Thandiswa Mazwai Biography
Thandiswa Mazwai was born on 31st March 1976 in South Africa. He is a South African musician, a lead vocalist and a songwriter.
Her parents Belede and Thami Mazwai were journalists and anti-apartheid political activists. Her work was inspired by her mother.
Thandiswa Mazwai Education Background
Student at Wits University where she studied English literature and International Relations.
Thandiswa Mazwai Career
She participated at the ‘Shell Road to Fame’ but she did not even make it to the semi finals. She managed to impress Don Laka,a musician and a producer, who included her in his project.
In 1998 she started her career with Bongo Maffin, one of the pioneering bands of Kwaito. She became widely recognised as the voice of South Africa’s conscious youth, their compositions consistently combining dance floor favourites with thought-provoking lyrics.
She later launched her solo career. Her first project, Zabalaza (2004), reached double platinum status and won numerous awards, including a Kora award for Best African Female and four South African Music Awards, including Best Album.
Thandiswa Mazwai Songs
- Nizalwa Ngobani
- Thongo I am
- Vana Vevhu
- Ntyilo Ntyilo
- West Wind
- Thath’ Isigubhu
- Transkei Moon
Thandiswa Mazwai Awards
- 2004: Best Female, Southern Africa at Kora Africa Music Award
- 2004: Best Female Artist at Metro FM Awards
- 2004: Best Female Artist at Kora Africa Music Award
- 2005: Best African Contemporary Album at South Africa Music Awards
- 2005: Best Female Artist at South Africa Music Awards
- 2005: Arts and Culture Award at Metropolitan Eastern Cape Awards
- 2008: Female Artist of the Decade at Pan African Language Board
- 2008: Song of the Decade ‘Nizalwa Ngobani’ at Pan African Language Board
- 2011: Best Female Artist “Dance for the forgotten free” at South African Music Award.
- 2011: Best contemporary DVD “Dance for the forgotten free” at South African Music Award.
She was romantically involved with Stoan Seate, a musician and presenter, and they have one daughter but thet are no longer together but they co parent.
Thandiswa Mazwai PhotoThandiswa Mazwai
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.