Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Biography
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams is a South African politician and the Deputy Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services. She is a former Deputy Minister of Communications.
She was born in Sakhela Village in Mthatha, Eastern Cape, South Africa. She grew up in Qunu, in the Eastern Cape, and is the first-born of six children in her family.
She attended several schools in and around Mthatha, but could not proceed with her studies after matric because her family could not afford to send her to university. She had to get a job to contribute to her family income, and to get her to study further.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Education Background
- She has an Advanced Certificate in Project Management from Rhodes University.
- She has a Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation Diploma in Telecommunications and Managements Systems.
- She has a Certificate in Telecommunications, Policy and Regulation Management, Wits University.
- She has a Project Management Diploma from Cranefields College.
- She is pursuing a Masters in Business Management Administration at Regent Business School.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Political Career
Ndabeni-Abrahams’s family was strictly religious and never political, but her political interest was highly influenced by learning that the first black president of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was born and bred in Qunu.
She served the ANC Youth League in a region in Mthatha. This was followed by a position on the provincial executive committee until she was elected to the national leadership team in 2008.
During a Cabinet reshuffle in 2011, President Zuma appointed Ndabeni-Abrahams as Deputy Minister for the then Department of Communications. In this position, her passion for education saw her aggressively implementing the schools connectivity programme which culminated in 1650 rural schools nationwide being connected. She further committed Telecomms licensees to implement their universal service obligations in connecting rural schools.
Since 2009 she has been an African National Congress (ANC) Member of Parliament. She was appointed as the Deputy Minister of Communications and later the Deputy Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services a position that she holds to date.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Membership
- Member of African National Congress Youth League – Executive Committee.
- 2009 – 2011: Member and Committee Whip of African National Congress Women’s League – Portfolio Committee on Defence.
- 2008 – 2010: Member of African National Congress – North West Committee.
- Member of African National Congress – Youth League National Executive Committee.
- Member of African National Congress – Joint Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Intelligence.
- Member of African National Congress – Parliamentary Caucus sub-Committee on political education.
- 2009 – 2011: Portfolio and Committee Whip, African National Congress Women’s League – Committee on Defence
- Member and Committee Whip, African National Congress – Portfolio Committee on Communications
Stella Ndabeni Age
Her date of birth will be updated.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Husband
She is the wife to Thato Abrahams.
Stella Ndabeni Children
She is a mother of three children.
Ndabeni-Abrahams gives back to the community through her own organisation/foundation. Her projects include helping Eastern Cape children to get back to school and donating school uniforms to the needy.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Wedding
Information about her wedding will be updated soon.
Stella Ndabeni Abrahams Contact Details
- Tel: 012 427 8124
- Fax: 012 239 7679