Emmanuel Andrews Samini known by his stage name Samini (formerly as Batman Samini), is a Ghanaian Reggae and Dancehall recording artiste from Wa, Ghana born 22 December 1981 in Accra, Ghana. His genre of music is a melodious mixture of highlife, dancehall, reggae and hip-hop. He terms his brand of music as the “African dancehall”. He signed his first record deal with Ashanti International. Samini started his own record label after he left the aforementioned label.
He started singing in a church choir at the age of 14, and became a professional musician after a musical collaboration with another musician in 1999. His debut studio album, Dankwasere, was released in 2004; it topped the local music charts for weeks and won two awards at the Ghana Music Awards. The album was supported by the single “Linda”. He has performed alongside Sean Paul, Akon, Kevin Little, Shaggy, Wayne Wonder, Damian Marley, Bennie Man, Jay-Z, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Culture (of Blessed Memory) and Steel Pulse. He collaborated with Steel Pulse and Etana from Jamaica. He has received international recognition and toured the UK, Germany, Italy, Canada, and the Netherlands.
He received international recognition when he won the “Best African Act” at the 2006 MOBO Awards. After releasing his second self-titled studio album, Samini, he won three awards at the 2007 Ghana Music Awards. In February 2008, Samini won the “African Artiste of the Year” award at The Headies. His third studio album, Dagaati, was released in 2008.
Samini has released Six studio albums, with all being highly successful on the commercial market. Samini’s success and recognition began when his first single, Linda, was released and subsequently appearing on other successful singles by other artistes.
Awards and nominations
- MOBO Awards
2006 Himself Best African Act Won
- The Headies
2010 Himself Best African Act Won
- Channel O Music Video Awards
2011 Himself Most Gifted Reggae Dancehall Video Artist Won
- Bass Awards
2013 Himself Kwame Nkrumah Award (Artiste Of The Year) Won
-Best Performer(Reggae/Dancehall) Won
-Best Dancehall Artiste Won
- MTV Africa Music Awards
2009 Himself Best Performer Won
- Ghana Music Awards
-2005 Himself Artiste of the Year Won
-HipLife Artist Of The Year Won
-2007 Himself African Magic Artiste of the Year Won
-Pop Song Of The Year Won
-Record Song Of The Year Won
-2011 Himself Album of the Year Won
- 2006 MTV Europe Music Awards 2006 – Best African Act
- 2008 MTV Africa Music Awards – Best Performer
- Black Canadian Awards 2014- Best International Act
- Ghana Music Awards 2014- Artist Of The Year
- Ghana Music Awards 2014- Reggae Dancehall Song (scatter badmind)
- Ghana Music Awards 2011- Artist Of The Year
- Ghana Music Awards 2011 – Afro Pop Song Of The Year
- Ghana Music Awards 2011- Album Of The Year
- Ghana Music Awards 2012- Reggae Song Of The Year
- IRWM Awards- Best African Entertainer
- Bass Awards 2013- Most Popular Dancehall Song
- Bass Awards 2013- Best Collaboration (Time Bomb ft wiz kid)
- Bass Awards 2013- Best Dancehall Music Video
- MOAMA Awards 2010- Best African album
- Ghana DJ Awards- Song Of The Year
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to email@example.com indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.