Romeo Kumalo Biography
Romeo Kumalo was born in 1972 in Johannesburg, South Africa.He is a South African businessman. He is the Chief Executive Officer of Washirika.He is a former Chief Executive Officer of International Business at Vodacom.
Romeo Kumalo Education Background
2010-2012: Student at UNISA Johannesburg, Master’s degree in Commerce.
2009- 2009: Student at INSEAD Graduate Business School in Paris, Canadawhere he studied Marketing and Telecommunications Strategy.
2000: Student at Wits Business School in Johannesburg, South Africa where he studied MAP – Business.
1996-1997: Student at Damelin where he studied Diploma in Business Management.
Romeo Kumalo Job History
2016- Present: CEO Washirika a pan African investment holdings and private equity company with investment holdings and private equity company with investments in the communication, consstruction, clean energy and ICT sector.
2013- 2016: CEO International Business at Vodacom.
- He was charged with growing and expanding the portfolio across the continent. Vodacom International has local partners in all operations and part of his role was to manage all shareholder relations and represent Vodacom/Vodafone groups at various stakeholder levels and forums.
- Part of the portfolio included managing coordination of Vodafone / Vodacom business development and delivery activities across Africa.
- Vodacom International now contributes 22% to Vodacom group revenues and 15% to group EBITDA. I was also involved in a number of M&A deals and commercial negotiations.
- He was a member of Vodacom Group Executive Committee reporting to the Group CEO and a member of the AMAP regional CEO forum.
March 2011- May 2012: Chief Commercial Officer at Vodacom
- He managed customer experience strategy across the group.
- He was also responsible for group commercial strategy including, group marketing and brand, distribution and pricing across all operations.
2007-2010: Executive Commercial Director at Vodacom, Johannesburg Area, South Africa
- He was charged with managing consumer business unit with over 20 million customers, generating over 40 billion in revenues with staff compliment of more than 1000.
- Core responsibilities included product development, sales and distribution, marketing and brand, sponsorships, wholesale and carrier services, financial services and customer value management.
- He served as an Executive Director on the Board of Vodacom South Africa as a member of the Vodacom Group Executive Committee.
- He was also a member of Vodacom Group Risk Management Committee and a Director of Vodacom Financial Services Company and a member of Vodacom’s Capital Investment Review Board, a committee that determines and decides on capital budget allocation and funding of priority projects.
2005- 2007: Managing Director Vodacom Tanzania
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.
- He was given the opportunity of managing Vodacom group’s second biggest market with revenues of over five billion ZAR. Managing all aspects of the network P&L business, this includes developing strategy, managing operations (project management, network build & rollout, IT and Billing, sales, customer operations, brand and marketing, legal and regulations.
- Developing the distribution channels and building relationships with both trade and business partners as well as other key stakeholders including government.
- Managing people focusing on attraction and retention of talent as well as people development.
2004 – 2004: Group Executive; Strategy and Business Development, Johannesburg Area, South Africa.
- His task was to assist the COO to manage the Africa operations and find new opportunities of growth on the continent to expand the portfolio.
2000- 2004: General Manager SABC Tv.
1997- 2000: General Manager at Metro FM.
Romeo Kumalo Philanthropy
Romeo Kumalo together with his wife Basetsana Kumalo launched the Romeo & Basetsana Kumalo Family Foundation, which will develop children, specifically those orphaned by AIDS and other related diseases.
Romeo Kumalo Family
Romeo Kumalo married Basetsana Kumalo in 2000 and they have three children uShaka Kgositsile Emmanuel Kumalo, Bontle ba Morena Jasmine Kumalo, Nkosinathi Gabriel Kumalo