Mark Thomas Biography
Mark Thomas (Mark Clifford Thomas) is an English comedian, presenter, political satirist and journalist best known for political stunts on his show, The Mark Thomas Comedy Product on Channel 4.
He became known as a guest comic on the BBC Radio 1 comedy show The Mary Whitehouse Experience in the late 1980s. Thomas describes himself as a “libertarian anarchist”.
Mark Thomas Age / Birthday
Thomas was born on April 11, 1963, in London, England, UK. He is 55 years old as of April 2018.
Mark Thomas Wife
Thomas is married and has two children. The identities of his wife and children are under review.
Mark Thomas Height
Thomas is 1.67 meters tall.
Mark Thomas Career
Thomas initially worked with his father on construction businesses. He began doing stand-up gigs in 1985 and also wrote material for the famous Irish comedian, Dave Allen. In the 1980s, he worked as a regular presenter at the Comedy Store in Leicester Square and performed regular gigs for students in cultural festivals, television, and radio. By 1989, he was a regular on ‘The Mary Whitehouse Experience’, a show for Radio One.
In 1990, he founded the Cutting Edge comedy show. That same year, he co-hosted the talk show, ‘Loose Talk’ in 1991, along with Kevin Day. He regularly appeared on ‘Booked!’ from 1995 to 1998, which slowly moved him to popularity.
His very own television show, ‘The Mark Thomas Comedy Product’, premiered on February 23, 1996, on Channel 4. With his unique ways and surreal sense of humor, he often interviewed or confronted politicians and also highlighted important world issues.
In 1998, as a part of the show’s reports, he investigated how the wealthy avoid inheritance tax by making their assets available for public viewing. Consequently, the-then Chancellor of Exchequer, Gordon Brown, changed taxation laws in the following budget. In the following decade, he frequently contributed articles to the columns in the political magazine, ‘New Statesman’ from 2001 to 2007.
Apart from contributing columns, Thomas has also authored ‘As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela’, an investigation into the International Arms Trade in 2006. He authored ‘Belching Out the Devil’, an expose of the Coca Cola Company, in 2008.
His other publications include, ‘It’s the Stupid Economy’, ‘Extreme Rambling-Walking the Wall’ and ‘Bravo Figaro’. His latest radio project of the same title, ‘Bravo Figaro’, which is a solo stand-up show, is currently enjoying a run on BBC Radio 4, in 2013.
Mark Thomas Television
- Friday Night Live, Channel 4 (1988)
- Saturday Zoo, Channel 4 (1993)
- Viva Cabaret, Channel 4 (1993)
- Denton, Channel 7 Australia (1994)
- The Mark Thomas Comedy Product (later renamed The Mark
- Thomas Product), Channel 4 which ran for six series totaling 45 episodes (1996–2002)
- Dispatches: The Lie Of The Land, Channel 4 (1998)
- Thomas Country, Channel 4 (1999)
- The Immigration and Asylum Bill, Channel 5 (2000)
- Secret Map of Britain, Channel 4 (2002)
- Dispatches: Mark Thomas — Broom Cupboard Inspector, Channel 4 (2003)
- Dispatches: Mark Thomas — Debt Collector, Channel 4 (2003)
- Dispatches: After School Arms Club, Channel 4 (2006)
- Dispatches: Mark Thomas on Coca Cola, Channel 4 (2007)
- The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Radio 1 (1989)
- The Mix, Radio 5 (1990)
- Sleeping with the NME, Radio 5 (1991)
- Loose Talk, Radio 1 (1991–1992)
- Booked!, Radio 4 (1995–1998)
- Celluloid Psychiatrists, Radio 4 (2000)
- Left Bank of the Mind, Radio 4 (2001)
- Mark Thomas Presents…, Radio 4 (2005) (shows on Stan Freberg, the Firesign Theatre, Shelley Berman and Mort Sahl)
- Chain Reaction, Radio 4 (2006)
- My Life in Serious Organised Crime, Radio 4 (2007)
- Ramblings, Radio 4 (2008) (walking The Ridgeway track in Wiltshire and Oxfordshire)
- Mark Thomas: The Manifesto Radio 4 (2009–present)
- Bravo Figaro, Radio 4 (2013)
- Sex, Filth, and Religion (video) (1995)
- Live (1998)
- Dambusters (2001)
- The Night War Broke Out (2004)
- Mark Thomas Comedy Show ([DVD)] (2005)
- Mark Thomas: Serious Organised Criminal (DVD) (2007)
- Bravo Figaro (2013)
- As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground Adventures in the Arms and Torture Trade (2007)
- Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola (2009)
- Mark Thomas Presents the People’s Manifesto (2010)
- Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel’s Separation Barrier. For Fun. (2011)
- 100 Acts of Minor Dissent (2015)
- The Liar’s Quartet: Bravo Figaro!, Cuckooed, The Red Shed – Playscripts, Notes, and Commentary (2017)
- As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela… (2006)
- Serious Organised Criminal (2007)
- Belching Out The Devil (2008)
- It’s the Stupid Economy (2009)
- Extreme Rambling – Walking the Wall (2011)
- Bravo Figaro (2012)
- 100 Acts of Minor Dissent (2013)
- Cuckooed (2014)
- Trespass (2015)
- The Red Shed (2017)
- “Showtime from the Frontline” (2018)
Mark Thomas Awards
- Time Out Comedy Award (1990)
- Perrier Comedy Award nominee (1992)
- Kurdish National Congress Medal of Honour (2002)
- International Service Award for the Global Defence of Human Rights (2004)
- MediActivist Awards (2005)
- Former Guinness World Record Holder for Most Number of
- Political Demonstrations in 24 Hours
Mark Thomas Website
To visit Thomas website click here.