Tom Hanks Biography / Wiki
Tom Hanks, an American actor, and the filmmaker who was born Thomas Jeffrey Hanks in Concord, California. He is the son to Janet Marylyn Frager who was a hospital worker and Amos Mefford Hanks, an itinerant cook.
Hanks’s parents divorced when he was 5 years old, and he was raised, along with his older brother and sister, by his father, a chef named Amos. In 1977, Hanks was recruited to take part in the summer session of the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival in Lakewood Ohio.
Over the next three years, Hanks spent his summers acting in various productions of Shakespeare’s plays and his winters working backstage at a community theater company in Sacramento. He won the Cleveland Critics Circle Award for Best Actor in 1978, for his portrayal of Proteus in The Two Gentlemen of Verona.
Tom Hanks High School / Education
Hanks attended Skyline High School in Oakland, California where he acted in school plays, including South Pacific. Later he joined Chabot College in Hayward, California where he studied theater and transferred to California State University, Sacramento after two years.
Tom Hanks Age / Birthday
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks 9 July 1956 in Concord, California, United States. He is 69 years old as of 2019. He celebrates his birthday July 9th every eye.
Tom Hanks Height
Hanks stands at a height of 6 feet tall(1.85 m or 185 cm) and weighs about 175 lbs(80 kg). He has Salt & Pepper hair and Light Brown eye colour.
Tom Hanks Family / Parents / Father
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks was born to his father, Amos Mefford Hanks who was born on 9 March 1924, Glenn County, California, United States and died on 31 January 1992, Alameda, California, the United States at an age of 67 years old and her mother, Janet Marylyn Frager who was born on 18 January 1932, Alameda County, California, United States and died 12 July 2016, at an age of 84. Hanks was born and brought up together with his two brothers, Jim Hanks and Larry Hanks and one sister, Sandra Hanks.
Tom Hanks Brother / Siblings
Hanks has two brothers namely; Jim Hanks(Full name: James Mathew Hanks) who is an American actor, voice actor, director, producer, cinematographer, and camera operator, he was born on 15 June 1961 in Shasta County, California, United States, hence 58 years old as of 2019 and Larry Hanks(Full name: Lawrence Michael “Larry”) he was born on 26 January 1953, thus as of 2019 he is 67 years old. Larry Hanks is an American entomologist and professor in the Department of Entomology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He also has a sister called Sandra Hanks.
Tom Hanks Wife / Wilson / First Wife
Hanks is married to actress Rita Wilson. The couple married in 1988 and together they are blessed with two kids namely; Chester and Truman. The two co-starred in Volunteers. Together with their children, they reside in Los Angeles, California, and Ketchum, Idaho.
Tom Hanks met his first wife, actress and producer Samantha Lewes whose real name is Susan Dillingham, while he was in college. They were married in 1978 and had two children, Colin Hanks and Elizabeth, before divorcing in 1987.
Tom Hanks Children / Kids
Tom Hanks and his first wife actress and producer Samantha Lewes have two kids and also he and Wilson have two children, Chester and Truman.
Tom Hanks Sons / Rapper Son
Hanks has three sons namely: Colin Lewes Hanks(the United States is an American actor, producer, and director) who was born 24 November 1977 in Sacramento, California, as of 2019 he is 42 years old, Chet Hanks, born 4 August 1990 in Los Angeles, California, United States, thus 29 years old as of 2019 and Truman Theodore Hanks, born 26 December 1995 in Los Angeles, California, United States, he is 24 years old as of 2019.
Tom Hanks Daughter
Hanks has a daughter named Elizabeth Ann Hanks who was born on 17 May 1982 in Los Angeles, California, United States. She is 37 years old as of 2019. She was born to Tom Hanks and Samantha Lewes.
Tom Hanks Granddaughter
Hanks has two granddaughters namely: Olivia Jane Hanks and Charlotte Bryant Hanks who was born in 2013.
Tom Hanks Death / Dead
Tom Hanks’ upcoming Fred Rogers biopic had been temporarily shut down while the death of James Emswiller( Sound mixer was been investigated). The crew member, James Emswiller who died at an age of 61 years, was taking a smoke break on a balcony on set when other crew members reportedly heard a noise and discovered that he had fallen from the balcony. Hanks himself is alive and in good health.
Tom Hanks Diabetes
The Oscar-winning actor reported that he is suffering type 2 diabetes when David Letterman who is a late-night host commented on his newly slim figure in October 2013. Hanks said that the condition is controllable, but he joked that he could not get back down to his high-school weight of 96 pounds.
Tom Hanks Religion
Hanks believes in God, While his’ family religious history was Catholic and Mormon, he has characterized his teenage self as being a “Bible-toting evangelical” for several along time.
Tom Hanks Salary
He earned $40 million for Saving Private Ryan in 1998 and $70 million for Forrest Gump in 1994. Hanks earned $45 million, and he placed third on Forbes’ list of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood In 2010.
Hanks gained a huge salary from his movies such as Angels & Demons and Larry Crowne. He was ranked by Forbes number 12 on its list of the world’s highest-paid actors for his $31 million salary in 2017.
Tom Hanks Net Worth
The actor, director, writer and producer, Tom Hanks has an estimated net worth of $400 million dollars. He among the most famous, highest-regarded, and best-paid actors in Hollywood. His total domestic lifetime box office gross exceeds $4.6 billion.
Tom Hanks House / Home
The producer, director, and box-office star, and his wife, actress-producer Rita Wilson, have cast away a pair of homes in Pacific Palisades for a combined sum of about $17.5 million.
It is located in the Palisades Riviera area, the side-by-side homes had been listed for $9.25 million and $8.75 million. Hanks and WilsonThe couple acquired the properties in separate off-market transactions in 2003 and 2007 for a combined $13.1 million. One of the two properties is a Spanish-style villa that was once owned by late Frank Pierson who was a screenwriter and film director.
Tom Hanks Big / Dan Brown
In 1988, he was finally cast in a star-making role in director Penny Marshall’s Big, playing a 13-year-old boy transplanted overnight into the body of a 35-year-old man. His performance charmed both critics and audiences and earned him his first Academy Award nomination for best actor.
Over the next several years, however, his projects failed to match the critical or commercial success of that film. In 1993, Tom Hanks emerged with two huge hits: Sleepless in Seattle, a romantic comedy and Philadelphia where Hanks played a lawyer fired from his high-paying firm because he has AIDS.
Later in 1994, Tom Hanks landed a role in the blockbuster Forrest Gump which grossed a worldwide total of over $600 million at the box office. Hanks next big hit was in the highly anticipated film The Da Vinci Code, based on the best-selling novel by Dan Brown. The film was released on May 19, 2006, in the U.S. and grossed over US$750 million worldwide.
Tom Hanks Politics And Activism
Hanks supports same-sex marriage, environmental causes, and alternative fuels. He has donated to many Democratic politicians, and during the 2008 United States presidential election uploaded a video to his MySpace account endorsing Barack Obama. He also narrated a 2012 documentary, The Road We’ve Traveled, created by Obama for America. In 2016, Hanks endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.
Hanks was outspoken about his opposition to the 2008 Proposition 8, an amendment to the California constitution that defined marriage as a union only between a man and a woman. Hanks and others raised over US$44 million to campaign against the proposition, in contrast to the supporters’ $39 million, but Proposition 8 passed with 52% of the vote.
It was overruled in June 2013, when the Ninth Circuit lifted its stay of the district court’s ruling, enabling Governor Jerry Brown to order same-sex marriage officiations to resume. While premiering a TV series in January 2009, Hanks called supporters of Proposition 8 “un-American” and criticized the LDS Church members, who were major proponents of the bill, for their views on marriage and role in supporting the bill. About a week later, he apologized for the remark, saying that nothing is more American than voting one’s conscience.
A proponent of environmentalism, Hanks is an investor in electric vehicles and owns a Toyota RAV4 EV and the first production AC Propulsion eBox. He was a lessee of an EV1 before it was recalled, as chronicled in the documentary Who Killed the Electric Car? He was on the waiting list for an Aptera 2 Series.
Hanks serves as campaign chair of the Hidden Heroes Campaign of the Elizabeth Dole Foundation. The stated mission of the campaign is to inspire a national movement to more effectively support military and veteran caregivers.
Tom Hanks Oscars / Forrest Gump
Hanks has been honored with numerous awards and nominations as an actor, director, producer, screenwriter, and filmmaker: They include two consecutive Oscars for Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994). He has received awards that amount to 50.
Tom Hanks Related To Mr. Rogers / Mr. Rogers Movie / Fred Rogers
Hanks just found out on November 20. 2019, that he and Fred Rogers(who played Mister Rogers on the children’s TV show)are related. The pair are sixth cousins, their common ancestor was Johannes Meffert. “It all just comes together, you see,” Hanks is played Mister Rogers in the upcoming film, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” Hanks says he did not know they were related when he took the role.
Tom Hanks First Movie
Hanks moved to New York City in 1979, where he made his film debut in the low-budget slasher film “He Knows You’re Alone” (1980) and landed a starring role in the television movie Mazes and Monsters.
Tom Hanks Airport Movie / Terminal
Hanks plays the victim of the modern world“The Terminal”. That a man could spend months stuck in diplomatic limbo living in an airport may seem far-fetched. The movie is inspired by a real-life character who is living at a terminal one of Paris Charles De Gaulle airport.
Tom Hanks Pirate Movie / Captain Phillips / Ship Movie
Captain Phillips which was first released on10 October 2013 in Australia is a 2013 American biographical drama-thriller film directed by Paul Greengrass and starring Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi. Somali pirates attack Maersk Alabama, a container ship, while it is on its course to Kenya. Richard Phillips, the captain of the ship, uses his wits to negotiate with them to save his crew.
Tom Hanks Baseball Movie
Hanks starred in the American sports comedy-drama in 1992 called”A League of Their Own”. The comedy tells about a fictionalized account of the real-life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). Among other stars are Geena Davis, Madonna, Rosie O’Donnell, and Lori Petty. It was directed by Penny Marshall.
Tom Hanks Dog Movie
Tom Hanks and Beasley the Dog as the eponymous characters respectively appeared in 1989 American buddy cop comedy film called”Turner & Hooch”. Mare Winningham, Craig T. Nelson, and Reginald VelJohnson were among the co-stars.
Tom Hanks Legacy And Impact
Hanks is believed to be amiable and congenial to his fans. He has frequently been referred to as “America’s Dad”. In 2013, when he was starring in Nora Ephron’s Lucky Guy on Broadway, he had crowds of 300 fans waiting for a glimpse of him after every performance. This is the highest number of expectant fans post-show of any Broadway performance.
Hanks is ranked as the third-highest all-time box office star in North America, with a total gross of over $4.5 billion at the North American box office, an average of $100.8 million per film. Worldwide, his films have grossed over $9.0 billion. Asteroid 12818 Tom Hanks is named after him.
Tom Hanks Christmas Movie / In Polar Express
Tom starred in a 2004 American computer-animated adventure film called”The Polar Express” based on the 1985 children’s book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg, who also served as one of the executive producers on the film. Also, he was one of the film’s executive producers, in multiple distinct roles, with Daryl Sabara, Nona Gaye, Jimmy Bennett and Eddie Deezen in supporting roles.
Tom Hanks Awards / Castaway / Philadelphia
- Academy Award for Best Actor 1995, 1994
- Forrest Gump, Philadelphia AFI Life Achievement Award 2002
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture – Drama 2001, 1995, 1994 ·
- Cast Away, Forrest Gump, Philadelphia Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy 1989 ·
- Big Kennedy Center Honors 2014
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role 1995 ·
- Forrest Gump Presidential Medal of Freedom 2016
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Limited Series 2015, 2010, 2008, … ·
- Olive Kitteridge, The Pacific, John Adams, … Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture 1996 ·
- Apollo 13 New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor 2000 ·
- Cast Away National Board of Review Award for Best Actor 1994 ·
- Forrest Gump People’s Choice Award for Favorite Movie Actor 2002, 1999, 1996 ·
- Cast Away, Apollo 13 Saturn Award for Best Actor 1990 ·
- Big MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance 1994 ·
- Philadelphia Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film 2004 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special 2002 ·
- Band of Brothers People’s Choice Award for Favorite Dramatic Movie Actor 2017, 2002, 1996, … ·
- Cast Away, Apollo 13, Forrest Gump Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor 1988 · Big, Punchline Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award 2020
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Chemistry 2001 ·
- Cast Away Empire Award for Best Actor 1999 ·
- Saving Private Ryan Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor 2000, 1995 ·
- Cast Away, Forrest Gump Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries or Movie 2012 ·
- Game Change Funniest Actor In A Motion Picture (Leading Role) 1995, 1989 · Forrest Gump, Big Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor 2000 ·
- Cast Away Dallas–Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor 1995 · Forrest Gump Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Ensemble Cast Performance 1999 ·
- Saving Private Ryan Blockbuster Entertainment Award for Favorite Actor – Drama 2000, 1999 ·
- The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor 1994 ·
- Forrest Gump Bambi – International Film 2004 ·
- The Polar Express Norman Lear Achievement Award in Television 2011
- TV Land Anniversary Award 2010 ·
- Bosom Buddies American Comedy Award for Funniest Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture 1993 ·
- A-League of Their Own People’s Choice Award for Favorite All-Time Entertainer 2004
- TV Land Little Screen/Big Screen Star (Men) Award 2007
- PGA Vision Award for Television 1999 ·
- From the Earth to the Moon Audie Award for History/Biography 2016 ·
- A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts Producers Guild of America Award for Best Long-Form Television 2013, 2011, 2009, … ·
- Game Change, The Pacific, John Adams, … Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award for Lead Performance 2019
- · Henry IV
Tom Hanks Characters
Fictional Characters/Tom Hanks
- Sheriff Woody – Toy Story 4
- Chuck Noland – Cast Away
- Captain Miller – Saving Private Ryan
- Andrew Beckett – Philadelphia
- Carl Hanratty – Catch Me If You Can
- Paul Edgecomb – The Green Mile
- Jimmy Dugan – A League of Their Own
- Sam Baldwin – Sleepless in Seattle
- Viktor Navorski – The Terminal
- Allen Bauer – Splash
- Robert Langdon – The Da Vinci Code
- Det. Scott Turner – Turner & Hooch
- Michael Sullivan – Road to Perdition
- Joe Fox – You’ve Got Mail
- Hero Boy – The Polar Express Forrest Gump
- Forrest Gump –
- Professor G.H. Dorr – The Ladykillers
- Sherman McCoy – The Bonfire of the Vanities
- Dr. Henry – Goose Cloud Atlas
- Ebenezer Scrooge – The Polar Express
- David S. Pumpkins – Animated Halloween Special
- Ray Peterson – The ‘Burbs
- Walter Fielding, Jr. – The Money Pit
- Rick Gassko – Bachelor Party
- Lawrence Whatley – Bourne III Volunteers
- David Basner – Nothing in Common
- Josh Baskin –
- Mike Radio – Flyer
- Mailbox Elvis – Elvis Has Left the Building
- Steven Gold – Punchline
- Isaac Sachs – Cloud Atlas
- Thomas Schell – Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- Eamon Bailey – The Circle
- Mr. Gable – The Great Buck Howard
- Woody – Car Cars
- Mr. White – That Thing You Do!
- Dermot Hoggins – Cloud Atlas
- Buffy Wilson – Bosom Buddies
- Robbie Wheeling – Mazes and Monsters
- Joe Joe – Versus the Volcano
- Kip Wilson – Bosom Buddies
- Hotel Manager – Cloud Atlas
- Alan Clay – A Hologram for the King
- Dr. Dwayne – Twitchell Happy Days
- Jean Luc – Despont From the Earth to the Moon François Perrin The Man with One Red Shoe
- David Bradley – Every Time We Say Goodbye
- Cleveland Carr – Electric City
- Chesley – “Sully” Sullenberger Sully: Miracle on the Hudson
- Ben Bradlee – The Post
Tom Hanks Books / Toy Story
- Uncommon Type – 2017
- Toy Story 3 Read-Along Storybook and CD – 2010
Tom Hanks Movies / Movies With Tom Hanks / List Of Movies / Best Movies / Films / Inferno /Apollo 13 / Greek
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 2019
- Forrest Gump 1994
- Cast Away 2000
- Saving Private Ryan 1998
- Big 1988
- Captain Phillips 2013
- The Green Mile 1999
- Philadelphia 1993
- Sleepless in Seattle 1993
- Catch Me If You Can 2002
- Sully: Miracle on the Hudson 2016
- Apollo 13 1995
- The Terminal 2004
- The Da Vinci Code 2006
- You’ve Got Mail 1998
- A-League of Their Own 1992
- Bridge of Spies 2015
- Road to Perdition 2002
- Toy Story 4 2019
- Saving Mr. Banks 2013
- Splash 1984
- Angels & Demons 2009
- That Thing You Do! 1996
- The Polar Express 2004
- Charlie Wilson’s War 2007
- The Money Pit 1986
- The Post 2017
- Cloud Atlas 2012
- Toy Story 3 2010
- Turner & Hooch 1989
- The ‘Burbs 1989
- Inferno 2016
- Larry Crowne 2011
- Joe Versus the Volcano 1990
- The Circle 2017
- Bachelor Party 1984
- A Hologram for the King 2016
- The Ladykillers 2004
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close 2011
- Nothing in Common 1986
- He Knows You’re Alone 1980
- Dragnet 1987 Punchline 1988
- The Bonfire of the Vanities 1990
- The Great Buck Howard 2008
- The Man with One Red Shoe 1985
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2002
- Every Time We Say Goodbye 1986
- Where the Wild Things Are 2009
- The Ant Bully 2006 Volunteers 1985
Tom Hanks And Meg Ryan Movies / Meg Ryan
- You’ve Got Mail 1998
- Joe Versus the Volcano 1990
- Everything Is Copy 2015
- Sleepless in Seattle 1993
- Ithaca 2015
Tom Hanks War Movie / Greyhound
MoviesWar Tom Hanks
- Saving Private Ryan 1998
- Charlie Wilson’s War 2007
- Bridge of Spies 2015
- Greyhound 2020
- Every Time We Say Goodbye 1986
- Ithaca 2015
- Beyond All Boundaries 2009
- Shooting War
Tom Hanks Movies 2019 / 2019
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- Toy Story 4
Tom Hanks New Movies / Latest Movie
- Greyhound -2020
- News of the World – 2020
- Bios -2020
- Untitled Elvis Presley film – 2021
Tom Hanks Quotes
- If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. It’s the hard that makes it great.
- It’s always a combination of physics and poetry that I find inspiring. It’s hard to wrap your head around things like the Hubble scope.
- I’ve made over 20 movies, and 5 of them are good.
- Movie-making is telling a story with the best technology at your disposal.
- Everybody has something that chews them up and, for me, that thing was always loneliness. The cinema has the power to make you not feel lonely, even when you are.
- And I’m not apolitical – I’m very specific in my politics. But a lot of the time it’s nobody’s business unless you’re over at my house having dinner.
- My favorite traditional Christmas movie that I like to watch is All Quiet on the Western Front. It’s just not December without that movie in my house.
- From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It’s not a miracle; we just decided to go.
- It’s just as hard… staying happily married as it is doing movies.
- At the end of the day it’s got to be a good movie, it’s got to be a funny movie, and it’s got to make people think, ’Hey, I couldn’t have spent my time any better.’
Quick Facts About Tom Hanks
Frequently Asked Questions About Tom Hanks
Who is Tom Hanks?
Tom Hanks is an American actor whose cheerful everyman persona made him a natural for starring roles in many popular films. In the 1990s he expanded his comedic repertoire and began portraying lead characters in dramas.
How old is Tom Hanks?
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks is 69 years old as of 2019. He was born on 9 July 1956 in Concord, California, United States.
How tall is Tom Hanks?
Hanks stands at a height of 6 feet tall(1.85 m or 185 cm).
Is Tom Hanks married?
Yes, he is married to Rita Wilson. The couple married in 1988 and together they are blessed with two kids namely; Chester and Truman. Together with their children, they reside in Los Angeles, California, and Ketchum, Idaho. Before he was married to his first wife, Samantha Lewes(Real name: Susan Dillingham). They were married in 1978 and had two children, Colin and Elizabeth, before divorcing in 1987.
How much is Tom Hanks worth?
Hanks has an approximate net worth of $400 million dollars. This amount has been accrued from his leading roles in the entertainment industry.
How much does Tom Hanks make?
He earned $40 million for Saving Private Ryan in 1998 and $70 million for Forrest Gump in 1994. Hanks earned $45 million, and he placed third on Forbes’ list of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood In 2010. Hanks gained a huge salary from his movies such as Angels & Demons and Larry Crowne. He was ranked by Forbes number 12 on its list of the world’s highest-paid actors for his $31 million salary in 2017.
Where does Tom Hanks live?
Hanks is a resident of in Los Angeles, California, and Ketchum, Idaho., we shall upload pictures of his house as soon as we have them.
Is Tom Hanks dead or alive?
Hanks is alive and in good health. He reported that he has type 2 diabetes but the condition is controllable.
Where is Tom Hanks now?
Actor: Tom Hanks is still an active participant in the creative entertainment industry, he is a cast member of the newly unreleased series “Untitled Elvis Presley film”, which will be released in 2021.
How Many Movies Tom Hanks Has Been In?
Hanks has been in at least 72 movies.
Where is Tom Hanks filming now?
Hanks is back in New Mexico as work is underway on “News of the World,” a post-Civil War adventure saga filming in and around Santa Fe. By Associated Press, Wire Service Content. He is in New Mexico working on another film.
What does Tom Hanks play in?
Hanks is known for his comedic and dramatic roles in such films as Splash (1984), Big (1988), Turner & Hooch (1989), A League of Their Own (1992), Sleepless in Seattle (1993), Forrest Gump (1994), Apollo 13 (1995), You’ve Got Mail (1998), The Green Mile (1999), Cast Away (2000), Road to Perdition (2002), Cloud Atlas and many more.
Where did Tom Hanks go to college?
Hanks attended California State University, Sacramento and Chabot College.
How much did Tom Hanks make Toy Story?
Forrest Gump ($330.3 million) Toy Story 4 ($256.8 million) Toy Story 2 ($245.9 million) Cast Away ($233.6 million)
Tom Hanks Uncommon Type Audiobook
Tom Hanks Twitter
Tom Hanks Instagram
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to email@example.com indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.