Hanneli Rupert Biography
Hanneli Rupert is a South African entrepreneur and the founder and director of Okapi, a luxurious hand bag line. She is also the Creative Director and Buyer of Merchants on Long.
Hanneli Rupert Education Background
- 2004 – 2007: Bachelor of Arts in Painting from the Wimbledon School of Arts.
Okapi Luxurious Handbag Line
The bags are made entirely on the African continent from locally sourced materials. She discovered other brands were doing similar things, and she decided to open an entirely African concept store on the continent, hence Merchants on Long was born in Cape Town.
Okapi is named from an era during which Okapi was still thought to be a magical animal, “the African unicorn.” The brand encompasses elements of Art Nouveau, African mysticism and organic elements taking inspiration from nature and ritual.
Hanneli Rupert Career
- August 2008 – Present: Founder, CEO and Creative Director of Okapi.
- 2010 – Present: Creative Director and Buyer of Merchants on Long.
- February 2014 – Present: Young Global Leader at World Economic Forum.
- January 2009 – August 2011: DJ at 2oceansvibe Media.
- 2008 – 2011: Event Organiser at L’Ormarins Queens Plate.
- March 2008 – August 2008: Intern at Athens Biennale.
- January 2002: Art Therapy Assistant at Imibala.
Hanneli Rupert Family
She is the daughter of Johann Rupert, a South African tycoon and Gaynor Rupert. She is a sister to Anton Rupert Jr and Caroline Rupert.