Oprah Winfrey Biography
Oprah Winfrey born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko Mississippi is an American media proprietor, actress, talk show host, producer, and philanthropist born to Vernita Lee and Vernon Winfrey.
Even though Oprah is cited as the richest African American of the 20th century, she did not come from a rich or even middle class family,she was born in an economically troubled neighborhood and raised by a teen-aged mother.
Oprah’s mother left her and traveled to the north hence she was raised by her grandmother,Hatti Mae Lee. While being raised by her grandmother lived in terrible conditions. Oprah’s only friends were farm animals,however even at that age Oprah had a very imaginative mind, she would frequently give the animals dramatic parts and included them in games. This was perhaps where she had gotten the craze for acting, and would soon be seen in legendary masterpieces such as The Color Purple .
Because of her grandmother’s values Oprah Winfrey had religion and God instilled in herself at a very young age.During church Oprah Winfrey would recite poems,and verses from the bible and soon the church, and the entire neighborhood knew she had a gift and was nicknamed,”The Little Speaker”. This would soon prompt her to become a woman with a strong perspective, which millions across the world would want to have insight on. This prepared her for The Oprah Winfrey Show which started airing in 1986.
Oprah Winfrey Education
Oprah’s father was very strict and made education the number-one priority for Oprah Winfrey. Oprah attended Nashville East High School. During high-school Oprah Winfrey wasn’t precisely certain toward what she wanted to do, however she knew it was something with speaking or drama. Oprah was also elected school president and met with president Richard Nixon being a part of public speaking classes in her high-school. It was during the last year of high-school while she was rehearsing with her drama class that a local radio station, WVOL spotted her and asked her if she would like to read on radio. Oprah was then given a job reading the news on the radio.
Oprah Winfrey’s Career
Oprah soon entered into a public speaking contest where the grand prize was a scholarship to Tennessee State University, she won the contest and received a scholarship to Tennessee State University where she majored in Speech Communications and Performing Arts.It was during her college education was offered a job as a co-anchor on the CBS television station, she declined several times before she was convinced by her speech professor that it may be the ultimate step to launch her career. Oprah wanted to find work outside of Nashville Tennessee and was soon offered a job in Baltimore,Maryland. The job offer came up a few months before her graduation, she had to choose between the job and graduating, so she decided to choose the job in Maryland as the offer was very tempting.
At the job in Maryland she wasn’t a very good reporter and was shortly fired. Oprah’s boss set her up as a talk show host on a morning talk show called, People Are Talking in 1978 . Immediately after the first show Oprah knew this is what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. Oprah strengthened the talk show for seven years and then she decided it was time to move on.
In 1981 Oprah Winfrey sent recorded tapes of the show to a talk-show in Chicago called A.M. Chicago who immediately offered her the job and in September of 1985 she changed the name of the show to, “The Oprah Winfrey Show”. The first broadcast of The Oprah Winfrey Show was on September 8th,1986. The Oprah Winfrey show first targeted woman, however soon due to controversial topics and intriguing topics Oprah brought on to the show it appealed to people of all genders,ethnics,and ages. Oprah promoted many things on her show such as books, movie releases all of which people were eager to know what her opinions were of them.
The Oprah Winfrey show went on to receive prestigious awards such as Day Time Emmy Awards and several others .Winfrey expanded the Oprah Winfrey show and started releasing a monthly magazine:The Oprah Magazine with the first issue being in the year 2000.
Oprah Winfrey Age
Oprah was born on 29 January 1954 (age 64 years).
Oprah Winfrey Net Worth
Oprah Winfrey is one of the richest and most powerful American women. Her net worth an estimated $2.8 billion.
Oprah Winfrey’s Husband
Oprah Winfrey got into a romantic partnership with Stedman Graham with whom they have been together for thirty years but have never tied the knot officially.
Oprah Winfrey’s Children
Though being in a relationship with Stedman Graham for thirty years ,Oprah Winfrey does not have any children.
Oprah Winfrey House
Oprah Winfrey’s Many Multimillion-Dollar Homes. She is currently living in her house in Montecito, California. Winfrey also owns a house in Lavallette, New Jersey; an estate on Fisher Island, Florida; an apartment in Chicago; a ski house in Telluride, Colorado; and properties on Maui, Hawaii and Antigua.
Oprah Winfrey’s Movies
Oprah made her debut as a film actress in the 1985 period drama film, The Color Purple. Oprah played a troubled housewife named Sofia. Oprah was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. This movie went on to become a Broadway musical adaptation. In 1998 Oprah starred in the movie, Beloved which she also produced. Winfrey played the character Sethe who was a former slave. Winfrey has also acted in several movies such as Charlotte’s Web , Bee Movie , and The Princess and the Frog.
Oprah Winfrey Awards
Oprah Winfrey has received prestigious awards such as an Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award from the Academy Of Motion Pictures Arts And Sciences, Day Time Emmy Awards and several other prestigious awards.
Oprah Winfrey Photos
Oprah Winfrey Quotes
- Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment
- Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.
- When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are.
- Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.
- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.
- Surround yourself only with people who are going to take you higher.
- The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power. Facing the truth really will set you free.
- Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.
- Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
- Everybody has a calling. And your real job in life is to figure out as soon as possible what that is, who you were meant to be, and to begin to honor that in the best way possible for yourself.
Oprah Winfrey Twitter
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys
4. 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
7. 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
8. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do