am
- The Who Sell Out
- The Who by Numbers
- It’s Hard
- Lifehouse Chronicles
- Another Scoop
- Scoop 3
- Lifehouse Elements
- The Best of Pete Townshend
- Truancy: The Very Best of Pete Townshend
- The Definitive Collection
- Jai Baba
- O’ Parvardigar
- Greatest Hits
- Magic Bus: The Who on Tour
- Chimes of Freedom
Peter Townshend Book
- Horse’s Neck
- The Who Rock Score: Five Classic Songs by the Who, Scored for Small Groups, Complete with Lyrics
- Tommy: The Musical
- Who I Am
- Behind Blue Eyes: For a Minimum of Five Steel Drums, Drumset, and Optional Bass Guitar, Conductor Score & Parts
- Let My Love Open the Door: For a Minimum of Five Steel Drums, Drumset, and Optional Bass Guitar, Conductor Score &
- The Who
- Untitled Novel
Pete Townshend The Who Quotes
- The bad part about growing older is I’m going bald. The good part is my nose seems to be getting shorter.
- I felt that the elegance of pop music was that it was reflective: we were holding up a mirror to our audience and reflecting them philosophically and spiritually, rather than just reflecting society or something called ‘rock and roll.’
- I’ve learned a huge amount because I’ve been tested and, more importantly, I’ve been trusted.
- It’s an ordinary day for Brian. Like, he died every day, you know.
- Keith Moon is not interested in jazz and won’t ever be a jazz drummer because he’s more interested in looking good and being screamed at.
- When I grew up, what was interesting for me was that music was color and life was gray. So music for me has always been more than entertainment.
- In order to have faith, or follow any other organized religion, I’d have to suspend a degree of disbelief.
- I don’t view the fans in the way that most performers do. As a mass of people who have paid money, I know what they want. It’s a very, very, very, very, very low common denominator.
- If I told you what it takes to reach the highest high you’d laugh and say nothing that simple, but you’ve been told many times before messiah’s point you to the door though no one’s got the guts to leave the temple.
- Everything that I had done creatively related to two or three incidents that happened to me when I was a child that I’d forgotten. Everything, absolutely everything.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pete Townshend
Who is Townshend?
Townshend is an English musician, singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist.
How old is Townshend?
He is 74 years old as of 2019. He was born in 1945.
How tall is Townshend?
He stands at a height of 5′ 11¾”
Is Pete Townshend married?
He is married to Rachel Fuller.
How much is Pete Townshend worth?
He has an accomplished musician with an estimated net worth of $115 million.
How much does Pete Townshend make?
His salary is still under review.
Where does Pete Townshend live?
He is a resident of Richmond upon Thames, London, England, we shall upload pictures of his house as soon as we have them.
Is Pete Townshend dead or alive?
He is alive and in good health. There have been no reports of him being sick or having any health-related issues.
Where is Pete Townshend now?
He is pursuing his career in music.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.