Mcebisi Jonas Biography
Mcebisi Jonas was born in 1960 in Uitenhage, Eastern Cape South Africa. He is a former Member of Parliament and Deputy Finance Minister of the Government of South Africa.
Mcebisi Jonas Age
He was born in 1960. He is 58 years old as of 2018.
Mcebisi Jonas Married – Mcebisi Jonas Wife
He is married to Matshepo Jonas.
Mcebisi Jonas Family
This information will be updated soon.
Mcebisi Jonas Education Background
Mcebisi Jonas matriculated at Newewell High School in Port Elizabeth. He holds the Bachelor of Arts in History and Sociology from Vista University and earned a Higher Diploma in Education at Rhodes University.
Mcebisi Jonas Political Career
He became active in politics from the age of 14. He led a number of political activities in the Port Elizabeth area and launched underground structures in the Eastern Cape and beyond. He was inspired by the politics of the black Consciousness movement in the early 80’s and was an organiser of Azaso (Azanian Students Organisation).
He played a key role in the establishment of the United Democratic Front (UDF) structures in the Eastern Cape. He was later sent to exile to complete military training in Angola and Uganda for the People’s Army, Umkhonto Wesizwe (MK). While in exile he was employed by the United Nations to run an education program for the Mkhonto Wesizwe (MK) carders.
Mcebisi Jonas Political Positions
2014- March 2017: Deputy Minister of Finance.
2014- April 2017: Member of Parliament of the National Assembly as a member of the African National Congress.
Mcebisi Jonas Membership
- 1997- 2004: Member of the Eastern Cape ANC Provincial Executive Committee
- 2007-2009: Member of the Eastern Cape ANC Provincial Executive Committee
- 2009 – 2014: Member of the Executive Council (EXCO responsible for Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism)
- 2009 – 2010: Member of the Executive Council (EXCO) responsible for Finance
- 2007- 2009: Chair of the Portfolio Committee for Human Settlement (EC Legislature)
- 2000 – 2005: Chief Executive Officer: Eastern Cape Development Corporation (tasked with the amalgamation of the then Transkei Development Corporation, Ciskei Development Corporation, Ciskei Peoples Bank and other smaller development institutions)
Mcebisi Jonas Contact Details
Tel: 072 415 4072 /012 315 5559
Fax: 012 323 3262
Mcebisi Jonas Video
Mcebisi Jonas News
Jonas said to decline Finance Minister post
Mcebisi Jonas declined an offer from President Cyril Ramaphosa to become finance minister in place of embattled Nhlanhla Nene, according to three people familiar with the matter.
Jonas, a former deputy finance minister, was offered the post on Monday, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they aren’t authorised to comment. Jonas didn’t answer calls to his mobile phone.
Nene, who was appointed to his post in February after Ramaphosa became president, is under pressure to quit after he revealed last week that he met members of the controversial Gupta family at their home six times. That contradicted comments he made in a 2016 television interview that he’d only interacted with them briefly at social events.
Nene asked Ramaphosa to relieve him of his duties this weekend, the Johannesburg-based Business Day newspaper reported on Monday, without saying how it got the information. Nene has apologised for his conduct and he denies having granted anyone preferential treatment or favours.
The Guptas, who were friends with former president Jacob Zuma and in business with his son, were implicated by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela in wielding undue influence over government appointments and the awarding of state contracts – allegations they and Zuma deny. Zuma ruled for almost nine years before the governing ANC forced him to quit in February and replaced him with his 65-year-old deputy and party leader, Ramaphosa.
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys
4. 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
7. 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
8. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
Jonas told a judicial panel last month that Ajay Gupta offered him the post of finance minister and a R600m bribe in exchange for business concessions. Jonas said he had refused, and was warned he would be killed if he spoke of the proposal. Ajay Gupta said in an affidavit that he’d never met with Jonas and the accusation was an “intentional fabrication”.
Ramaphosa’s spokesperson Khusela Diko didn’t respond to calls or an email seeking comment. Ramaphosa declined to answer reporters’ questions about Nene at the release of a new postal stamp at his Cape Town office on Tuesday.