Ted Allen Biography
Ted Allen born Edward Allen on May 20, 1965 in Columbus, Ohio, is an American author and television personality . He grew up in Carmel, Indiana where his southern-born mother taught him the basics of the kitchen. In 1987, Allen graduated from Purdue University with a degree in Psychology.
In 1983, Allen graduated from Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana, and was allowed into the school’s Alumni Hall of Fame in 2011. In 1987 he received a degree in psychology from Purdue University. Subsequently, he then enrolled in Purdue’s Krannert Graduate School of Management, but left to accept a job as a copy editor at the Lafayette, Indiana, Journal & Courier.
Later he returned to graduate school, gaining an M.A. in journalism from the Science and Environmental Reporting Program at New York University. He then relocated to Chicago, where he got a job as a reporter for Lerner Newspapers, a chain of community weekly newspapers. He then got his start in restaurant criticism there as one quarter of a bi-weekly group-review team called “The Famished Four”, along with Barry Rice, then the chain’s entertainment editor (and today Allen’s husband), who initiated the concept with Lerner food editor Leah A. Zeldes.
Ted Allen Age
Allen was born on 20th May 1965. He is 53 years old as of 2018.
Ted Allen Wife | Ted Allen Husband Barry Rice
Ted Allen has no wife but is engaged to his gay partner Barry Rice.
Ted Allen Children
As of November 2017 he has no children.
Ted Allen Body Measurements And Height
Allen’s body measurement are as follows, he has a height of 5 feet 8 inches. Additionally, he has a weight of around 66 kgs. Furthermore, his hair is dark brown in color and has a blue eye color.
Is Ted Allen Gay? | Ted Allen And Barry Rice
Allen is openly gay and is currently in a relationship with his ex-journalism professor partner Barry Rice who turned to be an interior designer. The pair married on July 30, 2013 and has been together since 1993.
They registered themselves as domestic partners. In addition, the couple wears their wedding rings and prefer to refer one another as a husband.
Is Ted Allen Related To Tim Allen
There have been allegations that Ted Allen and Tim Allen are actually related but it’s not true they are not related whatsoever.
Ted Allen Career
Allen became a freelancer for Chicago magazine, eventually signing on as a senior editor, and he often wrote about food, wine and luminaries of the culinary world. He joined Esquire in 1997 as a contributing editor, where he wrote features, food pieces, and profiles, and co-authored the magazine’s popular “Things a Man Should Know” series. He also has written for GQ, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, and Epicurious.
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl.
2. Things Girls Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never, Do.
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Do.
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl.
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do.
8. 10 Things that are Killing Your Kidneys.
He became a finalist for the National Magazine Award for his story on male breast cancer published on Esquire in 2001. He was a contributing editor for Esquire and also wrote for “Things a Man Should Know”, the magazine’s popular column. The column covered various topics concerning men’s interests such as style, marriage, sex, and cocktails. Eventually, the compiled articles produced four books. He also worked as senior editor for Chicago magazine, a guide for restaurant lovers in the city. His written works has been published in Conde Nast Traveler, Travel & Leisure, GQ, National Geographic Adventure, Self, Men’s Journal, Women.com and the Chicago Sun-Times.
Ted Allen gained television attention as the wine and food connoisseur for the Emmy award-winning reality show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in 2003. After that, he made several other TV appearances, including being a frequent guest judge on Iron Chef America . He was also part of the six-part documentary “Uncorked: Wine Made Simple”, where he was the narrator. Ted Allen appeared as a judge on Bravo’s reality TV program Top Chef , where he made several appearances as a guest judge in the first two seasons, and became a regular judge in season three. Ted currently lives in Brooklyn, New York with his long-time partner, Barry Rice.
Barry Rice And Ted Allen
Food Network star Ted Allen announced plans to wed his partner Barry Rice. The food and wine expert celebrated theU.S. Supreme Court ruling with some big news of his own.
“Proud to announce on this historic day that my partner of 20 years, Barry Rice, and I are engaged to be married,” Allen wrote on Twitter. Allen isn’t the only celebrity with plans to walk down the aisle.
Is Ted Allen A Chef
Ted Allen is not a chef by profession.
Ted Allen Net Worth
He is an American television personality, writer, and cookbook author who has an approximate net worth of $5 million.
Ted Allen Photos
Ted Allen Awards
In May 2012, Allen received a James Beard Foundation Award for his work as the host of Chopped, and the show itself also won for best in-studio television program. In 2004, he won an Emmy Award along with the other cast members and producers of Queer Eye for “Outstanding Reality Program” from the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
The show was also nominated again for that category in 2005. In 2001, he was a finalist in the National Magazine Awards for an Esquire feature on the little-known phenomenon of male breast cancer, and later contributed to an Esquire food series that was a finalist in the National Magazine Award in 2003.
In 2011, he received a Visibility Award from the Human Rights Campaign in San Francisco. He also holds two awards from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation for Queer Eye, presented in 2004 and 2005.
Ted Allen Books
- Esquire’s Things A Man Should Know About Style (Riverhead Books, 1999) with Scott Omelianuk (ISBN 1573227633, ISBN 978-1-57322-763-6, OCLC 42310518)
- Esquire’s Things A Man Should Know About Marriage (Riverhead Books, 2000) with Scott Omelianuk (ISBN 1573227773, ISBN 978-1-57322-777-3, OCLC 42462917)
- Esquire’s Things A Man Should Know About Sex (Riverhead Books, 2001) with Scott Omelianuk
- Esquire’s Things A Man Should Know About Handshakes, White Lies and Which Fork Goes Where: Easy
- Business Etiquette for Complicated Times (Riverhead Books, 2001) with Scott Omelianuk (ISBN 1588160688, ISBN 978-1-58816-068-3)
- Co-author, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: The Fab Five’s Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better (Clarkson Potter, 2004) (ISBN 140005446X, ISBN 978-1-4000-5446-6, ISBN 1-4000-9784-3, ISBN 978-1-4000-9784-5)
- The Food You Want To Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes (Clarkson Potter, 2005) (ISBN 1400080908, ISBN 978-1-4000-8090-8)
- In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks (Clarkson Potter 2012)
Ted Allen On Legacy of ‘Queer Eye’