Thuli Madonsela Biography | Advocate Thuli Madonsela
Thuli Madonsela is a South African Advocate and Professor of the law currently holding the position of professor at Stellenbosch University’s Law Faculty since January 2018. She is also a lifelong activist on social justice, constitutionalism, human rights, good governance and the rule of law and has served as athe Public Protector of South Africa from 19th October 2009 to 14th October 2016.
Thuli Madonsela Education
Thuli attended Evelyn Baring High School in Nhlangano in Swaziland. In 1987, she graduated from the University of Swaziland with a Degree in Law and an LLB from the University of the Witwatersrand in 1990.
She was awarded a Doctor of Laws degree, LL.D. (Honoris causa) from the University of Stellenbosch on 26 March, 2015. She was further awarded another Doctor of Laws degree, LL.D. (Honoris causa) from the University of Cape Town on 11th June 2015 with the award ceremony taking place at Jameson Hall.
She has an honorary doctorate too from Rhodes University and the University of Fort Hare.
Thuli Madonsela Age
She was born on 28th September 1962 in Johannesburg, South Africa. She is 56 years old as of 2018.
Thuli Madonsela Family
She was born Thulisile Nomkhosi Madonsela. Her parents, Nomasonto Madonsela and Bafana Madonsela were both traders. She has a sibling by the name Musa Madonsela and they grew up in Soweto.
Thuli Madonsela Husband | Thuli Madonsela Son
Madonsela was once married but her husband passed on while her children were still yung. She is a mother of two children from the marriage; a son: Mbusowabantu Fidel and a daughter: Wenzile Madonsela. Thuli is also a grandmother to a cute young girl by the name Melo. Melo is Wenzile’s daughter.
She is now engaged with reports indicating that her partner is Dick Foxton, a public relations consultant. She revealed the news about her engagement on on Real Talk On, in July 2018.
Thuli Madonsela Daughter
The former public protector’s daughter Wenzile, is an EFF member and a law student. Wenzile is already married with her traditional wedding to her fiancé, Khulekile Msimang taking place in KwaZulu-Natal and was attended by close family and friends. Wenzile and Khulekile met at university, and have been completely head over heels in love ever since.
Thuli Madonsela Career
Since the 1980s, she worked for trade unions in both the public and private sectors. In 1996, she was a member of the team who drafted the final constitution of South Africa promulgated by then President Nelson Mandela.
In 2007, she was appointed by former President Thabo Mbeki as a full-time member of the South African Law Reform Commission.
Thuli Madonsela Public Protector
Madonsela was appointed as the Public Protector by Former South African President Jacob Zuma for a non-renewable seven-year term commencing 19 October 2009, with unanimous support from the multi-party National Assembly.
In 2012, she investigated “kickbacks” received by Julius Malema in the context of traffic department contracts given to external contractor On-Point Engineering.
As Public Protector, Madonsela also investigated complaints regarding public spending on Zuma’s private homestead in the KwaZulu-Natal town of Nkandla. Her final report on security upgrades to Zuma’s homestead titled Secure in Comfort was published on 19 March 2014. Madonsela found that Zuma had benefited unduly from the R246 million the state had spent on the upgrades.
A new Public Protector was nominated and appointed on 6 October 2016, ending Madonsela’s seven-year term on 14 October 2016.
Thuli Madonsela Awards and Honours
- 2016 – Forbes African Person of the year – German Africa Prize
- 2016 – FW de Klerk Goodwill Award
- 2015 – Doctor of Law (honoris causa), University of Fort Hare
- 2014 – Transparency International Integrity Award
- 2014 – ANN7 South African of the Year
- 2014 – She was named Woman of Courage in the Glamour Women of the Year Awards.
- 2014 – Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world in the Leaders category and described her as “an inspirational example of what African public officers need to be”.
- 2013 – Stellenbosch University (March), Rhodes University (April) and University of Cape Town (June)
- 2011- Daily Maverick named her South African Person of the Year for “serving her role as an ombudsman to the exercise of executive power with unwavering commitment to truth”.
- 2016 – She was chosen as one of the BBC’s 100 Women
- 2016 – She received the German Africa Prize
Thuli Madonsela Publications
- Madonsela, Thuli (1995). “Beyond Putting Women on the Agenda”
- Madonsela, Thuli (1995). “A fair deal for the woman worker?”. In Liebenberg, Sandra. The Constitution of South Africa from a gender perspective. Cape Town: Community Law Centre at the University of the Western Cape in association with David Philip.
- Maluleke, Mikateko Joyce; Madonsela, Thuli (2004). Women and the law in South Africa: Gender equality jurisprudence in landmark court decisions.
- Madonsela, Thuli (September 2012). “Corruption”
- Madonsela, Thuli (19 March 2014). Secure in Comfort
Thuli Madonsela Salary
Reports indicate that she earned as much as a judge of the Supreme Court of Appeal who receives a total annual package of R2,173,470. Her salary is however fixed at R1.789 million in addition to an annual gratuity of more than R1 million.
Thuli Madonsela Contact Details
Thuli Madonsela Foundation
Trust 4th Floor, 24 Cradock Avenue Rosebank, Johannesburg South Africa 2193
Tel: (+27) 61 179 9327 (IB-MD)
Mobile: (+27) 72 283 6978 (Brian)
(+27) 72 283 6978 (Brian)
Thuli Madonsela Quotes
- ‘It’s vital that every girl determines, as early as possible, who she is and what her contribution to humanity will be.’
- ‘If there is one thing I’ve learned it is that wrong things are not done by bad people.’
- ‘At times we to have to stand alone with only hope as our companion. If you stand for the truth and do so long enough hope does eventually pay.’
- ‘..listen well [to] hear what is not said.’
- Just because we deal with underhanded people, doesn’t mean we too must be underhanded.’
- ‘[Forgiveness is] not for the wrongdoers but to liberate yourself from their emotional prison.’
- ‘You are somebody right now. Never let anyone make you believe you are somebody when you have a title.’
Thuli Madonsela Twitter
Thuli Madonsela on getting South Africa back on track
Thuli Madonsela Latest News
Thuli Madonsela gets engaged after her partner puts a ring on it
One of the great public servants of our time, Thuli Madonsela, has revealed she’s engaged and is now planning to get married.
The former public protector appeared on Real Talk On 3 and let the cat out of the bag. As Madonsela says, the pair are keeping things extremely private and you can expect this one to stay on the down-low.
She responded to enquiries from TimesLive, keeping her cards close to her chest.
“We have not set a date yet and I will announce the name of the other party whenever we finally set the date.”
Madonsela has done an excellent job of separating her professional and private life.