Raymond Ackerman Biography
Raymond Ackerman was born on 10th March 1931 in South Africa. He is a South African businessman, the founder of Ackerman Family Educational Trust and the advisor at Pick and Pay Stores Limited.
- He has a BA in Commerce from the University of Kwa Zulu Natal.
Raymond Ackerman Career
In 1966 at the age of 35 he was fired from his position as a Managing Director at South African food retailer, Checkers.He used his severance pay to buy four retail outlets – Pick n Pay.
The store grew from four retail outlets in Cape Town to 794 stores around Southern Africa, Mauritius and Australia. He stepped down as the Executive Chairman in 2010 and handed over his reigns to his son.
Raymond Ackerman Professional Positions
- 2010 – Present: Advisor at Pick and Pay Stores Limited.
- Founder of Ackerman Family Educational Trust.
- 1967 – 2010: Executive Chairman and Founder of Pick and Pay Store Limited.
Raymond Ackerman Awards and Honours
- 2009: He was awarded a Honorary Doctorate – Commerce
- 2001: Honorary Doctor of Economic Science from the University of Cape Town.
- 1986: Honorary Doctor of Laws from Rhodes University
- Lifetime Achiever Award, Sunday Times
- Protea Award, ASOM
- One of The Men of the Decade, Women’s Bureau of South Africa
- Paul Harris Fellowship Award, Rotary International
- Management Excellenc, Witwatersrand Business School
- One of Four Outstanding Young South Africans, Jaycees | 1965
- Humanitarian Award, B’nai B’rith
- Man of the Year, Financial Mail
- One of Top 5 Businessmen of the Year, Sunday Times
- Businessman of the Year, Financial Gazette