Jay Leno Biography | Who Is Jay Leno?
Table of Contents
- 1 Jay Leno Biography | Who Is Jay Leno?
- 2 Jay Leno Age | How Old Is Jay Leno?
- 3 Jay Leno Parents | Jay Leno Family
- 4 Jay Leno Brother
- 5 Jay Leno Wife | Jay Leno Married |Jay Leno and Wife | Jay Leno Kids | Jay Leno Children
- 6 Jay Leno Stand Up | Jay Leno Comedy
- 7 The Tonight Show With Jay Leno | Jay Leno Late Show | Late Night With Jay Leno
- 8 Jay Leno Conan
- 9 Jay Leno Monologue
- 10 The Jay Leno Show | Jay Leno Show
- 11 Who Replaced Jay Leno? | Who Took Over For Jay Leno?
- 12 Jay Leno Last Show
- 13 Jay Leno Cars | Jay Leno Car Collection | How Many Cars Does Jay Leno Have? | How Many Cars Does Jay Leno Own?
- 14 Jay Leno Car Show
- 15 Jay Leno Cars List | Jay Leno Garage List | Jay Leno Car Collection List
- 16 Jay Leno Car Garage
- 17 Jay Leno Motorcycle Collection | Jay Leno Motorcycle
- 18 Jay Leno Book
- 19 Jay Leno Politics
- 20 Jay Leno Salary
- 21 Jay Leno Net Worth | How Much Is Jay Leno Worth?
- 22 Jay Leno Chin
- 23 Jay Leno Car Collection Value
- 24 Jay Leno Jet Bike
- 25 Jay Leno House | Jay Leno Home | Where Does Jay Leno Live?
- 26 Jay Leno Height | How Tall Is Jay Leno?
- 27 Jay Leno Tour | Jay Leno Tour Dates
- 28 Jay Leno Tickets
- 29 Jay Leno Tank Car
- 30 Jay Leno Movies and TV Shows
- 31 Jay Leno Quotes
- 32 Jay Leno Twitter
- 33 Jay Leno Garage Tour | Jay Leno Garage Visit
Jay Leno (Full name: James Douglas Muir Leno) is an American comedian, actor, producer, writer, and television host. Leno was the host of NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno from 1992 to 2009. He has hosted Jay Leno’s Garage since 2014.
Growing up in Andover, Massachusetts, Leno attended Andover High School. He then attended Emerson College where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in speech therapy. He started a comedy club in the school in 1973.
Jay Leno Age | How Old Is Jay Leno?
James Douglas Muir Leno was born on 28 April, 1950 in New Rochelle, New York, U.S. He is 68 years old as of 2018.
Jay Leno Parents | Jay Leno Family
Leno was born to a homemaker mother, Catherine (née Muir; 1911–1993) and Angelo (1910–1994), who was an insurance salesman. His mother was born in Greenock, Scotland, and came to the United States at age 11 while his father was born in New York, to immigrants from Flumeri, Italy.
Jay Leno Brother
Leno has an older brother Patrick Leno who died on 6 October, 2002 as a result of complications from cancer. Patrick was a Vietnam War veteran who worked as an attorney.
Jay Leno Wife | Jay Leno Married |Jay Leno and Wife | Jay Leno Kids | Jay Leno Children
Leno has been married to American philanthropist and feminist Mavis Leno since 1980. Does Jay Leno Have Kids? The couple has no kids by mutual agreement. He is dyslexic and also claims to only need four to five hours of sleep each night. He does not drink or smoke nor does he gamble.
With his wife, Leno donated $100,000 to the Feminist Majority Foundation’s campaign to stop gender apartheid in Afghanistan in 2001. This was to educate the public regarding the plight of women in Afghanistan under Taliban rule. His wife is on the board of the Feminist Majority.
He also donated $100,000 to a scholarship fund at Salem State College (now Salem State University) in honor of Lennie Sogoloff in 2009. He also auctioned his Fiat 500, which was sold for $385,000 in August 2012. All the proceeds went to a charity that helps wounded war veterans recover by providing them with temporary housing.
Jay Leno Stand Up | Jay Leno Comedy
On March 2, 1977, Leno first appeared on The Tonight Show, performing a comedy routine. Leno has also appeared numerous times on Late Night with David Letterman.
The Tonight Show With Jay Leno | Jay Leno Late Show | Late Night With Jay Leno
He was a regular substitute host for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show starting in 1986. He replaced Carson as host in 1992 amid controversy with David Letterman. He continued to to perform as a stand-up comedian throughout his term on The Tonight Show.
He signed a contract extension with NBC in 2004 which would then keep him as host of The Tonight Show until 2009. Conan O’Brien signed a contract with NBC later in 2004 under which Conan would become the host of The Tonight Show in 2009 replacing Leno at that time.
Jay Leno Conan
Neither Leno nor Conan succeeded in delivering the viewing audiences the network anticipated in their new roles. Several media outlets reported on January 7, 2010 that beginning March 1, 2010, Leno would move from his 10 p.m. weeknight time slot to 11:35 p.m. Due to the combination of pressure from local affiliates whose newscasts were suffering, and both Leno’s and O’Brien’s poor ratings.
It was then announced on January 21, that NBC had struck a deal with O’Brien. It had been decided that O’Brien would leave The Tonight Show. The deal was then made that O’Brien would receive a $33 million payout and that his staff of almost 200 would receive $12 million in the departure. His final episode aired on Friday, January 22, 2010. On March 1, 2010, Leno returned as host of The Tonight Show following the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Variety reported on July 1, 2010 that total viewership for Leno’s Tonight Show had dropped from 5 million to 4 million for the second quarter of 2010 and this was compared to the same period in 2009.
Jay Leno Monologue
He was accused of violating WGA guidelines by writing his own monologue for The Tonight Show during the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike. NBC and Leno claimed that there were private meetings with the WGA where there was a secret agreement allowing this but the WGA denied such a meeting. In February 2009 and June 2009, Jay answered questions in front of the Writers Guild of America, West trial committee. On August 11, 2009, when the WGAW published its list of strike-breakers, he was not on the list.
The Jay Leno Show | Jay Leno Show
Leno started a primetime talk show, titled The Jay Leno Show, which aired weeknights at 10:00pm ET, on NBC. The show debuted on September 14, 2009. It was then announced at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that it would feature one or two celebrities, the occasional musical guest, and also keep the popular “Headlines” segments, which would air near the end of the show. The first guests included Jerry Seinfeld, Oprah Winfrey (via satellite). He also had a short sit-down with Kanye West discussing his controversy at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, which had occurred the night before.
Who Replaced Jay Leno? | Who Took Over For Jay Leno?
NBC announced on April 3, 2013 that Leno would leave The Tonight Show in spring 2014. Jimmy Fallon was his designated successor.
Jay Leno Last Show
His last show as the host of the Tonight Show was on February 6, 2014. His last guests on the show were Billy Crystal and musical guest Garth Brooks. There were also other few surprise guests, including Jack Black, Kim Kardashian, Jim Parsons, Sheryl Crow, Chris Paul, Carol Burnett, and also Oprah Winfrey.
Jay Leno Cars | Jay Leno Car Collection | How Many Cars Does Jay Leno Have? | How Many Cars Does Jay Leno Own?
Leno’s vehicle collection includes approximately 169 cars and 117 motorbikes. Among them are two Doble steam cars, a sedan and a roadster that were owned by Howard Hughes, the fifth Duesenberg Model X known to survive, and also one of nine remaining 1963 Chrysler Turbine. Cars. It also includes three antique electric cars; the 1925 Baker Electric is Mavis Leno’s favorite car.
In Popular Mechanics, he has a regular column which showcases his car collection and also gives advice about various automotive topics. He also writes occasional “Motormouth” articles for The Sunday Times. In the articles, he reviews high-end sports cars and giving his humorous take on motoring matters.
Jay Leno Car Show
Leno has a website and a TV program called Jay Leno’s Garage on CNBC. The show contains video clips and photos of his car collection in detail, as well as other vehicles of interest to him.The show has aired as a primetime series on the cable channel since 2015.
Jay Leno Cars List | Jay Leno Garage List | Jay Leno Car Collection List
Leno’s wide variety of cars include;
- 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
- 2011 Audi R8 Spyder
- 1906 Stanley Steamer Vanderbilt Cup Racer
- 1986 Lamborghini Countach
- Blastolene Special
- 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car
- 2017 Ford GT
- Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren
- 2014 McLaren P1
- 1955 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing Coupe
- 1939 Lagonda V12
- 1967 Lamborghini Miura P400
- Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita
- 2006 EcoJet
- 1994 McLaren F1
Jay Leno Car Garage
Leno spends most of his free time visiting car collections and sometimes working in his private garage. His garage manager is Bernard Juchli. He opened his garage to Team Bondi. Team Bondi was the company that developed the critically acclaimed 2011 video game L.A. Noire. He allowed the team to recreate their images as accurately as possible in his collection.
Jay Leno Motorcycle Collection | Jay Leno Motorcycle
Leno purchased his first motorcycle, a 350cc Honda that he purchased when he was a student because “it was cheap transportation.” He bought a Brough in the 1980s, paying $5,000 for a 1939 model that his friends scoffed at. He then began trading up, and acquiring more esoteric examples.
His motorcycle collection include;
- 350cc Honda
- 1918 Pope
- Henderson Four
- 1922 Megola
- 375-horsepower Y2K bike
He also has a set of electric motorcycles and scooters, in a group not far from a rare Nimbus, a rare Rudge and also an early Whizzer.
Jay Leno Book
- How to be the funniest kid in the whole wide world – 2005
- If Roast Beef Could Fly – 2004
- Hot Wheels Cars – 2001
- Jay Leno’s police blotter – 1994
- Headlines IV: The Next Generation – 1992
- Headlines III: Not the Movie, Still the Book : Real But Ridiculous Samplings from America’s Newspapers – 1991
Jay Leno Politics
He made jokes mocking then-President Barack Obama and then-Secretary of State John Kerry while hosting the 2014 Genesis Prize award ceremony in Jerusalem. He accused Obama of “trying to break” the U.S.’s relationship with Israel.
In an interview with The Jerusalem Post in 2015, he said, “I always considered Israel as not only the only democracy in the Middle East, I think it’s the purest, because every Israeli voter seems to have his own political party.” He then added about Israel’s relations with other Middle East countries: “Israel is so efficient in defending itself and so good at it, that to the rest of the world it looks like bullying.”
Jay Leno Salary
Depending on ratings for Leno on The Jay Leno Show, he could have earned up to $30 million each year.
Jay Leno Net Worth | How Much Is Jay Leno Worth?
Leno is believed to have acquired some great wealth from his wide television career on The Tonight Show. The television personality owns a vehicle collection and an oceanfront mansion in Rhode Island which are worth a handsome good amount. The stand-up comedian has an estimated net worth of $350 million.
Jay Leno Chin
Leno is highly known for his prominent jaw described as mandibular prognathism. In his book, Leading with My Chin, Leno stated that he is aware of surgery that could reset his mandible. He however states that he is not ready to endure a prolonged healing period with his jaws wired shut.
Jay Leno Car Collection Value
Leno’s car collection which is spectacular and pricey is approximately worth $50 million. This is 14% of his $350 million net worth.
Jay Leno Jet Bike
Leno’s 375-horsepower Y2K bike is powered by a helicopter engine, that has been tested at 237 miles per hour. It is basically referred to as a jet.
Jay Leno House | Jay Leno Home | Where Does Jay Leno Live?
Leno is a proud owner of an oceanfront mansion in Rhode Island. It is a $13.5 million home in Newport which was listed by Lila Delman Real Estate. The mansion has a gated entrance and winding drive leads up to the estate. It sits on a 9-acre lot and features 15,851 square feet of living space.
It has a 12 bedrooms, 12 full bathrooms and three half-baths, and is also packed with luxe amenities, including a carriage house, walled garden and tennis court. It also comes with access to the beach.
Jay Leno Height | How Tall Is Jay Leno?
The millionaire comedian stands at a a height of 1.8 m.
Jay Leno Tour | Jay Leno Tour Dates
- Thu, 25 Apr
Newark, NJ, United States
New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Sat, 27 Apr
Toronto, ON, Canada
Roy Thomson Hall
- Thu, 2 May
Stamford, CT, United States
Stamford Center for the Arts
- Sat, 11 May
Bensalem, PA, United States
- Fri, 17 May
Las Vegas, NV, United States
- Thu, 30 May
Burlington, VT, United States
Flynn Center for the Performing Arts
- Fri, 31 May
Hampton, NH, United States
- Fri, 21 Jun
Scottsdale, AZ, United States
Talking Stick Resort
- Sat, 22 Jun
Las Vegas, NV, United States
- Fri, 20 Sep
Durham, NC, United States
Durham Performing Arts Center
- Fri, 18 Oct
Kingston, NY, United States
Ulster Performing Arts Center
- Sat, 19 Oct
Westbury, NY, United States
NYCB Theatre at Westbury
- Fri, 22 Nov
Medford, MA, United States
- Sat, 23 Nov
Medford, MA, United States
- Sat, 7 Dec
Grand Prairie, TX, United States
- Sun, 29 Dec
Las Vegas, NV, United States
Jay Leno Tickets
To acquire or secure tickets to Leno’s events, click here.
Jay Leno Tank Car
Leno’s Tank Car is designed by the Blastolene brothers, Randy Grubb and Mike Leads. It was never really meant for road use, but for show. When he got ther car, his priority was to modify it to be street legal. The 20 foot long, 10,000 pound tank is fully equipped to driven on the road legally and weighs 10,000 pounds.
Jay Leno Movies and TV Shows
Jay Leno Movies
Fun with Dick and Jane
American Hot Wax
What’s Up, Hideous Sun Demon
We’re Back! A Dinosaur’s Story Vorb (voice)
Wayne’s World 2
Major League II
Meet Wally Sparks
In & Out
Wag the Dog
Stuck on You
Tales of the Rat Fink
Ice Age: The Meltdown
The Astronaut Farmer
Christmas Is Here Again
Scooby-Doo! and the Goblin King
The Great Buck Howard
Unstable Fables: Tortoise vs. Hare
I’m Still Here
Elf: Buddy’s Musical Christmas
Jay Leno TV Shows
- The Fairly OddParents – 2001 to 2017
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – 1992 to 2014
- Kelly Clarkson’s Cautionary Christmas Music Tale – 2013
- The Jay Leno Show – 2009 to 2010
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson – 1962 to 1992
- Television Parts – 1985
- Jay Leno’s Garage – since 2015
- Mickey and the Roadster Racers – since 2017
- Celebrity Rides: Jay’s Duesenberg
- Jay Leno’s Garage: Extras
Jay Leno Quotes
Some of Leno’s quotes include:
- The reason there are two senators for each state is so that one can be the designated driver.
- How come you never see a headline like ‘Psychic Wins Lottery’?
- Today is Valentine’s Day – or, as men like to call it, Extortion Day!
- Don’t forget Mother’s Day. Or as they call it in Beverly Hills, Dad’s Third Wife Day.
- You can’t stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh.
- If God doesn’t destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology.
- If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
- Politics is just show business for ugly people.
- You’re not famous until my mother has heard of you.
- I went into a McDonald’s yesterday and said, ‘I’d like some fries.’ The girl at the counter said, ‘Would you like some fries with that?’
- Al Jazeera aired a new tape of Osama bin Laden. It was the usual stuff, he called Bush evil, the Great Satan, called him a war monger. Basically, the same thing you heard at last night’s Democratic debate.
- Magic Johnson, former basketball player, may run for mayor of L.A. in the next election. Remember the good ‘ol days when only qualified people ran for office like actors and professional wrestlers.
- Major league baseball has asked its players to stop tossing baseballs into the stands during games, because they say fans fight over them and they get hurt. In fact, the Florida Marlins said that’s why they never hit any home runs. It’s a safety issue.
- The Washington Bullets are changing their name. They don’t want their team to be associated with crime. From now on, they’ll just be known as the Bullets.
- Today, one year after their divorce, Pamela and Tommy Lee announced they’re getting back together. You know what that means? There’s still hope for Ike and Tina Turner.
Jay Leno Twitter
Jay Leno Garage Tour | Jay Leno Garage Visit
About InformationCradle Editorial Staff
This Article is produced by InformationCradle Editorial Staff which is a team of expert writers and editors led by Josphat Gachie and trusted by millions of readers worldwide.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date. For complain, correction or an update, please send us an email to email@example.com. We promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.