David Makhura Biography
Manemolla David Makhura was born on 22nd February 1968 at Mara Buysdorp in Soutpansberg District of Limpopo province, near Mapungubwe World Heritage Site. He is a South African politician and the Premier of Gauteng.
Between 1984 and 2004, Makhura was involved in student and youth politics – Azanian Student Movement, Congress of South African Students, South African National Students’ Congress and the South African Youth Congress. He held various leadership positions, including the President of the SRC at Turfloop University (1990, 1992), National President of the South African Student Congress (1994-1996); ANC Youth League National Executive Committee member (1998-2004). Makhura was recruited to the ANC and SACP in 1986 and 1987, respectively.
Between 1997 and 2001, he was the National Education Secretary and subsequently the Deputy General Secretary of the National Education Health & Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU). He was also a member of COSATU’s Central Executive Committee and served in the Political Commission and Education Committee of the trade union federation during the same period.
Between 2001 and 2014, he served as the ANC Gauteng Provincial Secretary and member of the PEC and an ex-officio member of the National Executive Committee. He served in several sub-committees of the ANC National Executive Committee – Drafting, Political Education, Organising & Campaigns. He was the First Convener of the South African Communist Party National Youth Desk (predecessor to the Young Communist League of SA).
Overseeing policy implementation and governance was one of Makhura’s responsibilities as the ANC provincial secretary. This includes overseeing ANC Caucuses in the provincial legislature and municipalities.
Makhura played an important role in the introduction of a performance monitoring and evaluation system in the ANC Gauteng province and overseeing the performance of provincial and local government in the province, working closely with all the ANC mayors and three successive ANC premiers over a decade.
Premier Makhura has been part of several delegations of the ANC and NEHAWU that visited sister parties and trade unions in the African continent, China, Cuba, Latin America and Europe to exchange experiences on party-building, socio-economic development and governance.
David Makhura was elected Premier of Gauteng, South Africa’s most populous province and economic hub of the country, on 21st May 2014. At the 12th Provincial Conference of the ANC Gauteng in October 2014, Makhura was elected as the Deputy Chairperson of the province.
David Makhura Qualifications
He has a Master of Science, Public Policy and Management from the University of London. He is studying towards a Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) in Futures Studies (energy futures) at the University of Stellenbosch.
David Makhura Career
- 2014 – Present: Premier of Gauteng.
- Chairman of Mega Circle (Pty) Ltd.
- 2001 – 2004: Provincial Secretary, African National Congress
- 1998 – 2004: Member of the National Executive Committee, African National Congress Youth League.
- 1997 – 2001: Deputy General Secretary of National Health and Allied Workers’ Union.
- 1997 – 2001: National Education Secretary of National Health and Allied Workers’ Union.
- 1997 – 2007: Member of Central Executive Committee, Congress of South African Trade Unions.
- 1997 – 2007: Member of Political Commission and Education Committee, Congress of South African Trade Unions.
- 1994 – 1996: National President of South African Student Congress.
- 1990 – 1992: President of Student Representative Council, Turfloop University.
- 1990 – 1992: Chairman of Bantu Investment Holdings.
- 1990 – 1992: Ex-Officio Member of National Executive Committee
David Makhura Age
He was born on 22nd February 1968.
David Makhura Wife
He is married to Mpho Makhura and the couple have three children.
David Makhura Photo
David Makhura Contact Details
Premier: Mr David Makhura
Mail: Private Bag X61, Marshalltown, 2107
Street: Office of the Premier, East wing, 13th Floor, 30 Simmonds Street, Marshalltown, Johannesburg
Tel: (011) 355 6138
Fax: (011) 836 9334
David Makhura Latest News
David Makhura’s Latest News will be updated shortly.