AKA whose real name is Kiernan Jarryd Forbes was born on January 28, 1988 in Cape Town, South Africa. He is a south African hip hop recording artist and record producer.
AKA Music Career
In 2002, he was part of the rap group Entity that had a hit with “Touch N Go”. Entity were nominated in 2005 for “Best African Hip Hop” in the KORA Awards and performed during the event. He went on to study sound engineering before choosing to perform. “I decided that’s what I needed to do,” says the man dubbed the Prince of South African Rap.
As Entity disbanded in 2006, AKA went on to study sound engineering and later joined Buks and Kamza to form the production collective known as The I.V. League in 2007. His production credits include tracks by PRO, Tuks Senganga, Andile, Shugasmakx, Khuli Chana, Teargas, Psyfo, Jub Jub, Loyiso Bala, Bala Brothers, Jae, JR and Proverb.
In 2009 AKA ventured for a solo career with hits like “Mistakes”, “In My Walk” and “Do It” with the latter making it to number 1 on the South African 5FM Top 40. He won Metro FM Music Awards for “Best Newcomer”, “Best Hip Hop” as a solo act and “Best Produced Album” for his debut Altar Ego. It is then that he was dubbed “Prince of South African Rap” by one of the national newspapers. He also won “Best Dressed man” during the GQ Awards in South Africa alongside Oscar Pistorius.
In 2011 AKA’s song “Victory Lap” won Channel O’s Most Gifted Hip-Hop Video at the 7th annual Channel O Music Video Awards and at the 18th South African Music Awards AKA was awarded Male Artist of the Year and Best Street Urban Music Album. The rapper went on to say “Winning the awards has been a big honour and it is very humbling. The Male Artist of the Year award has made me see myself as a musician across all genres and not just a hip-hop artist,”.
AKA has opened for Kanye West, Snoop dogg, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Big Sean and Kendrick Lamar in their South African tours. He has won many awards including “Best Street Urban Music Album” and “Male Artist of the Year” at the 18th South African Music Awards (SAMA) South African equivalent to the Grammys.
In late 2014 rapper AKA signed a multi-album deal with Sony Music through its new local urban label Sound African recordings. Executive head of A&R for Sony, Zakes Bantwini made the announcement through their platform. ‘We’re excited to add AKA’s illustrious career to our stable. We are excited about AKA’s growth prospects in Africa and beyond.’ The Sony Music/AKA partnership is the key catalyst to change the business and face of Music across Africa, especially in the key areas of quality, distribution and content management’. In June 2015, AKA’s sophomore album Levels was certified Gold, by theRecording Industry of South Africa, for shipments of over 20,000 copies domestically.
In 2015, aka’s sophomore album Levels is available on a vinyl known as a gramophone record.
- 2016: Best Hit Single during 15th Metro FM Music Awards for the song ‘Baddest’
- 2016: Best Collaboration during 15th Metro FM Music Awards for the song ‘Baddest’
- 2015: Video of the year during the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards for the song Anatii.
- 2015: Song of the Year during the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards for the song Baddest and Anatii.
- 2015: Most Digital Sales during the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards.
- 2015: Most Valuable artist during the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards.
- 2015: Best Collaboration for the song ‘Anatii’ during the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards.
- 2014: Best Male Artist during 21st South African Music Awards for his song ‘Levels’.
- 2014: Best Collaboration during MTV Africa Music Awards
- 2014: Best Collaboration during African Muzik Magazine Awards.
- 2014: Best Male Southern Africa during African Muzik Magazine Awards.
- 2012: Best Male Artist during the 18th South African Music Awards for the song Altar Ego.
AKA Real Name
AKA’s real name is Kiernan Jarryd Forbes.
He was born on January 28, 1988 in Cape Town, South Africa.
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.
His girl friend is Bonang Matheba. They once did a break up stunt for him to push sales for a song he intended to release that week. He said he calculated the risk of such a stunt since it could have damaged Bonang’s Revlon contract, which is based on love.
AKA Rapper Net Worth – AKA Net Worth
He has an estimated net worth $12 million. This has been accumulated from his hip hop artist business, his recording business, singing, his brand authorisations, business deals, among others.
- Levels (2014)
- Be Careful What You Wish For (2017)
- Taking Chancez (2017)
- Altar Ego (2011)
- Down To Earth (2017)
- La maladie de la haine (2010)
- Attention Deficit (2018)
- And so It Begins (2011)
- Slave To The Sound (2004)
- Sex Hot (2018)
AKA Songs List
- Caiphus Song
- The world is ours
- All eyes on me
- Run Jozi
- Sim Dope
- Special Fi Mi
- One Time
- Badai Bulan Desember
- I Want it all
- Victory Lap
- All i know
- Crazy Joe
- Eyes on me remix
- Dunia Buram
- Do what you like
- Let me show you
- Darkest hour
- Rep your city
- Daddy issues
- Puber Kedua
- Skip Away
- Only One Man
AKA Instagram and Twitter
AKA Latest News: AKA praises Cassper Nyovest after recent diss
Source: The Citizen
AKA has apparently turned over a new leaf and has no time for petty feuds. After years of publicly feuding, AKA claims that he has no problems with anyone in the industry.
Much to everyone’s surprise, this also includes his nemesis Cassper Nyovest who last week threw shade at the rapper in a video on his Instagram account.
The Baddest hitmaker claims to have “grown up and matured”, and just wants to move forward from what happened in the past.
Cassper, who is currently overseas, opened up about his feud with AKA during a radio interview, explaining that he and AKA could not be friends.
AKA was alerted to the interview by one of his followers, but didn’t even pay any attention to it.
“Yo man. My life too blessed. His life too blessed. Let’s cut the bulls**t and move on. Right now I got no problems with nobody. Period. Let’s grow the f**k and bring everybody together once and for all,” he tweeted.
At the launch of his watermelon vodka late last week, AKA also spoke out about being in a better space and becoming more mature.
“I don’t know if you guys can recall but I used to be a bit of a loud mouth … erm … on social media. I wasn’t very mature. So at the time, there wasn’t many offers or options I have now,” he said.