Justin Verlander Biography
Justin Verlander born Justin Brooks Verlander, is an American professional baseball pitcher. He was born on February 20, 1983 to Richard and Kathy in Manakin-Sabot, near Richmond in Virginia.
When he was 13 he was sent to the Richmond Baseball Academy because his father could no longer catch his pitches due to the velocity of the throws. He clocked 84 mph shortly after joining the academy. The velocity continued to increase and it passed 93 mph when he entered high school. He pitched for the Old Dominion University baseball team for three years. In 2003, he set a school single season record by recording 139 strikeouts; in 2004, he broke his own record and established a new Colonial Athletic Association record with 151 strikeouts.
His professional baseball career started when the Tigers selected him second overall in the 2004 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft. He signed with the Tigers in October of that year and started the 2005 season in the Florida State League for the Lakeland Flying Tigers. He ended the 2005 season pitching for the Erie Sea Wolves, the AA affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
In 2006, he became the fifth starter in the Tigers rotation and became the first rookie pitcher in the history of the game to win 10 games before the end of June. That year he was named the American League Rookie of the Year. On June 12, 2007 he set a new career high as he pitched the first ever at No-Hitter at Comerica Park against the Milwaukee Brewers, striking out 12 batters and walking four.
Justin Verlander Age
He was born on February 20, 1983.
Justin Verlander Wife – Justin Verlander Fiance – Justin Verlander Girlfriend
Verlander started dating model-actress Kate Upton in late 2011, and in 2016 the couple got engaged.
Justin Verlander Brother
His younger brother Benjamin plays for the Tigers organization as an outfielder.
Justin Verlander Salary – Justin Verlander Contract
Justin Verlander signed a deal in 2013 that pays $180 million over seven years and was the biggest contract ever for a pitcher at the time. The deal includes a $22 million vesting option in the eighth year that would push the total value of the deal to $202 million. The right-hander pocketed a $200,000 bonus for his second place finish in the 2016 Cy Young voting. He receives an annual salary of $28 million.
Justin Verlander Net Worth
He has an estimated net worth of $80 million.
Justin Verlander Awards
- American League Rookie of the Year
- MLB Players Choice AL Outstanding Rookie
- Tigers Rookie of the Year award from the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association – 2006
- American League Rookie of the Month – May 2006
- American League Pitcher of the Month – May 2009, June 2011, September 2012, July 2016
- American League Player of the Week – May 22–28, 2006; June 11–17, 2007; May 2–8, 2011; June 13–19, 2011; September 12–18, 2011
- 7th in 2006 American League Cy Young Award voting
- 5th in 2007 American League Cy Young Award voting
- 15th in 2006 American League MVP voting
- Named to 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 American League All-Star Teams
- Became first Tigers pitcher since Denny McLain in 1968 (31–6, .838) to lead the American League in winning percentage and qualify for an ERA title (18–6, .750) in 2007.
- He did it again in 2011 (24-5, .828).
- Only pitcher in Major League history to win Rookie of the Year, start in a World Series game, throw a no-hitter, and be an All-Star in his first two seasons
- Tiger of the Year – 2009
- Third in 2009 American League Cy Young Award voting
- One of only two players to win the Rookie of the Year Award, Cy Young Award, and the MVP Award; the other is Don Newcombe
- Won AL pitching Triple Crown in 2011
- AL Cy Young Award – 2011
- MLB Players Choice AL Outstanding Pitcher – 2011
- American League MVP – 2011
- MLB Players Choice Player of the Year – 2011
- Tiger of the Year – 2011
- Major League Baseball 2K12 cover athlete – 2011
- AL Cy Young Award runner-up – 2012
- American League Pitcher of the Month – July 2016
- Tiger of the Year – 2016
- AL Cy Young Award runner-up – 2016
Justin Verlander – Video
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do