Gene Watson Biography
Gary Gene Watson is an American country singer. He was born on October 11, 1943 in Palestine, Texas.
As a young adult, Gene settled in Houston, TX and began performing in the big Houston nightclubs while working as a paint and body man during the day. He developed a strong local following with his stage act and it was in Houston where he released his debut single on Sun Valley Records. That single, titled “If It Was That Easy” didn’t make any charts but as Gene states “it was just exciting to see my name on a record release and to believe that I was really in the business”.
In 1964, the Grand Ole Opry duo, The Wilburn Brothers, took Gene on the road briefly. It was The Wilburn Brothers who brought Gene to Nashville for the very first time and allowed him to sing on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. Gene notes “I sang the Hank Williams song ‘I Can’t Help It if I’m Still in Love With You’ and got a standing ovation so not knowing what to follow with I just went out and did a gospel standard ‘It Is No Secret What God Can Do’. After that, they carried me down to the Ernest Tubb Record Shop and I got on stage and broadcast on The Midnight Jamboree.”
Then it was back to the Texas honky-tonks and a string of local singles throughout the ‘60s.
In 1974, one of Gene Watson’s small-label singles caught the ear of Capitol Records. He was an auto-body repairman and the featured performer at Houston’s Dynasty nightclub when the label picked up the steamy, sexual waltz “Love in the Hot Afternoon” for national distribution. It became the first of Gene Watson’s two-dozen top-10 hits in early 1975.
Gene Watson quit drinking in 1980 and quit smoking not long after that. He underwent surgery and survived colon cancer in 2000-01. Through it all, he continued to record one critically applauded collection after another. He was inducted into the Texas Music Hall of Fame in 2002 and into the inaugural class of the Houston, Texas Music Hall of Fame in 2013.
Gene Watson Age
He was born on October 11, 1943.
Gene Watson Net Worth
He has an estimated net worth of $8 million.
Gene Watson Wife
He married Mattie Louise Bivins in January 1961 when he was 17 and she was 15 years old. They have an adult son and daughter.
Gene Watson Songs List
- Farewell Party
- Fourteen Carat Mind
- Paper Rosie
- Love in the Hot Afternoon
- Nothing Sure Looked Good on You
- Got No Reason Now For Going Home
- Should I Come Home
- The Old Man and His Horn
- Where Love Begins
- Pick the Wildwood Flower
- I Don’t Need a Thing at All
- Memories to Burn
- What She Don’t Know Won’t Hurt Her
- Old Loves Never Die
- Speak Softly
- Because You Believed in Me
- When a Man Can’t Get a Woman Off His Mind
- Change Her Mind
- The Jukebox Played Along
- No One Will Ever Know
- Bedroom Ballad
- This Dream’s On Me
- Back in the Fire
- You’re Out Doing What I’m Here Doing Without
- Climb Higher
- Gone for Good
- You Could Know as Much About a Stranger
- Don’t Waste It on the Blues
- Everything I Used to Do
- Her Body Couldn’t Keep You
- Maybe I Should Have Been Listening
- Old Porch Swing
Gene Watson Music Video
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do