Johann Rupert Biography
Johann Rupert (Johann Peter Rupert) was born on 1st June 1950 in Stellenbosch, South Africa. He is a South African business tycoon. He is the chairman and Chief Executive Of Richemont.
Johann Rupert Education Background
Johann Rupert attended Paul Roos Gymnasium and the University of Stellenbosch, studying economics and company law. He dropped out of the university to pursue a career in business, however, in 2004, the university awarded him an honorary doctorate in Economics.
In 2008 he was awarded an honorary doctorate in Commerce from Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University.
Johann Rupert Career
- 2010 – Present: Honorary Vice President of European Golf Tour.
- 2009 – Present: Chancellor of Stellenbosch University.
- 2006 – Present: Non-Executive Chair of VenFin Limited.
- 2002 – Present: Executive Chair of Compagnite Financiere Richemont SA.
- 2000 – Present: Chief Executive Officer of Compagnite Financiere Richemont SA.
- 2000 – Present: Founder of VenFin Limited.
- 2000 – Present: Founder and Non-Executive Chair of REMGRO Ltd.
- 1992 – Present: Chairman of Rembrandt Group Ltd.
- 1990 – Present: Founder of Vendôme Luxury Group.
- 1990 – present: Founder of Laureus Sport for Good Foundation.
- 1988 – Present: Non-Executive Director of Rothmans International plc.
- 1988 – Present: Member OF Group Management Committee of Compagnite Financiere Richemont SA.
- 1979 – Present: Founder of Small Business Development Corporation.
- Chair of Peace Parks Foundation
- Co-Founder of Sports Science Institute.
- Non-Executive Chairman of Access Freight International (Pty) Ltd.
- Chair of South African PGA Tour.
- Chair of Rembrandt Controlling Investments Ltd.
- Chair of South African Golf Development Board,
- 1997: Non-Executive Chair of Gold Fields Ltd.
- 1997 – 2006: Member of International Advisory Board, DaimlerChrysler.
- 1989 – 2000: Vice-Chair of Rembrandt Group.
- 1979 – 1984: Founder & Chief Executive Officer of RMB Holdings Ltd.
- 1976 – 1979: Business Apprentice, Lazard Freres New York.
- Executive Chair of RMB Holdings Ltd.
- Developer of Leopard Creek Golf Club.
- Head of Rupert & Rothschild Vignerons
Johann Rupert Awards
- 2010: South Africa’s Most Admired Business Leader.
- 2009: MANEX Award, Wits Business School.
- 2009: Most influential Business Leader in South Africa.
- 2009: Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur, President of the French Republic
- 2008: Business Leader of the Year, Top 100 Companies.
- 1999: Free Market Award, Free Market Foundation.
- 1998: Businessman of the Year, Sunday Times.
- 1996: Businessman of the Year, Sunday Times Business Times.
- 1993: M.S. Louw Award.
- 1993: M.S. Louw Award, Afrikaanse Handelsinstituut.
- 1992: One of 200 “Global Leaders of Tomorrow”, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- 1990: Business Leader of the Year, Die Burger newspaper and the Cape Town Chamber of Commerce.
- 1990: Businessman of the Year, Die Burger.
Johann Rupert Membership
- 2009 – Present: Member of South African Golf Hall of Fame.
- 2007: Member of South African Sports Hall of Fame.
- Trustee of Die Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns
- Managing Trustee of Investment Committee of Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund.
- Trustee of Southern African Nature Foundation.
- Council Member of The South Africa Foundation.
- Co-Founder of Sports Science Institute.
- Founder of Laureus Sport for Good Foundation.
Johann Rupert Family
Johann Rupert wife is Gaynor Rupert and they have three children Anton Rupert Jr., Hanneli Rupert and Caroline Rupert.
Johann Rupert Daughter
He has two daughters, Caroline Rupert and Hanneli Rupert. Hanneli Rupert is a South African handbag designer. In 2008, the motherland tugged her back and she launched Okapi, her handbag line, which is named after an African antelope.
Johann Rupert Son
Anton Rupert Jr., is Johann and Gaynor Rupert’s only son. They also have two daughters. Johann Rupert’s son Anton crashed his father’s R4-million Ferrari in the Western Cape, according to the Rapport newspaper. The accident happened just before the wine farm estate Tokara. He was not injured.
Johann Rupert Net Worth
He has an estimated net worth of $7.3 Billion.
Johann Rupert Contact Details
His contact details will be updated soon.